Gransnet forums

Travel

Where would you go for a city break?

(70 Posts)
Magsie Tue 14-Jun-11 09:59:00

Can anyone recommend somewhere for a short city break? It could be in the UK or abroad but ideally somewhere you can see things just by wandering around.

Butternut Sat 03-Mar-12 07:44:23

Reported

HappyHiker Sat 03-Mar-12 06:55:37

Message deleted by Gransnet.

GrannyTunnocks Thu 27-Oct-11 21:06:21

I have just booked a 4 night stay in Liverpool. Great city, lots to do, especially if you like the Beatles.

Madge Thu 27-Oct-11 17:51:36

Crimson,

Prague, is one of my favourite places in Europe, I too would love to go back, but this time maybe in the summer.

Anikka,

Couldn't agree more on Newcastle, lots of places to visit, and like you say, people are very friendly (just like me smile wink )

check it out http://www.newcastlegateshead.com/

harrigran Thu 27-Oct-11 16:55:46

I was at a wedding at the House for an art lover in Bellahouston park,Glasgow, nice place.

crimson Wed 26-Oct-11 16:35:44

...and Mackintosh...

MDougall Wed 26-Oct-11 16:11:46

Try Glasgow during the period 19th January until 5th February. "Celtic Connections" Weeks. There are the most amazing concerts ("google" the programe), live gigs in all the pubs, great shopping and great food. Glaswegian people are the most friendly. I am English by the way - don't take my name for granted!!!!! There are always cheap flights to Glasgow and rail travel if you book in advance. Plenty of hotels, and lots of sightseeing in this amazing Victorian city.

Annika Tue 25-Oct-11 23:03:49

Newcastle, the city is lively and the people are so friendly

grannyactivist Tue 25-Oct-11 22:52:29

Just had a wonderful few days in York and next month will have a short break in Edinburgh - two of my favourite cities. If you want something a little different try Bratislava; It's often overlooked in favour of its well known neighbour, but Slovakia is an interesting country. For a longer break the High Tatras there are worth a visit;though not for the fainthearted as they are fierce mountains. (watch out for the bears!)

Annobel Tue 25-Oct-11 22:17:54

Granny23 I think I'll go along to the airport with my passport tomorrow morning and get myself on a flight to Palma. Anyone care to join me?

Granny23 Tue 25-Oct-11 22:07:45

Thinking of Majorca has reminded me that Palma de Majorca is a lovely small mainly flat city. Tapas bars, magnificant Cathedral, luxury yachts in the harbour, bus or boat to nearby beaches, quirky street Market at the weekend and best of all really cheap, short flights from every British Airport.

Granny23 Tue 25-Oct-11 21:58:32

Never been to Ireland but have heard a toe tapping ceilidh band in an Irish pub in Santa Ponsa, Majorca.

crimson Tue 25-Oct-11 21:52:30

Darn it. Never thought to go to Benidorm hmm....

Annobel Tue 25-Oct-11 21:17:20

Um...there was one in Benidorm, crimson....where else! grin

crimson Tue 25-Oct-11 20:16:19

For some reason I have never been in an Irish bar where they were playing traditional Irish music [which I love]. The one time someone did start playing music it was disco stuff. We used to go to Punchestown for the racing then travel west to Ennis. Have never been to Cork.

em Tue 25-Oct-11 12:24:37

Not a donkey in sight and a city layout much like Paris or London with the river flowing through the centre. The Dart train south is worth exploring but wandering around (good shopping) and having a look at the street art is fun in itself. Check out the Millennium Spire (known locally as the stilletto in the ghetto) the water feature showing the spirit of the Liffey (the floozie in the jacuzzi) the Molly Malone statue (the tart with the cart)! As I said before - friendly and with a great sense of humour.

crimson Mon 24-Oct-11 19:02:11

For some reason I expected Dublin to be very quaint with donkeys everywhere. Would love to go on that train ride going south from Dublin.

em Mon 24-Oct-11 18:57:53

Have just returned from a short break in Dublin. Lovely city, interesting things to see and do and friendly people.

numberplease Mon 24-Oct-11 15:39:26

In the UK, I would recommend York, Chester, or indeed, as someone suggested Skipton, beautiful scenery around, and a great market. Never done a city break abroad, but would love a short break to Istanbul.

dontcallmegramps Mon 24-Oct-11 12:16:42

Marrakesh is great for 2 or 3 days.

Oh if perchance you take a small child there are great things for them.
The souk would excite any child who has read Harry Potter because it seems like a real Diagon Alley - there is even a section of the market which deals in "magical supplies" - really! Some of it a bit gruesome but a certain sort of child would be amazed

Stansgran Tue 19-Jul-11 18:09:13

yes the musee de cluny the Sainte chapelle as soon as it opens ditto the musee d'art moderne otherwise you can't move for Japanese tour groups and there used to be a wonderful house where the basement was wall to wall Monet's Nympheas in the 16e district-tho' they may have been moved.crimson you are lucky

Annobel Tue 19-Jul-11 16:48:23

Crimson - Musée du Cluny - museum of mediaeval life. There are the most wonderful tapestries. It's on the Left Bank, near the Sorbonne.

crimson Tue 19-Jul-11 14:54:42

Have you got any tips about Paris; I'm going there for a few days in October and haven't been there for forty years.

ChickenKnickers Tue 19-Jul-11 14:38:43

Paris is wonderful. In the UK, I'd recommend York, Edinburgh, Bath. Went to Birmingham recently but wasn't really that keen. Not exactly cities, but Haworth and Hebden Bridge are lovely little places in Yorkshire; fairly near to each other and both worth a day out. In summer, Haworth has the old steam trains, and all the stations along the line were used in The Railway Children. I've also had some good weekends in Nottingham.

goldengirl Mon 18-Jul-11 22:22:02

The Isle of Wight - small and beautifully formed. Lovely scenery, good pubs, sandy beaches, loads of history and crossing the ferry makes you feel you're entering another world. Alternatively there's Oslo. My favourite city.