Gransnet forums

Travel

So is any one else into cruising?

(67 Posts)
MaureenM Wed 29-Feb-12 22:26:32

I am taking early retirement from teaching this Summer and so have booked my first holiday outside the expensive School holiday time. It will be in September and will be my third cruise. My OH never fancied cruising but is now a big convert, so we are really looking forward to exploring new areas in future years.
I wondered how many others on here are enthusiasts for this type of holiday.

jeni Fri 09-Nov-12 21:23:51

You can lie in bed all day on a cruise if you want. The modern ships have very good stabilisers and are so big it is rare (I find) to experience any motion.
Of course if you do things like try to cross the Atlantic in winter in an old small boat! QM is very stable I would add. The reason I don't like her so much is that she is too big for me. I find her not as friendly as her sisters. But that's just me!

angiebaby Fri 09-Nov-12 21:04:41

i would be sick i know i would, is there a lying in bed holiday i would love that as i love my bed.

janeainsworth Fri 09-Nov-12 08:19:50

Thanks jeni that's worth knowing!

jeni Thu 08-Nov-12 22:13:14

It's just some thing they add to your bill. Supposed to to be a tip for all the staff.
In fact all the staff still expect a tip. Ie waiters maitre de cabin steward etc. you will also find that there is about a 15% charge added to any drinks etc on board. This is not optional.
I personally object to to the service charge and when I have settled in my cabin, go to to the pursers desk and say
I have mobility problems
I don't wish to pay the hotel charges.
There is never any problem. On a 7 day cruise it can be at least 11$ per person per day!

janeainsworth Thu 08-Nov-12 21:50:29

What's the hotel charge for jeni? confused

jeni Thu 08-Nov-12 20:58:25

Look at the itinerary. It tells you how many formal ( long dresses) and how many semiformal (cocktail type)
Gents normally have to wear ties unless smart casual and jackets on semi and formal nights.
Not my favourite cunard ship but still great! Have lovely time,
(Don't forget you can opt out of the 'hotel charge' that is otherwise automatically applied. Just go to the pursers desk and say!

janeainsworth Thu 08-Nov-12 20:30:36

We are going to New York on the QM2 in December and then going to Washington by train to stay with DS and DDiL and DGCs for Christmas!
V excited but it's our first cruise - any advice jeni or anyone?
I don't mind dressing up grin

jeni Thu 08-Nov-12 20:16:51

Can't wait for my next one in December!
Really fed up and need it to keep my sanity, soh and temper!

london Thu 08-Nov-12 19:47:07

i did two nights to amsterdam does that count smile and loved it x

storynanny Thu 08-Nov-12 18:51:28

Really enjoyed my first out of school holiday cruise, loved waking up every day somewhere new and having food provided for me after years and years of family self catering! Went with p and o from Southampton and didn't ever feel the need to go over the top with dressing up. Definitely will be choosing another cruise again sometime in the next couple of years

jeni Sat 29-Sep-12 21:02:44

smile[mysterious]

Maniac Sat 29-Sep-12 20:59:48

You know that from experience do you jeni?
grin shock

jeni Sat 29-Sep-12 20:10:32

No! Petrol or diesel is too expensive.
An ad in the local telephone box works better.

Nelliemoser Sat 29-Sep-12 19:31:07

I am assuming none of you mean driving around looking for a pick up? grin

HildaW Sat 29-Sep-12 13:21:06

Have just returned from a Saga cruise - The Baltic. Although I am at the younger end of the spectrum I really enjoyed it. It was a smallish boat - Saga Sapphire - and we had so many lovely chatty meals with people who have so much to tell. On a 14 day cruise there were 3 'formal' nights and the official dress code allowed for that allowed everything from full dinner jacket and very posh frock to a lounge suit and a half decent dress - very easy for us ladies to just put on a few sparkly beads to galm up an M&S frock. Dining is entirly open though afew die hards did reserve a table for the whole cruise. There were plenty of places to hide away and just read a book if you felt a bit anti-social as well ( and I dont mean your cabin). I could go on waxing lyrical but suffice to say we are booked on another in March!

LesleyLL Thu 27-Sep-12 11:57:56

Me and my OH have just been on our first cruise from Tilbury to the Norwegian Fjords. Smaller ship (boat?) so only the big restaurant and a self-service option which was very good. There were two formal evenings in the restaurant which we enjoyed and we were with six people who were good company - you could come unstuck here as there was no chance of changing table seating plan as the boat was full. However if you don't like to be with other people you could eat each day in the self-service restaurant. The trips on shore were very good with three or four choices each day. Small but adequate cabin. No flying was a great bonus as far as I 'm concerned. Would we go again? I'd like to try one of the big ships and go south to the sun - Mediterranean perhaps.

MaureenM Sun 11-Mar-12 08:27:49

It sounds great Carol - I can't wait. I think the camera will be busy.
Jeni - we are on the Celebrity Eclipse in September.
Glammanana - I had a lovely trip on the Mersey ferry in October. I thought Liverpool was a super city to visit.

glammanana Sun 11-Mar-12 00:00:20

We did a trip on the fjords carol and the scenery was second to none we had an amazing time,and to lighten the tone I go on the Mersey ferry every week going over to town to do my shopping grin

jeni Sat 10-Mar-12 21:36:05

Which ship are upon in in sept?

Carol Sat 10-Mar-12 21:35:36

My sister has cruised in the fjords and says it was amazing. Glaciers, ice-rink like waters, stunning views and such interesting stopping places.

MaureenM Sat 10-Mar-12 21:02:04

Well I started this thread when I was looking forward to a cruise in September. I'm really excited now as we have booked another cruise for a week in June. We got a really good deal for a week in the Norwegian Fjords and booked it yesterday. We have four friends who have never cruised before coming with us this time.

Rosiebee Tue 06-Mar-12 18:52:22

Hi Susiethe Great, a 7 day Med cruise would be a brilliant starter cruise if you're not too sure. Or take the plunge -sorry - and go for the 14 nights. Check out itineries to make sure you're stopping off at some great destinations. Read reviews on www.cruisecritic.com. You'll get an idea of which ship is right for you. We like friendly and casual so Thomson's were the right choice for us. You can also choose from some really glitzy ships, but we like the staff and atmosphere on Thomson's. Hope you go cruising and have a fantastic time. After our first cruise, we were hooked. smile

Greatnan Tue 06-Mar-12 13:15:28

I have considered a 'live-aboard' holiday with divers but they are mostly young men who don't mind sharing 'the heads' - if I find one with a private bathroom I will consider it. There is some snorkeling on the Caribbean cruises, but it is usually for about half an hour at each stop. I am a serious snorkeler - I tend to spend most of my day in the sea, just coming out for lunch, and in Egypt I was in the sea by 6 a.m. each morning to catch the fish feeding.
What I really need is my own boat and crew who would know where all the best coral is to be found. I do go out on boat trips, but I like to be alone, not surrounded by other people, being kicked in the face by their fins.

syberia Tue 06-Mar-12 12:05:58

SusietheGreat My first cruise was round the Med, (6 years ago) and I loved it. I am not much-travelled and it gave me a wonderful opportunty to see some of Italy, Menorca, Corsica and Tunisia. On board it was quite casual, but we did "glam up" a bit for dinner which was our choice. Lots of choice of dining and varied entertainment. I would do it again. x

digikidnan Tue 06-Mar-12 11:44:14

Love cruising MaurenM! When we first retired we went on gap fortnights exploring Scandinavia by rail, but now we can't manage the luggage.So, exploring by boat is great, every day waking up somewhere new and no packing, unpacking. We don't do the formal dinner bit. Going on deck to watch the stars much better!