Gransnet forums

Technology

Are you prepared if you have got home and left your mobile somewhere.?phone numbers etc

(15 Posts)
bikergran Thu 29-Dec-22 18:30:32

I have just got back from my dads after having tea with him and my other dd today, he doesn't live far away (about 5 miles).

I have realised I have left my mobile on his table, complete with bank cards( as I leave them inside my phone case)

I threw my landline out 12 months ago(sick of listening to the crackling) Bought a really cheap emergency phone to leave in house.

Just come to use it and my credit has run out(not sure why as I never used it after topping up)

Needed to let my dd know I was home safe and sound, plus other dd, also my dad so he wouldn't be wondering what the pinging was.

Gosh I had to think. so manage to email dd and explain, luckily her phone pings when she has an email.

But just goes to show with no landline phone (guess what I am buying tomorrow)???

I do have everyones phone numbers in a book though. I could have driven back to collect it but my dad would be settling down for the night and I didn't want to disturb him.

BlueBelle Thu 29-Dec-22 18:59:04

My service provider has a plan which I m on, whereby I keep my phone line without charge unless I make any calls then I have to pay for them So I keep my phone line for emergencies but as long as I don’t make any calls on it I don’t pay anything
Maybe your provider has that plan too I m with EE

Siope Thu 29-Dec-22 19:02:15

My phone syncs to my tablet, and to the cloud, and I have several apps I could use. Or I could reach lots of folk on social media.

bikergran Thu 29-Dec-22 19:06:25

I will certainly plan another back up, not sure if my tablet will link to my phone as tablet is Huwie and phone samsung but will certainly look into it.

Mollygo Thu 29-Dec-22 19:10:24

What a good reminder!! My numbers are also on my iPad, but I have no other backup except my memory!

Pittcity Thu 29-Dec-22 19:25:09

I would just use an internet messenger to call or message using my tablet or laptop. No need for numbers as they link using names.

Jaxjacky Thu 29-Dec-22 19:33:00

Same as Siope no landline, mobile lives in my back pocket or handbag.

Jackiest Thu 29-Dec-22 20:34:23

Phone is backed up but could get all the numbers from whatsapp that runs on my computer.

Kim19 Thu 29-Dec-22 21:58:39

I've kept my landline for this very reason. Free calls included in Wi-Fi package.

biglouis Thu 29-Dec-22 22:17:13

I have kept my landline as I am not a great lover of mobile phones. They have their uses when you are out and need a taxi but i feel they breach privacy.

I first got a mobile when I worked for the uni and I used to go out into different parts of the city interviewing people. They issued me with one and liked me to check in with my location before and after a visit. Well that was work and a safeguarding issue. I never told my family I had one. I dont want people (like clingy relatives) to get in touch with me easily. More recently I had to buy a cheap smart phone to run my security system (it would not run on the tablet) but its smart enough to stay out of my way unless I need it.

All my phone numbers are listed in my diary,

I have NEVER given my phone number to a neighbour!

AussieGran59 Thu 29-Dec-22 23:59:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chestnut Fri 30-Dec-22 00:07:47

The thought of being locked out with no mobile phone is so terrifying that I always triple check my keys, phone and glasses! Money or cards if required of course.

Lollin Wed 11-Jan-23 20:31:47

We have found our landline invaluable on two occasions for emergencies last winter. So I am not looking forward to the day they stop being available.

MerylStreep Wed 11-Jan-23 20:42:13

Pittcity

I would just use an internet messenger to call or message using my tablet or laptop. No need for numbers as they link using names.

I sometimes ask Alexa to call people.

LOUISA1523 Wed 11-Jan-23 21:31:04

Not had a landline for years and years....we both have mobiles and I have a works mobile with all my close family numbers in....I have email access on my ipad and laptop