Gransnet forums

Technology

Switching off stand by mode

(12 Posts)
AustenFan Wed 29-Sep-21 12:30:31

I have a modern Smart TV and use TalkTalk connection. When I’m going away - or even overnight - if I switch off the set completely (at the wall) to save electricity - as now recommended - what happens to my scheduled recording requirements?

Early Wed 29-Sep-21 13:07:26

If you switch off the power to your recording device it won't record scheduled programmes. Depending on whether the broadcast channel supports digital On Demand services you may be able to watch them later.

MayBeMaw Wed 29-Sep-21 13:34:24

There are times when I am not at all sorry that not only is my TV not Smart, but is definitely intellectually challenged.
Or maybe it’s the user?

Katie59 Wed 29-Sep-21 16:23:14

If you switch off at the wall it won’t record anything but it should retain any future settings previously made. I only turn mine off at the wall if there are thunderstorms around

Lovetopaint037 Thu 27-Jan-22 09:37:13

I turn off from the wall regularly unless I am needing to record something late at night. All the previous recordings are fine.

Elizabeth27 Thu 27-Jan-22 10:40:59

It costs about 3p per day to leave a TV on standby, worth it to me to have programmes recorded.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 27-Jan-22 11:48:17

I unplug the television but leave the box connected, the box continues to record.

Lincslass Thu 27-Jan-22 13:54:25

Have a smart TV and turn it off at the wall at night,. I don’t have any tv packages, but my dvd recorder is defunct, as I manage to watch all I’ve missed on catch up.

crazyH Thu 27-Jan-22 13:58:21

Elizabeth27, I feel so much better now ….

Franbern Thu 27-Jan-22 14:52:34

Oh dear, I leave my tv and my humax PCR on all of the time, whether I am there or not. Think in the long past we would told to disconnect electrical items when there were storms or else the property was going to be empty for a few days. However, these are made to be kept on standby to do their job. As has been said, standby costs a few pennies a day to leave on. A lot of updates are put through at night, and if your machines are turned off, then they will not receive these.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 27-Jan-22 14:53:29

Elizabeth your box will record programmes for you even if your TV is unplugged.
The box will also cost you money if left on, but not a great amount.

Chestnut Thu 27-Jan-22 17:25:29

Obviously nothing will work if you switch off at the mains. I switch my TV 'off' but it is still connected to the mains. I switch my BT Vision box 'off' but it is still connected otherwise nothing would be recorded and it would have to start up and re-load when the electricity came back. That would be tedious and there would be no recordings.