Gransnet forums

Technology

Security online

(8 Posts)
Jaan12 Sat 12-Jun-21 13:42:17

In spite of having downloaded a security app on my devices am sure someone is able to read all my emails. I change the password from time to time. Any advice welcome.

dragonfly46 Sat 12-Jun-21 13:43:35

What makes you think someone is reading your emails?

Jaan12 Sat 12-Jun-21 13:44:46

Looking for advice regarding security on my devices. My information seems to be open to many in spite of my attempts to keep my connection private.

Jaan12 Sat 12-Jun-21 13:52:35

There are those who seem to get to know all my connections and activities on a daily basis without having to be in conversation with me. Such as my planning a holiday or arranging an appointment for something such as a doctor appointment or hairdresser appointment.

dragonfly46 Sat 12-Jun-21 14:21:09

If that is so I would change my email address and used another provider. I find Googlemail very secure. I sometimes get adverts linked to things I have mentioned but not too often. That tends to happen on FB and Gransnet.

Elegran Sat 12-Jun-21 16:24:47

How people get hacked

Blossoming Sat 12-Jun-21 16:29:48

Make sure your broadband / WiFi is secure.

Missedout Sun 13-Jun-21 11:36:36

Which passwords are you changing? Is it the access password to your device, to your email provider and/or your router?

Does anyone else have physical access to your device?

Do you only make doctors appointments and hairdressers by email? These sound like the sort of thing I would make by phone or text. In which case do you think someone listening in to your phone calls too?

As dragonfly46 suggests, you may have many 'tracking' cookies on your device which make it appear that web sites you have queried are 'following you around'. You can delete your web history but will have to be prepared to add back in your ID and passwords to access sites you want to continue using.

Do you use an online calender/diary for your appointments? If so, I would check the calendar settings and ensure that you aren't sharing it with someone else.

Are you using a computer that has a number of ports available? Have you checked that there are no 'extra' USB type sticks in them.

Why would you be targeted? What could be gained?