Gransnet forums

Travel

Spending the winter abroad

(78 Posts)
susiecb Mon 14-May-12 08:55:57

We are thinking about sending a month (or two) somewhere warmer in January February. Can anyone advise please on how this is done. Travel brochures and internet only seem to deal with holidays and we were thinking more of a self catering option at a reasonable price. Also where to go - dont fancy Spain or Canaries - never been to either as its sounds like lager and chips all round. Any advice would be welcome. Thank you

Grannyknot Tue 05-Feb-13 16:15:13

Mamine (is what kindle auto wants you to be) many thanks for sunny meet up and Malaga wine. And thanks GN winter abroad thread! I could get used to this. Thanks all for kind wishes. sunshine smile [happy]

Mamie Tue 05-Feb-13 15:03:36

We would have liked to stay in Seville as well, but will have to make do with going round the ring road this time. We are looking forward to the westerly route and a change from that long, boring road through La Mancha.

Butty Tue 05-Feb-13 14:40:03

Salamanca! Ah, that brings back memories of a time with future husband, a motorbike, the hot smell of engine oil and dust, arriving wind-blown and exhausted through an avenue of cypress trees. A beautiful city.

Mamie Tue 05-Feb-13 14:19:37

Thanks both. Start the long trek north soon, though we are stopping off in Salamanca which I have wanted to see for a long time.

Butty Tue 05-Feb-13 13:34:39

Mamie/ Grannyknot Pleased to hear you've had a good meet-up in the Spanish sunshine! smile

Grannylin Tue 05-Feb-13 13:16:23

Oh stop it Mamie It's raining/snowing/sleeting/very cold/very windy here!So glad you are having fun thoughsmile

Mamie Tue 05-Feb-13 13:08:40

Just to add that Grannyknot (plus Mr. Knot and Mr. Mamie) and I had a very nice mini meet-up in Fuengirola today. Sunshine and new friends; thank you to the Gransnet winter abroad thread!
sunshine

petra Sun 27-Jan-13 19:27:01

granjura. I have read the book. It's makes it so much more interesting when you have been to places in the book.

petra Sun 27-Jan-13 18:50:36

Oh Mamie. I can see the road now in my minds eye. As soon as we pass through Granada we know we are in sunshine.

Mamie Sun 27-Jan-13 14:16:56

Our son drove down from Granada to join us this weekend. It was 7 degrees in Granada and 20 when they got here just over an hour later. My granddaughter only has winter clothes here and managed to fall over when paddling, so my DiL had to do an emergency shopping trip. People are on the beach in swimming costumes and behind them you can see snow on the mountains. Masses of people out and about today.

granjura Sun 27-Jan-13 14:07:38

If you want to read a bit about the recent history of Granada, during the civil war, do read Victoria Hislop's The Return. Very interesting. You will find that the hill opposite the Alhambra is still inhabited by Gipsies who live in caves - now accompanied by many new age travellers who can be a bit intimidating, walking around with packs of semi-wild dogs.

granjura Sun 27-Jan-13 14:04:33

Granada is surrounded by snowy moutains - in fact from the Alhambra we could see people skiing with my binocs. It is VERY cold in Jan/Feb - we had thick jumpers but nearly froze in the early morning queue. The Paradors have fantastic offers for seniors, with great discounts if you stay more than 2 nights- but to stay at the one inside the Alhambra you have to book a long time (very) in advance. When we asked if they had a room - they thought it was hilarious!!!

granjura Sun 27-Jan-13 14:01:38

Oh and forgot - of course from there you can visit the much wilder La Gomera- with a Parador hotel above the port, and La Palma and El Hierro. Many tours take you for the day to visit La Gomera, and we've been a few times, from the port of Puerto Colon in the South. You can take the ferry from the capital, Santa Cruz (North-East) for the other two islands.

granjura Sun 27-Jan-13 13:59:20

Just returned from Tenerife - fabulous weather, around 26/29 during the day, but 15C at night. Wonderful. Now many think of Tenerife as being hugely over-built, part fish and chips and part Las Vegas - but as soon as you leave Los Christianos/Las Americas and head North or West- you leave all that behind. Even within 10 mins you can get to nice fishing ports with lovely restaurants, markets, old houses, etc. From Los Christianos you can even walk to La Caleta along the beach. And if you don't want to drive, lots of companies do tours. We also love Puerto de La Cruz on the South-West coast, with its old quarter, botanical garden, huge municipal series of pools in a lovely garden setting by the sea. And Los Gigantes with its massive cliffs - take a boat to go and see the dolphins and whales (best time for that around March = sardines. But good all round). Visit the volcanic area around Teide, and the lovely green valleys around La Orotava, with all the almond trees in flower, camassia, echium, and so many more. We loved it and have booked to go again next January - booked already. If our daughter ends up staying there, we will definitely consider spending January there every year.

petra Sun 27-Jan-13 12:34:25

Hi Mamie. I will give you a wave as we pass through Malaga soon.
Leaving this Wednesday with the Motohome. We are heading for a site on the Western side of Gibraltar. We will be away for 3 months.
I fly back half way through the holiday as I can't be away from the GC that long.

Grannyknot Tue 22-Jan-13 20:10:21

Thanks for all the lovely suggestions and interest. I am so excited! Don't mind if it's a bit cool, as long as it is warmer than London!

annodomini Tue 22-Jan-13 19:43:53

I've been round the Alhambra complex three times and would willingly go again. The city is lovely too. By the way, Grannyknot, it will probably be a good bit colder up at Granada than it is nearer to the coast, so take a jumper. If you don't stay in the Parador, at least have a drink there.

Mamie Tue 22-Jan-13 19:31:23

Best of all would be to stay in the Parador, inside the Alhambra. It is a bit pricey though. Agree the Alhambra is wonderful. We went at Easter several years ago and OH got very bossy when people kept trying to queue jump. I think we started queueing about 8am.

jeni Tue 22-Jan-13 19:19:32

Couldn't agree more. I went round it with late husband about15 years ago. Well worth the effort!

glammanana Tue 22-Jan-13 18:53:51

Grannyknot do try and get to see the Alhambra,Granada is such an enchanting part of Spain you will enjoy.

Mamie Tue 22-Jan-13 18:53:41

We had a wonderful Easter holiday in Gaucin at Easter about fifteen years ago; it was fabulous. All the shops seemed to be in people's front rooms and food was very cheap. We are going to Ronda tomorrow, which we have only driven through before.

Grannyknot Tue 22-Jan-13 18:43:27

fonda that sounds wonderful. I'm off to Mijas Pueblo soon for the whole of February grin, having negotiated a 'mini-sabbatical'. I will see whether I can get to some of the places you mention - Gaucin sounds great. We are planning to do an overnight to Granada to see the Alhambra.

Fondasharing Tue 22-Jan-13 12:26:06

Not sure if this is still relevant but here goes. We have a home in southern Spain, Sotogrande, where you can see Africa very clearly from the beach nearby. The weather in January through until March and April can be lovely but it can also be very wet occasionally, so if you do rent then make sure that the apartment or house has heating that you can use.

From where we live we can easily reach Tarifa, Seville (beautiful), Cordoba, Jerez or venture to North Africa on the hovercraft. Gaucin is also beautiful. This is a part of Spain that is so rich in culture and so much to see and do. The Spanish rail system is fantastic and cheap compared to UK. We do not have lager and chips here....the spanish food is excellent and so are the markets. Not as good value as it used to be but the Spanish make you so welcome - especially children.

Strangely enough at present, we spend most of the winter in the UK. My parents are elderly and are often very ill during winter months, so I am here to look after them until I return around March time. My brother will return from Canada next year when he retires and then he can take over the winter caring and I can spend the winters in Spain!!

Hope this helps anyone thinking of spending time abroad in the winter months.

Ariadne Tue 22-Jan-13 09:22:24

envy me too! No snow here but it is very, very cold.

annodomini Tue 22-Jan-13 09:10:15

Mamie, envy and it's not even that snowy here in Cheshire.