Gransnet forums

Technology

Best low energy use kettle?

(45 Posts)
Fleurpepper Fri 11-Nov-22 17:02:14

Ours has just conked out after many many years of service. I know it has become a joke because of Johnson, but

does anyone have info or a link to tests, as for WHICH, etc- about the best kettle to buy for low energy ratings. Thanks.

M0nica Tue 22-Nov-22 07:15:25

Environmentally it will be best to use an electric kettle as, over a year about half the electricity generated come from carbon neutral sources. It is 37% as I type gridwatch.co.uk/.

On a gas hob you are using nothing but a hydro carbon fuel so the CO2 emissions are much higher.

chelseababy Mon 21-Nov-22 21:03:38

We have started putting our camping kettle on top of the log burner. Just needs finishing on the hob.

Airedale19 Mon 21-Nov-22 20:55:49

I use a kettle with varying temperature settings for tea, coffee, herbal teas and a hot water bottle.

Grantanow Sun 13-Nov-22 12:03:36

The cheapest kettle to run is the one you only fill as much as you need, not to the top.

PamelaJ1 Sun 13-Nov-22 10:50:16

FarNorth

'different boiling temperatures' of water, tho?

😂😂 ours has 5 temperature settings! Not all at ‘boiling’ point though. Water for coffee has a lower temperature cut out than tea.
It’s a Sage.

JackyB Sun 13-Nov-22 08:48:45

FarNorth

'different boiling temperatures' of water, tho?

Green tea should be brewed with the water at 70°.

When I first set up house here in Germany, kettles weren't really a thing, but I managed to find one eventually. Typically German, it made everything more complicated and boiled at different temperatures - it even had a setting for warming baby bottles, so I found it very useful.

JackyB Sun 13-Nov-22 08:41:11

Oldnproud

I'm not a scientist, so expect to be corrected here, but won't it use the same amount of energy to heat X amount of water no matter what kettle you use? I just imagine that a low power kettle will do it more slowly than a high-power one, but with no saving either way.

I thought this, too, remembering physics lessons from school, but some kettles do apparently waste energy - e.g., I can imagine some of the wattage goes into heating a metal kettle whereas a plastic one will heat just the water.

BlueBalou Sun 13-Nov-22 07:32:13

Sorry for the clumsy post 🙄

BlueBalou Sun 13-Nov-22 07:31:42

These were the best kettles according to Which
Kenwood Dawn Collection ZJP09 front view
Kenwood
Dawn Collection ZJP09

£39.99View retailers
87%
Test score
DeLonghi Active KBLA3001.BK front view
DeLonghi
Active KBLA3001.BK

£42View retailers
82%
Test score
DeLonghi Active KBLA3001.R front view
DeLonghi
Active KBLA3001.R

£42View retailers
82%
Test score
View

Asda was the best retailer for kettles followed by Aldi 😊

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 23:55:03

No problem, I won't be using a kettle on the hob, just curious really. I'm going to get a water dispenser when my kettle packs up...........or maybe sooner. 🤔

Esspee Sat 12-Nov-22 19:55:09

Chestnut. I don’t have an answer to your question about comparing an electric kettle and an electric hob for costs but logic suggests that an internal heating element in an electric kettle would work more efficiently than a kettle sitting on an electric hob.

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 17:47:37

Farzanah

Chestnut I was under the wrong impression too as I’d never heard of these water dispensers. Thought it was the very pricey under sink tank ones.

Well neither had I heard of them, which is why I thought the other thread was interesting because people there are using them. I think lots of them come up if you search on Amazon and other sites for 'water dispenser'.

I really want someone with a smart meter and a water dispenser to compare the cost of that and an electric kettle!

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 17:43:58

Esspee

travelsafar

I was told if you have a gas hob buy a whistler kettle, it's cheaper than electric. Can anyone confirm this????

Some time ago I did a test by boiling a litre of water on the hob and in an electric kettle. It cost four times as much in money to use the kettle.
Since then prices have gone up again, gas more than electricity so I expect the difference has lessened.
I need to rerun the experiment.

That's fascinating. Do let us know. I only have an electric hob, so maybe someone with a smart meter and electric hob can carry out the same test. I think any comparison test is very helpful.

Farzanah Sat 12-Nov-22 17:32:27

Chestnut I was under the wrong impression too as I’d never heard of these water dispensers. Thought it was the very pricey under sink tank ones.

Esspee Sat 12-Nov-22 17:19:06

travelsafar

I was told if you have a gas hob buy a whistler kettle, it's cheaper than electric. Can anyone confirm this????

Some time ago I did a test by boiling a litre of water on the hob and in an electric kettle. It cost four times as much in money to use the kettle.
Since then prices have gone up again, gas more than electricity so I expect the difference has lessened.
I need to rerun the experiment.

GrannyBear1 Sat 12-Nov-22 16:47:44

FYI, my travel kettle has a maximun capacity of 500 ml or half litre. I usually boil 300 ml for a mug of tea. The kettle runs off the mains, 240 V and is very lightweight, made of plastic.

My larger kettle has a minimum required fill of 500 ml. So, although not suitable for Fleurpepper, or anyone wanting to boil larger quantities in one go, it does make sense for anyone living on their own. I wouldn't part with mine now, even if energy prices were to drop.

I wonder what the smallest capacity standard kettle holds? 1 litre maybe?

Fleurpepper Sat 12-Nov-22 16:02:06

That's fine. Thanks. Had never heard of this system- only the under the sink tanks for instant hot water on tap.

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 15:48:47

karmalady chestnut, these water dispensers have a small tank below the sink, 2-4 litres, water for instant heat. Wasteful of energy and that sort of system also uses a copper coil to generate the required heat.
You must be thinking of something else karmalady. These sit on the worktop and provide boiling water a cup at a time. There are several people talking about them on the other thread. Sorry, fleurpepper I know you don't want this, just clearing up the mistake.

Fleurpepper Sat 12-Nov-22 15:13:15

NotAGran55

Fleurpepper

Water dispenser is not an option for me. I am really looking for advice on the best brand/model of low energy kettle- but normal capacity, not one cup. Thanks.

www.which.co.uk/reviews/kettles/article/how-to-buy-the-best-electric-kettle-aljNZ2O8dcEz#can-you-buy-an-eco-kettle

You need to be a member to drill down into the details of this report to see the Best Buys etc but unfortunately I have recently cancelled my full subscription so can’t get it for you.

However I do have a Which? Magazine from February this year and the ECO Best Buy then was the Russell Hobbs Stylevia Black kettle - £50.

I hope this helps Fleurpepper.

Thank you, and yes, this is exactly what I wanted. Bravo.

I am not currently a member of WHICH, so if anyone can copy and past, that would be perfect.

NotAGran55 Sat 12-Nov-22 15:03:31

Fleurpepper

Water dispenser is not an option for me. I am really looking for advice on the best brand/model of low energy kettle- but normal capacity, not one cup. Thanks.

www.which.co.uk/reviews/kettles/article/how-to-buy-the-best-electric-kettle-aljNZ2O8dcEz#can-you-buy-an-eco-kettle

You need to be a member to drill down into the details of this report to see the Best Buys etc but unfortunately I have recently cancelled my full subscription so can’t get it for you.

However I do have a Which? Magazine from February this year and the ECO Best Buy then was the Russell Hobbs Stylevia Black kettle - £50.

I hope this helps Fleurpepper.

karmalady Sat 12-Nov-22 14:35:27

fleurpepper, something similar to grannybear`s travel kettle that will work on the 240v supply. Plastic and light and not over big. Probably a very cheap kettle from a supermarket, they will not be made from expensive metals. Feel the weight and then decide. The mass is important

karmalady Sat 12-Nov-22 14:31:47

chestnut, these water dispensers have a small tank below the sink, 2-4 litres, water for instant heat. Wasteful of energy and that sort of system also uses a copper coil to generate the required heat. The energy these boiling taps use is not magic energy. As any scientist knows, like must be compared with like for an accurate comparison. Convenience can not be compared to energy usage, they are different entities and convenience has no energy units

Fleurpepper Sat 12-Nov-22 14:01:59

Chestnut Sat 12-Nov-22 13:57:11

If you read the thread on water dispensers they instantly pour exactly the correct amount required into the cup. And not having to pour boiling water into flasks or cups is a blessing for anyone with a wobbly hand, who finds that rather dangerous.

Farzanah Sat 12-Nov-22 13:49:40

I won’t be using the microwave then 😀