Gransnet forums

Technology

I phone 6s

(7 Posts)
Allsorts Sat 22-Oct-22 07:20:32

Has anyone else got this phone. If so I wonder if you could help me. I cannot get What’s app once I leave my house even with mobile data on. When I leave home I switch Wi-Fi off and out on mobile data. Is this correct or should wifi and mobile data be on always. I also switch off phone overnight, is this wrong? I’m missing. I would prefer not to have What’s App but the people I know say it’s the only way to keep in touch as they use all their other data quickly, lucky people I hardly use my messages now and I have so many phone calls left each month because of this. Thank you

whole time.

Missedout Sat 22-Oct-22 10:36:26

Hello Allsorts, I have 'Googled' your problem and I'm afraid I have bad news. WhatsApp is to stop working on older phones (iPhone 6 is listed among those) from 1st November. So there is very little point in trying to fix this.

As a general rule, you are doing the right things - switch to mobile data only while away from the house, it is much more secure than picking up random WiFi hotspots. There is also nothing wrong with turning off your phone overnight.

I use 'Do not disturb' setting overnight though, mainly because I may forget to turn my phone back on in the morning.

silverlining48 Sat 22-Oct-22 10:48:07

All hope lost then as my iPhone is a 5se.

Calendargirl Sat 22-Oct-22 10:56:07

Mine is an i phone SE, is that the same?

It was GD’s old one, it suits me fine, have had it nearly 2 years and really don’t want to change it. Took me long enough getting used to this one!

silverlining48 Sat 22-Oct-22 11:23:53

Think it’s the same. Is it quite small? My fat little fingers struggle but
I have had mine for about 6 years and mostly use it as a camera. I don’t use it to its Max but I am a bit of a Luddite in matters technical.

NanaBabs1 Sat 22-Oct-22 13:55:53

I have an iphone6 and my last iOS update was 12.5.6 a few weeks ago. I’ve no idea what that means, but it should be okay for WhatsApp. Dr. Google is saying the problem will be with phones that are unable to update beyond iOS 11. Again, whatever that means! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that it continues to update when necessary. I love my iPhone 6!

Missedout Sun 23-Oct-22 00:34:09

Having read the previous comment, I've looked at this again. NanaBabs1 is correct. If your iPhone operating system iOS is running on iOS version 10 or iOS version 11 it is likely to be capable of upgrading to iOS 12 and WhatsApp should continue to work (although you may have to update the WhatsApp application too).

"WhatsApp will stop supporting these older versions of iOS after 24 Oct 2022. Please go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update to get the latest iOS version."

If you do this the phone will download the newer version and install it. Be patient - the phone will restart at some stage - just leave it to do its stuff.

Everyone should be checking that they are using the latest operating system updates on all their devices, they often include critical security updates as well.

If you are worried about carrying out an iOS update yourself, most mobile phone shop staff will help you out.