Gransnet forums

Technology

Laptop refuses to allow me to log on

(17 Posts)
Grammaretto Thu 14-Apr-22 09:24:42

Can any of you techie people advise? As of yesterday, the front page comes on but there is no box for me to put my password.
Have I been scammed?
Is it a technical fault?
Do I need to get someone in to help?
This smart phone does most things but I use the laptop a lot.

Doodledog Thu 14-Apr-22 09:27:39

When you say 'the front page', what do you mean? The screen with a photo or similar?

Also, are you using a PC or a Mac?

And the inevitable question - have you tried turning it off and on again? grin

Sago Thu 14-Apr-22 09:34:38

Is it a Mac?

Redhead56 Thu 14-Apr-22 09:36:07

Re boot it maybe?

Chardy Thu 14-Apr-22 09:49:37

Having just been reading about dogs not on leads, I read this as
Lapdog refuses to allow me to log on

Doodledog Thu 14-Apr-22 10:54:32

I'm going out in a minute, but if you're reading, my advice would be to switch it off properly (with the button on the top right of a Mac, and Control+Power button (bottom right) on a PC.

Leave it off for 30 seconds or so, then start it up again.

That will often iron out any blips, but if it doesn't, post again and someone will no doubt get back to you.

Grammaretto Thu 14-Apr-22 13:30:10

Thanks everyone. It won't switch off.

Farmor15 Thu 14-Apr-22 14:19:38

Keep holding down power button if you have one - will usually switch off eventually. Alternatively, take out power lead and battery will run down after a few hours. Then you can replace power lead and try turning on again

Blossoming Thu 14-Apr-22 14:26:54

Does Ctrl-Alt-Del work? You should be able to force a shutdown using those. Then wait a while and reboot.

Doodledog Thu 14-Apr-22 17:39:01

Is it a Mac or a Windows laptop?

Jaxjacky Thu 14-Apr-22 18:47:05

Try removing the battery to switch off, may need a small screwdriver, then replace it and restart.

Grammaretto Thu 14-Apr-22 19:11:25

It's windows HP.
I've been out all day but no joy with it so I have unplugged it and will try again later
Thanks for all your suggestions. You are kind.

Katie59 Thu 14-Apr-22 20:28:06

If removing and replacing the battery does not work then you probably have a computer repair shop in your town who can fix it.

blossom14 Thu 14-Apr-22 20:44:43

Grammaretto I have an elderly HP laptop. There have been 2 windows updates today which sent mine have into a spin

Also the password box on the front screen refused to appear until I rebooted

Good luck

Doodledog Thu 14-Apr-22 21:22:05

Ok. Look on the underside of the laptop and see if there is a pinhole near the battery.

If you can, remove the battery (probably under the screen) and leave it out for 30 seconds to power it right down. Then replace the battery, and stick an opened paperclip or similar in the pinhole. Poke it down quite firmly.

This may restart the battery connection. It's worth a try before taking it to a repair shop, as they will charge you for diagnosing the problem.

Grammaretto Thu 14-Apr-22 21:48:31

Thanks. I switched it off for a couple of hours . When I restarted it, it worked, password box reappeared, although it seems to be very slow.
I may get it looked at by the repair guy.

Doodledog Thu 14-Apr-22 22:01:33

That's good news.

Computers are a real pain when they go wrong!