Gransnet forums

Travel

Flying to New Zealand in February

(39 Posts)
namo Mon 09-Jan-12 18:17:13

I'm having anxiety attacks - not about flying - but about what I don't know! (That does make sense..) Does anybody out there know what I should know please? Travelling on my own. First flight 10 hours. Stop at Singapore to change planes for 2 hours. Second flight 12 hours - to Auckland. Going for 2 weeks - staying with my daughter. In February. Panic now - right now. Documents, passport, packing, hand luggage, etc.. Example: can't do online check-in because I don't have a printer attached to my computer so won't get decent seat away from toilets because all decent seats will have been taken by time I reach Heathrow. Plus : don't sleep very well normally - how can I sleep on flights and arrive 10am after 22 hours flying with a smile and loads of energy for my granddaughter?

Greatnan Sun 19-Feb-12 19:28:11

Grannylin, if you send me a pm I will give you my Facebook name and you can look at all my photos of NZ.

Grannylin Sun 19-Feb-12 19:19:58

Thanks Greatnan, just caught up, knew I could depend on you, in fact I'm now trying to find all the info you sent us when you were there!

Greatnan Sat 18-Feb-12 20:19:16

I used my gold Mastercard which is issued by my French bank.
Nelson is a lovely, bustling town with lots of shops and cafes. There is a stunning road from there to the picturesque port of Picton (my SIL is a captain on the Interislander ferry which sails from Picton to Wellington). On the way, you can have a very reasonably priced meal at either Poloris River cafe or you can eat the biggest mussels you have ever seen at Havelock, green lipped mussel centre of the world.
In my daughter's village of Wakefield, you will see a sign saying last petrol for 100 kms. - and it is true. The road South takes you to St. Arnaud and the Nelson Lakes. These are stunningly beautiful and you can walk up to the Whispering Falls. (11 kms round trip).
You can have great fish and chips on the quay at Mapua, (look in the brilliant gallery) and hire kayaks in Maketua to paddle round to Appletree Bay in the Abel Tasman National Park.
I took my grandson whale watching fro Kaikoura, and he also did his first parachute jump and bungee jump.
My family had a few days in Wellington recently, which they enjoyed very much.
If you have time you could fly down to Queenstown and then take a cruise up the fjords.
New Zealand is so beautiful and there is so much to do. You can pick up leaflets at the airport when you arrive, or just google New Zealand tourism.
The least interesting town we found was Westport, but we only went there to pick up a puppy.
You will have a wonderful time -I can't wait for my next visit in December.

Grannylin Sat 18-Feb-12 17:58:06

Thanks much appreciated.

Stansgran Sat 18-Feb-12 16:31:47

I use a Santander card called Zero- doesn't charge for purchases in foreign money.They give my husband one as well. Always tell them you're going and I use the card in the airport so the computer "knows". Abel Tasman is gorgeous and lovely lodge there. Winery tours are a tad headache ridden. Always feel we get better NZ wines here at a better price. I didn't do the railway down the coast but would love to have done. Doubtful Sound fantastic. Milford Sound was grim during Chinese new year-the interpreters screeching in chinese. We found a small silent boat-no commentary and it was great. Te anau was hard to get accommodation.

JessM Sat 18-Feb-12 15:00:56

It is supposed to be good airline - new?
walking shoes that you have broken in already. Either immaculately clean or own up when you are landing. They will clean them for you if necessary.
Nelson is a good area to act as a base. Abel Tasman is fantastic - way up on the should do list. You can get there from Nelson. Water taxis pick up and drop off unless you are v intrepid and keen to do the lot...
Nelson Lakes, Malborough sounds also reachable by hire car and good for walking. And lots of walks in Nelson area.

Napier stunning little art deco town.
If you can run to it, go to Fiords and do Doubtful Sound overnight trip.
Do have a day or two in Wellington and go to the national museum and the Botanical Gardens.

Grannylin Sat 18-Feb-12 14:18:26

Also...anyone flown with Etihad? thought I had booked with Emirates, but no!

Grannylin Sat 18-Feb-12 14:17:05

Last minute info needed about trip to NZ.
Any recommendations about 'must see' but also 'don't bother' places.
Want to do active things,mainly walking and kayaking, so we will mainly concentrate on the north of South Island.
Bit late, I know, but best walking/hiking shoes to take?
Money? Anybody used the travel currency cards? Martin@Moneysupermarket says Lloyds rates abroad are evil and I'm with them..what to do?
Car hire? any tips? Thanks smile

Greatnan Thu 19-Jan-12 10:25:47

I have just spent my last full day in Phuket - I leave for the airport tomorrow afternoon. I will post today's activities on my travel thread.

grannyactivist Thu 19-Jan-12 02:03:14

Hello Greatnan, where are you now?

Greatnan Thu 19-Jan-12 01:54:06

My daughter had to leave her wicker laundry basket in the UK - NZ won't accept anything that might introduce foreign species of plant or animals. Their car was washed at the port before they were allowed to collect it.

I flew from Auckland to Singapore and on to Phuket last Friday and unfortunately my suitcase was ruined. I have bought a new one, but I fear I may have a problem claiming compensation because I don't have the original receipt (who does?) from a year ago. Oh, well, first time in several hundred flights that I have had anything damaged, and my new case is very smart and cost about £42.

NZ was lovely when I left - new flowers opening every day, not too hot - I can't wait to get back in December!

I know you will have a lovely time - don't forget to tell us all about it, and next time you will be the one giving the tips!

Annobel Wed 18-Jan-12 20:59:38

In fact, you have to fill in a bio-security form before you land to say if you have been on a farm or in a forest or, I think, a beach. Your footwear is examined quite thoroughly.

JessM Wed 18-Jan-12 20:24:31

Something i forgot - if you are taking something like walking boots that might be muddy you need to either clean off all the mud. Or fess up when you get to biosecurity. In fact fess up when you fill in the little immigration form. If you own up to things they don't mind. If you don't they could tell you off or even fine you.
I have had my boots cleaned - as good as new - in Auckland airport a couple of times. They have an amazing machine it seems.
Have a lovely time. Hope there are nice films on the plane smile

namo Wed 18-Jan-12 19:42:27

Hi everyone. I thought I'd let you know how things are going. Your replies reminded me that once I'd dealt with the practical stuff, like weight of luggage, and passport expiry date, I could actually relax into it, and you were so reassuring, I found myself thinking "well, as long as I've checked the main things, I'm really okay." So my gratitude and thanks for that. It did help. The panic has subsided and I've actually started to look forward to my trip! Yeh!

But if anyone wants to get to grips with the practicalities of flying to New Zealand, there are quite a few things that it's definitely helpful to know beforehand and I now have quite a list - thanks to you, (and to various websites). For instance, I checked more thoroughly about the online check-in process and discovered you actually don't need a printer at home - you can save the details to print out at the airport. It was ironic because I discovered this after I'd "relaxed" into it, and was thinking "it's fine - it doesn't matter, I'll check-in when I get to the airport"..

marti Sat 14-Jan-12 03:22:33

Go to local library to print before hand if you don't have a friend, or get to the airport early, it is worth it, look up seat allocation on seatguru.com

After boarding looka round to see if there are any spaces where you could sit where no one is next to you and ask to move, or just move, - it does happen, and it makes a lot of difference not to be rubbing shoulders with a stranger

Don't expect a great sleep, it is unrealistic, instead catch up on movies and read, and who knows, you may just drift off.

in the Singapore stop over walk around a lot, go over to another terminal. Termainal 2 has a great foot spa where small fish eat dry skin off, and it feels great, but maybe you won't have enough time. But do walk around when you can.
A few drinks relax me and also drink a lot of water

It is worth it!

Butternut Fri 13-Jan-12 12:57:10

The best tip is to stay cool, namo, the only way to travel. smile

Jacey Fri 13-Jan-12 12:48:49

25 New Zealand dollars NanaAnna

NanaAnna Fri 13-Jan-12 12:15:14

Hi - don't panic I did the same trip in 2006 and all was fine, though having curry for breakfast was a little odd! Just beware though they charge you to LEAVE the country so make sure you have CASH for that. Can't remember how much it was.

GrandmaAnge Fri 13-Jan-12 08:53:12

Hi namo, We make the trip to NZ via Singapore every year and have done for the past 10 years - we're very lucky. Please, just relax and enjoy the pampering. Singapore Airlines is one of the best in the world at customer service. There are drinks available whenever you want one, just ask. The airline food is typical but plenty of it and imaginative, and if you fancy a glass of wine at 11am that's fine.
The SA staff are lovely, very helpful. You've your own entertainment screen in your reclining seat with lots of the latest films, TV programmes and music at the push of a button. Slip off your shoes, put on the woolly socks they give you, get under your blanket and relax - the time will go by.
Do get an aisle seat and walk a little regularly to exercise. Stand by the loos if you can and you'll soon get chatting to other travellers and take advantage of a rare time when you're waited on. In fact, just make the flights part of this glorious and rare adventure. All the best on your travels!

MaggieP Thu 12-Jan-12 15:58:33

Has anyone mentioned Emirates? After three years flying often to Dubai and also onto Sydney and New Zealand, we are total converts and now our friends fly regularly to see their sons in Both countries with Emirates.
Good service and mostly charming cosmopolitan crew.

Butternut Thu 12-Jan-12 15:40:50

I'm with you Carol - best flight/food Air France, worst American Airlines (with similar experiences, unfortunately!). BA not bad, but expensive.
Singapore Airlines have more leg room than Air France, and the service is wonderful.

Carol Thu 12-Jan-12 14:58:39

Greatnan the best meal I have ever had on an airline was Air France, flying from Manchester to Paris. It was a simple meal of shrimps in beurre blanc, and I remember having delicious soft brie, a few pieces of baguette and a delicate red wine. All beautifully served with linen napkins and nothing was too much trouble for the cabin crew.

The worst meal I have ever had was on American Airlines going from Heathrow to Los Angeles - rude cabin crew who bitched about the passengers for 10 hours, then dashed around one hour before landing, dropping sandwiches in our laps and walking up and down the aisles saying 'water or coffee?'

namo let us know what you decide, won't you?

namo Thu 12-Jan-12 14:37:18

I'm just amazed by all your replies - I never expected such a response. Thankyou so much. I'm working my way through all your tips, and writing a list. It's made me feel very supported. I love living on my own, but sometimes it's so good to have some help.

Greatnan Wed 11-Jan-12 03:22:52

The service and punctuality were fine - my only quarrel was with the food.
In hundreds of flights over 31 years, I can remember only about five decent meals. The best was on Lufthansa and the worst, oddly enough, on Air France.

Annobel Tue 10-Jan-12 23:50:53

They must have improved their service since I flew with them - mind you, that was eleven years ago.