Gransnet forums

Travel

Canadian Rockies

(14 Posts)
Ylil Tue 15-Jan-13 11:11:41

Add comment | Report | Private message nannypc Sun 13-Jan-13 18:39:27
I did a coach trip with Titan, starting in Vancouver and finishing in Banff, I was picked up at my front door and everything was perfect. It was a holiday my husband always wanted to do, I thought I would do it in his memory. It was fantastic.

Thanks for this nannypc, what was the coach like was it comfortable with plenty of stops and did they give you enough time to explore when you stopped? What were the hotels, food like? I like the idea of being picked up at home and being driven which would give us both chance to look around.

Nonu Sun 13-Jan-13 19:40:40

Goodnight have sweet dreams about the Canadian Rockies

moon

Ylil Sun 13-Jan-13 19:37:10

Thank you Nonu, I will.

Nonu Sun 13-Jan-13 19:25:48

Ylil , you mention it is a surprise for your hubby aged 70 .

It occurs to me you might want to check with your insurance company how they are about self drive?

That is if you do plan to drive .

moon

nannypc Sun 13-Jan-13 18:39:27

I did a coach trip with Titan, starting in Vancouver and finishing in Banff, I was picked up at my front door and everything was perfect. It was a holiday my husband always wanted to do, I thought I would do it in his memory. It was fantastic.

Ylil Sun 13-Jan-13 17:42:55

I'm booking this on my own as a surprise 70th birthday for hubby. So don't know how to go about booking independently.

How do you find hire car, hotel and know how long it takes to get from a to b? We will only do the Rockies, so will fly in and out of the west coast? I've done the east coast.

Granny23 Sun 13-Jan-13 17:30:51

DD1, DH and me 'did' the Rockies a few years ago without a tour company. We flew into Toronto, had a few days there including a day trip to Niagra booked from Toronto bus station. Then cheap internal flight to Calgary, few days there, hired a car, drove to Banff spent a day lazing in hot springs and a day at Lake Louise. Drove to Vancouver over two days with an overnight in Kamloops and various meal breaks at tiny villages en route. Dropped off car in Vancouver and had 4 days exploring by public transport - water bus, ferry, bus and sea plane. Absolutely fabulous in all ways and at minimal cost (tween season 15 days spent under £2,000 for 3 adults including flights from Glasgow) because everything is MUCH cheaper if you book IN Canada instead of before you go. We mainly stayed in travel lodge style suites with small kitchen - booked one day ahead from a brochure.

We were a bit worried about going 'freelance' but no way could we afford the package prices and DD shared the driving & did the bookings, car hire, etc for us all. It also meant we could linger where we liked and go slightly off the beaten track, look for houses built by DH's grandfather in the 1920's, visit a school friend. Would love to go back but have to accept it was 'once in a lifetime' and we do have 200 + photos.

Ylil Sun 13-Jan-13 17:21:43

I saw a bear when I was in Ottawa, it was frighteningly close!

nanaej Sun 13-Jan-13 17:19:32

We did a tour about 20 years ago and that was good we travelled by coach from town to town and could join a tour or explore on our own.. do not think I cold recall the company name though sorry.

Nonu Sun 13-Jan-13 16:57:40

Oh , see , we always do our own thing , just get them to book flight and car rental .

Sort out our own accomodation .

Still there are lots of companies out there , have a google or ring round .

You will love it over there , it is special plus the people are very friendly.

Enjoy !

BAnanas Sun 13-Jan-13 16:56:54

HI Ylil, Had a holiday in Vancouver four years ago, when we booked the Rocky Mountaineer train to Banff, with an overnight stop in Kamloops. We did see quite a lot, but I thought the train journey, which was over 2 days was too slow and after the second day I was quite glad to get off. I'm sure you will have a fantastic time the Canadians are really courteous and friendly and the scenery is spectacular. We were very disappointed not to have seen any bears though, but then of course that's not guaranteed!

Ylil Sun 13-Jan-13 16:46:13

Package I think.

Nonu Sun 13-Jan-13 16:39:33

Yes ,we have .

We usually go with Dialflight , a bucket shop .
Mind you are you renting a car , or do you want a package ??

Ylil Sun 13-Jan-13 15:51:17

We are planning a 7/10 day trip to the Canadian Rockies, has anyone done this and can recommend a travel company?