Gransnet forums

Technology

Excel

(15 Posts)
junie1 Fri 20-Jan-23 16:21:03

Hi
I have not used my laptop for a few years, I do everything on my phone.
I was asked to fill in some information on excel, no clue whatsoever, my husband had to do it for me, I feel really annoyed with myself, I would love to learn how to use excel, but it would have to be complete beginners,

Can anyone help please
Junie

JulesJ Fri 20-Jan-23 16:23:49

If you go to the main Microsoft website they offer lots of online free training

junie1 Fri 20-Jan-23 16:25:11

Thanks JulesJ
Off to have a look

Chestnut Fri 20-Jan-23 16:35:21

Be prepared to spend some time on it. There is so much to learn, and most importantly don't press the print button before checking your 'print preview' as I seem to remember people at work printing 50 empty pages which is such a waste. You can tell the spreadsheet what you want to print by making adjustments in the 'page break preview'. I am using Excel 2007 however.

junie1 Fri 20-Jan-23 17:34:31

Thanks chestnut
A lot to get my head round, I need an idiots guide.

Junie

AmberSpyglass Fri 20-Jan-23 18:18:31

YouTube have loads of tutorials as well!

Redrobin51 Fri 20-Jan-23 18:27:09

I find the "Dummies" books are good. There are different versions of Excel so make sure you have the right one. My husband is a self taught whizz at spreadsheets and blined me with science when he was explaining things to me. I took a beginners CLAIT course which covered Excel, Word Processing a Databases and found it really useful. Many local colleges, night schools etc run beginners classes. Good luck.x

Chestnut Fri 20-Jan-23 18:32:39

Just to add, unless you have a reason to use Excel you won't get any practice. Like driving a car, you can't just do it once a year. Maybe set up a spreadsheet for your bank account, entering the transactions in columns and rows? That would be a great way to practice and you'd be using it every few days at least. I agree the Dummies books are good.

junie1 Fri 20-Jan-23 19:19:06

Thanks Amberspyglass

Marydoll Fri 20-Jan-23 19:22:37

I used to deliver Excel inset to teachers, because it was part of the Maths and ICT curriculum. Then I retired and totally forgot everything.

However, I just went into it and messed about. It didn't take long to remember things, but it had changed a bit!

junie1 Fri 20-Jan-23 19:45:09

Hi Redrobin51
That sounds great, thanks so much
Junie

junie1 Fri 20-Jan-23 19:45:59

I will try Marydoll

Thanks
Junie

Marydoll Fri 20-Jan-23 20:37:11

Junie, there are helpsheets and videos on Excel.

Open Excel
Go to Help
Training.

It's free.

Sorry the screenshots are minute. Just enlarge your view.

CanadianGran Fri 20-Jan-23 21:20:10

I love excel! What a great software it is. Yes you can learn with on line tutorials, but you may feel more comfortable with a book.

I've used it for years, and feel I have not touched its capabilities. Of course you will adjust your usage for your needs, and that's where a book might come in handier than an on-line course. That way you can flag certain chapters for items that you will need, and go back to items easily.

jeanie99 Fri 20-Jan-23 22:24:49

I learned how to use Excel from scratch with Excel for Dummies many years ago. I still use it for financial work to this day.