Gransnet forums

Travel

Suitcase locks when flying to USA

(9 Posts)
Rosiebee Wed 23-Nov-11 10:05:15

We're going to America for the first time in January, visiting San Francisco, Hawaii and Las Vegas. This obviously involves a couple of internal flights. I have heard that we need to buy special locks that will enable US security to open our cases. Has anyone any experience of this? Is it just on entry to America or on internal flights as well. Do they open all suitcases or random ones or just ones they suspect of carrying something dubious? I feel really uneasy about this although any valuables will be in our hand luggage.
Thanks for any replies. We're so excited about this trip but a tad nervous too. If we need to get the locks, we need to get them.

Butternut Wed 23-Nov-11 10:52:52

I've never locked my cases as I don't carry any valuables when travelling. (I go to America regularly). A suitcase lock won't prevent someone with intent to steal. They'll just cut the case open. If it's left unlocked the security can look any time - and usually don't - it's totally random.

For a relaxed and easy time, travel light and simply.

Have a lovely time!

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 23-Nov-11 11:04:37

Rosiebee - yes, you are quite right that you can't use standard locks on cases there. Pretty sure their searches are random (we recently returned from the States (to the UK) with 3 cases and opened one to find a "your bag has been searched" leaflet (but nothing in the others). We were told that bags MUST be left unlocked. Not heard about special locks but they sound great so do share info if you find them!

lucid Wed 23-Nov-11 11:38:11

www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/locks.shtm This site tells you about the TSA locks you need ....not sure about internal flights.

Quiltinggran Wed 23-Nov-11 11:41:21

I've got a combination lock that says it's ok to use in the US as US Customs have a 'universal key' to open it without damaging my lock. I used it on a trip in September but don't think my case was opened - there were no leaflets in the suitcase. I'm virtually certain I bought it in Boots and it wasn't much, if any, more expensive than a standard combination lock. Hope that's helpful. Enjoy your trip Rosiebee. We went to San Fransisco at the end of our trip and loved it.

tanith Wed 23-Nov-11 13:51:12

We didn't lock our cases when we went to the USA and I don't think they were opened. If you pack valuables in your hand luggage I really wouldn't bother with special locks as I'm sure if customs have special keys that open these locks then anyone with evil intent wouldn't find it hard to get a universal key either..

yogagran Wed 23-Nov-11 20:47:45

Do these restrictions on locks apply to flights to Canada as well or is it just USA??

Quiltinggran Wed 23-Nov-11 21:16:32

No, I'm sure Canada's fine, yogagran. We were there too this September- in Vancouver, which is one of my favourite cities in the world.

yogagran Wed 23-Nov-11 21:56:25

Thanks quilting - that's helpful.
cari - lots of locks available on eBay if you search for TSA. I had a look but quilting now says that I probably don't need one for Canada so I shan't bother