Gransnet forums

Technology

TV, Internet and phone packages

(4 Posts)
fourormore Sat 11-Mar-23 09:58:37

We are looking at changing our provider - all we want is ......

TV - Possibly a few TV channels extra to Freeview but no extra movie channels, sports channels, streaming etc. We don't need all singing/all dancing and I believe most 'record' nowadays anyway?

WIFI - Enough for e-mails, googling bits and pieces on laptops and general sites (like GN!) - we're not on facebook etc. and our mobile phones don't do internet!

PHONE - Landline ideally all day every day rather than weekend only etc. but only UK - we don't phone abroad etc.

MOBILE - We both have bog standard mobiles which we use for text or call if needed only - no wifi etc. on them - they are off more than on as we don't hear so well on them!

Any experiences - good or bad would be gratefully received!
Please bear in mind we are as thick as planks where tech is concerned so before we start ringing around I thought I would ask plain speaking Gransnetters!
Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Missedout Sat 11-Mar-23 21:38:12

TV
If you have Freeview, it is most likely that you have an external aerial with a lead into the back of your TV. In order to record Freeview, the feed from the aerial will need to be 'interpreted' and any required programmes stored on a hard drive, performed by a set-top box. The aerial feed is plugged into the set-top box which is, in turn, connected to the TV. The set top box controls the feeds to your TV. (You haven't mentioned Freesat. The feed to the TV comes via a cable from a wall mounted satellite dish, and you will need a different set-top box to control this to record and view on your TV.)
If you have a cable TV feed to your house you will still need a set-top box to terminate, intercept the feed and record your programs.

WiFi
WiFi signals can also carry TV programming information. The broadband signals will have been transmitted over your copper landline into your property but are terminated on a router which then transmits over-the-air information that a 'smart' TV can read. I'm disappointed by my smaller, smart TVs - they don't seem very smart. My main TV (now ancient) has been 'smartened up' by the addition of a Roku 'stick' and this works perfectly well although Roku now produce an updated one with small additional memory which will make loading faster.

If you are using WiFi, don't forget that your programmes are 'streamed' over the internet as and when you request them. They don't need to be stored. However, you will have to pay for most of these services and there are so many available. It's a bit of a minefield.

Also, speed of your internet delivery will affect streaming, if you don't have a particularly good broadband speed, you will get a frustrating viewing experience.

HOWEVER (sorry for shouting), please note that copper landlines are being phased out. BT have hit problems with their rollout replacement of copper cabling with fibre broadband but have more or less stopped supporting copper based networks.

Phone
If you want to keep your landline then my last point is very important. I recently switched from my copper landline to Full Fibre to my house (FFTP). I'm not going to tell you my story but it was far more difficult than it should have been. The service provider should have listened when I suggested someone survey my house first.

I now have 2 Digital voice phone handsets - they are a bit basic but calls are amazingly clear.

There is also now no emergency provision in the event of a power cut but we have modern mobile phones and a good mobile signal.

Mobile
More bad news here too. If you have 'old' mobiles, be aware that 2G and 3G are soon to be switched off by mobile phone network providers. Don't hang on to old mobiles (kept for emergencies only) because, when you suddenly need them, they may just not work.

fourormore Sun 12-Mar-23 10:39:35

Thank you so much Missedout - what a brilliant comprehensive reply!
We are currently with Virgin but they are about to increase the cost of their packages and last year they informed us that they were changing the landline but failed to tell us that we would have to buy new updated handsets.
They have also changed their mobile to O2 which is ok but again without explanation and of course, the price went up!
I appreciate that costs for all providers are rising but as we are a bit fed up with Virgin sneakily adding costs we thought we would explore other providers.
Thank you again for your time and very comprehensive information!

Missedout Sun 12-Mar-23 20:06:35

I'm pleased that my reply is useful.

Virgin and O2 have merged for the same reason that BT have taken over EE. BT and Virgin both want a bigger share of the 5G mobile phone market. There are many suppliers of 'broadband' in the UK, they tend to work in specific areas so you could shop around to see who else could supply your internet connection locally. You may get a better deal that way.