Gransnet forums

Technology

Facebook

(11 Posts)
Allsorts Thu 16-Jun-22 16:43:07

I want to use Facebook purely to see what is going on in the area and for business recommendations, I don’t want people knowing what I am doing, wish to be private. I know to register I have to use my e mail address, which no one can see, but don’t want my name and birthday showing, just to be anonymous. Thank you.

BlueBelle Thu 16-Jun-22 16:52:10

Your details will show as much or as little as you tick the privacy boxes for You can be totally anonymous if you wish

ExDancer Thu 16-Jun-22 16:54:06

I'm not quite sure of what to make of that.
Do you mean you want to 'spy' on people and read all about their day to day activities, the weddings and parties they attend, what they grow in their gardens and so on - without giving out information about yourself?
Yes, I can do that.
I have a friend who does do exactly that.
I find it faintly sinister.

Or have I missed the point?

kircubbin2000 Thu 16-Jun-22 16:58:08

ExDancer

Do you mean you want to 'spy' on people and read all about their day to day activities, the weddings and parties they attend, what they grow in their gardens and so on - without giving out information about yourself?
Yes, I can do that.

Strange to find that sinister! Some people like to share everything some don't. If you want to see what local groups are doing and what is happening where you live it's hardly spying.

MerylStreep Thu 16-Jun-22 17:05:48

Allsorts
Just like me, then ? No pictures, information except what my family put up.
If you want local news, why not join Next Door
I would ask you to be very very careful when buying. You will see very tempting offers from world wide famous companies: they’re shysters.

Mogsmaw Thu 16-Jun-22 17:15:27

As to your birthday, I got a bit freaked by a public information film about identity fraud so I changed my date of birth on Facebook. I scrolled the year back as far as it would go and clicked that. I then thought better of it and tried to change it to something more sensible but you can only change your birthdate once! So I’m about 130 years old, feeling great, considering.

Oldbat1 Thu 16-Jun-22 17:23:41

I’m on Facebook but limit who can see what eg photographs, dob, family information. Local Facebook groups are very informative about events, I belong to many dog groups, walking groups, caravan groups, local for sale groups. Like any online groups some folk are argumentative and opinionated.

ElaineI Thu 16-Jun-22 20:32:55

You can make up a name and. put a picture of a flower or something and not you. They need your email but keep it private. Use all the privacy settings and no-one should be able to identify you. There are lots of adverts but you can modify that however just scroll by and don't click on them.

Visgir1 Thu 16-Jun-22 21:01:59

I have FB but only because I have a few shares in some Racehorses this tends to be the only platform for comments to the syndicate.

I have not added anything or anyone else.

MayBee70 Fri 17-Jun-22 14:10:36

ExDancer

Yes, I can do that.

I know what she means. I’ve just used our local page to get a recommendation for some building work I need doing. And it’s really good for when cats go missing: several of them have been found this way. The good thing is when you ask for a recommendation on our page your name isn’t mentioned so if eg you’ve lost a set of keys no one knows who you are. I found a leather glove last year and reunited it with it’s owner.

lemsip Fri 17-Jun-22 15:08:25

I tick 'only me' on account options and use the account just as you want to! No friends at all on the site!

you've missed the point exdancer