Gransnet forums

Technology

Radio 4 fed by wifi changes 2023?

(21 Posts)
mokryna Thu 10-Nov-22 15:48:53

I am not very techie at all.
The only radio I listen to, has cutting into the BBC 4 programs, an announcement that, in 2023 I need to change the way I am listening, due to changes in the BBC.
I think/hope as a last resort I could listen through my iPad but I prefer to listen to my 10-year-old ‘Pure’ radio via WiFi(?). I thought I had the bee’s knees when I was finally dragged into using it. It seems ridiculous that my ‘new’ radio has to be retired and thrown out, like it’s predecessor a few years ago, before ‘Pure’ because the BBC has changed the method of broadcasting.
What can I do, do I have to buy yet another radio?

Chestnut Thu 10-Nov-22 16:04:22

Oh dear, I've no idea about 'Pure'. I bought a DAB radio which became out of date and then had to get a DAB+ radio. I think we will all have to get an Alexa, because you can just say 'Alexa play Radio 4' or any other channel, and that will probably carry on for years!

MerylStreep Thu 10-Nov-22 16:19:06

Get an Amazon Echo show. All the radio channels you want plus video calls. .

Lathyrus Thu 10-Nov-22 16:20:28

Will I be able to listen in the car?

Pittcity Thu 10-Nov-22 16:22:20

It'll be like when the TV switched from terrestrial to digital. The same is happening with phones.
Unfortunately some devices will become obsolete.
So annoying.

Pittcity Thu 10-Nov-22 16:24:07

Lathyrus

Will I be able to listen in the car?

If you've got a modern computerised setup, I should think you'll be OK.
It's AM and FM that will eventually go. Seems it's happening bit by bit.

mokryna Thu 10-Nov-22 18:00:04

Such a waste of manufactured products. So it will go into land fill?

Chestnut Thu 10-Nov-22 18:06:25

This waste has been happening since the 1960s. Every time TVs or white goods are upgraded, video tapes are replaced by DVDs, vinyl by CDs, and so on and so on. New machines, new consumables, new everything. Our wasteful society has so much to answer for.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Thu 10-Nov-22 18:08:16

So you dispose of all your vinyl LPs and then discover that they're back in fashion again and fetch high prices!

Chestnut Thu 10-Nov-22 18:13:23

Yes, been there and done that. Although my vinyl would not be worth anything as they were played to death and somewhat scratched during evenings sharing a bottle of wine.

NorthFace Thu 10-Nov-22 18:37:07

If you are listening to Radio 4 on a Pure DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) radio then nothing will change. It is analog services (AM/FM) which will eventually be switched off.

Unless I am missing something, the announcements you are hearing are aimed at people still listening on FM.

www.which.co.uk/reviews/radios/article/digital-radio-switchover-explained-a5kLI7S1BHQg

RAJAR figures indicate that a third of listeners still use analog. The article published last month says:

"Although the 50% mark [for digital listening] has now been passed, the government will carry out a review to decide how to progress so the switchover is unlikely to happen within the next two years.

So, there’s no rush to replace your old FM sets with a shiny new DAB one. You may also want to check the coverage in your area before you buy - find which stations you can expect to pick up with Digital Radio UK's coverage checker".

You don't need wifi to listen to DAB radio. Some sets can connect to your wifi so you can stream music from Spotify or access the vast range of online-only radio stations but you don't need it to listen to the main broadcast stations.

shysal Thu 10-Nov-22 19:53:46

I listen to the radio on my TV.

Oldbat1 Thu 10-Nov-22 22:06:39

I often listen to the radio via my tv or via my phone or via Alexa dot.

NanKate Thu 10-Nov-22 22:24:02

Yes I listen on my iPhone too. I just downloaded BBC Radio App for free and listen directly, or through ear phones and now my audiologist has linked them through my hearing aids.

mokryna Fri 11-Nov-22 10:26:35

Thank you NorthFace you have put my mind at rest, I don’t think I will be cut off…….. I’ll let you know if it happens.

FindingNemo15 Fri 11-Nov-22 10:32:07

I have an Alexa, but now it will not play any BBC programs unless I sign up to Amazon which I do not wish to do as it asks for my bank details.

Any suggestions?

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 10:41:58

Aren't you already signed up for Amazon deliveries, or have you never ordered from them? They have had my bank details for years! It's done me no harm.

Chestnut Fri 11-Nov-22 10:42:46

Or I should say my debit card details which is how I pay.

Pittcity Fri 11-Nov-22 15:54:41

FindingNemo15

I have an Alexa, but now it will not play any BBC programs unless I sign up to Amazon which I do not wish to do as it asks for my bank details.

Any suggestions?

This is a known Alexa problem.
www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/playback-issues/alexa-help

FindingNemo15 Sat 12-Nov-22 08:38:31

Chestnut I think I had an Amazon account years ago, but never used it. They ask for me to sign up to Amazon Prime and presumably pay which I do not want to do. Will stick to the programmes I can get.

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 10:55:28

FindingNemo15

Chestnut I think I had an Amazon account years ago, but never used it. They ask for me to sign up to Amazon Prime and presumably pay which I do not want to do. Will stick to the programmes I can get.

They really try and force Amazon Prime onto you and so far I have resisted, but you have to be very careful not to click the wrong thing when you order or it sets the wheels in motion for a free trial.