Gransnet forums

Travel

What to see in Venice?

(18 Posts)
Magsie Fri 03-Jun-11 10:07:40

My husband and I are having a short break in Venice next week. What are the "must-sees" and what is overrated?
If you hated Venice, please don't tell me as I'm already feeling anxious.

crimson Fri 03-Jun-11 16:33:05

My favourite place in the world [if only for the ice cream].Watch the programme that dishy Italian guy made about it.

crimson Fri 03-Jun-11 17:01:52

Oh, just make sure you take insect repellent; because i'ts on a lagoon the mossies are pretty bad at some times of the year.

monica Sun 05-Jun-11 14:14:52

Buy a 48hrs or 3 day pass for the vaporetti you can get them at the bus station or at the airport, or on line at the official venice tourist website, you can then hop on and off the boats all day long , I think it is the best way to see Venice.
If you have time and want something less hectic then go to Torcello you can go stopping at Murano and Burano on the way. It is a most beautiful place with an amazing Byzantine church with wonderful mosaics. Take the ordinary boat from the Fondamente Nuove it is much the cheapest way.
We started our married life in Venice nearly 50 years ago we had 3 months there, my husband had a scholarship to study there, before going on to Greece for 18 months. Since then I have always loved Venice.

Have a lovely time.

Allegra Sun 05-Jun-11 14:54:18

I can really recommend an excellent book to take with you and which will make all the difference to your holiday. It is called Venice for Pleasure, by J.G. Links.
It takes you on walks all over the place, to the main attractions but also down fascinating little side streets and back alleys, all the while giving you details and facts about what is around you.
You will love Venice and you will come away with the most amazing memories, I bet.
crimson is right to warn you about the mossies. I got eaten alive, so be careful about opening hotel windows or being at large unprotected.
Have a great trip - and buon viaggio!

Magsie Sun 05-Jun-11 16:07:44

Thank you everyone! I'll have an ice cream on your behalf!

em Sun 05-Jun-11 17:11:36

Another book - fiction this time but gives a lovely feel of Venice and encourages you to find the back alleys . 'Miss Garnet's Angel' (sorry can't remember author). Try to spend a quiet hour in the Ghetto area. The vaporetti are fantastic and if you can work out their timing, try to make your way early in the evening from the railway station area (in the north) down the Grand Canal towards St Mark's Square. If you can catch that sunset it is a very memorable but inexpensive experience! Wandering around in Venice on a quiet evening is so different from the busy daytime of the tourist.
Also ....Drink Prosecco!!

crimson Sun 05-Jun-11 22:33:23

....can you put me in your suitcase, please? I love Italy so much. I used to love the way that the sunflowers in the fields would face one way as we went past by road or rail, and then faced the other way on the return journey. And the light is like nowhere else. We used to stay at Punta Sabbioni [sp?] and take the boat over every day. The shoes and handbags in the markets were fantastic as well.

HildaW Tue 07-Jun-11 16:47:04

Vaporetti pass is a jolly good idea. Get a map...and walk to the less frequented bits, its a lot of fun and away from St Marks square food is much much cheaper!......watch Francesco da Mosto on DVD to put you in the mood. I enjoyed Venice enormously, we did a full week there. I had always wanted to go but not a quick in and out so was happy to wait and do it properly. My only reservation...go easy on shellfish...I got a touch of the Venice tummy and spent one day feeling pretty queasy!

HildaW Tue 07-Jun-11 16:48:53

Oh...and as a treat we blew the budget on a water taxi from the airport.....jolly expensive but it was Oh so James Bondish!

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 07-Jun-11 17:22:41

Water taxi from the airport is definitely to be recommended!

Other than that, we just walked and walked and walked - round every corner there is something different and lovely to see.

Enjoy!

Angelwispa Thu 09-Jun-11 17:37:32

I love Venice, I'm soooooo jealous smile Tell us all about it when you get back. I went in 2005 and I'd love to go back again, it was just before Christmas time and VERY cold, but beautiful. I've got some great pictures of some Father Christmas's on a gondola (is that how it's spelt?) I loved the glass, the water taxi's, the bridge of sighs, St. Mark's Square I could go on and on and on........ and on........

Magsie Sun 12-Jun-11 15:34:53

Thank you everyone for your help! We had a lovely five days in Venice. I think early June is quite a good time to go, sunny but not too hot. We found the Venetians very friendly and helpful despite the huge number of tourists passing through. We had a book of walks and explored each area until we were worn out and then got the vaporetto back to the hotel. Personally, I preferred to get away from the St Mark's area and see the quiet districts where the locals live. Lots of ice-cream and prosecco too!

HildaW Mon 13-Jun-11 19:48:24

So glad you enjoyed it Magsie...yes getting away from St Marks is the idea. We went in May which was a lovely time....no floods....no fog and not too hot!

jonssmith3 Fri 24-Feb-12 08:21:50

Message deleted by Gransnet.

Butternut Fri 24-Feb-12 08:38:21

Reported

Greatnan Fri 24-Feb-12 09:03:43

Me too! Even if it were genuine, it is a bit late!
Do these people think older women (and men) are stupid?

susiecb Fri 24-Feb-12 09:07:56

Miss Garnets Angel was Sally Vickers I think. Enjoy Venice - only been once but it was magical.