Gransnet forums

Technology

Palm swiping

(7 Posts)
Namsnanny Wed 24-Aug-22 09:55:09

Amazon have rolled out the technology in 65 stores in California, to enable the use of the palm of your hand instead of swiping your card for payment.

Biometrics and data creep one step forward?

Or progress?

vampirequeen Wed 24-Aug-22 10:28:33

The idea of having a chip implanted in my hand really spooks me. I think I may have read/watched too much dystopian future sci fi but it feels like it's the thin edge of the wedge. What's to stop it evolving into people being chipped at birth so that they can be monitored throughout their life? Of course it wouldn't be introduced as such. It would be for health or other seemingly innocent purposes but once used to being chipped then other less innocent purposes could be introduced.

Namsnanny Wed 24-Aug-22 11:17:49

I understand your worries vampirequeen.

I've read over and over that data is the new oil. Meaning I suppose that it is highly prized.

With this system, there is no chip. Just a recognition of your palm.

Amazon have insisted they will not sell or use our info. But I believe they have form.

Allsorts Sat 22-Oct-22 07:24:20

As long as people are involved there’s always one person who will cross the line.

Blossoming Sat 22-Oct-22 13:06:20

They must be storing that data somewhere, in order to match palm to payment method. No doubt it’s encrypted but bank data is encrypted and there have been data breaches with those.

FannyCornforth Sat 22-Oct-22 13:14:45

Ooh, I’ve just thought of some rather ghoulish things that could happen ?

MerylStreep Sat 22-Oct-22 13:24:44

This has been up and running for a couple of years.
Some seem to be getting twitchy about this but I assume most of you use Google as your search engine.
Where do you think all that info goes.

techcrunch.com/2022/08/10/amazon-expands-palm-scanning-payment-tech-to-65-more-whole-foods-locations/?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKcjUVBKYcbLyn3SWSHaCO5gBACE1b0uJPB1v1D99ewnAfkz7iZVHJrMUPUxivH0v8steeGcDRhOL3d-sqO1obzmM_u9_X40UuGVquL9IKeSBlHglK9JjMRKJ1MVg6Q4yvL3RwY2x47FTdTUJqYxcfnwhinSsuQ7ArjPVL2DGlAz