Gransnet forums

Travel

Our USA Roadtrip

(51 Posts)
Nonu Tue 21-May-13 02:10:38

Hello all,
Flew into Denver. After 1st night , drove up to Sterling and visited "Overland Trail Musuem" which was very good, then in the afternoon crossed the border into Nebraska where there was a welcome centre which told the story of the Pony Express , which only ran for 2 years before telegraph took over.

NEXT MORNING

Drove Sandhills Scenic Byway through "Broken Bow" a charming little town and spent the night at the delightfully named town "Valentine" , during the evening , we received a tornado/thunder storm warning over the T.V. fortunately it missed us by 30 miles.

Saturday 18/5/13

We drove to a National Wildlife Refuge , at Fort Niobrara , where we saw a buffalo herd , Elk and Deer as well as as countless prarie dogs. Later that day we crossed the border into South Dakota and at Chamberlain, visited the Lewis and Clark , information centrew , close to the Missourri river , where they had camped on their momentous journey . What very brave souls they were.

After spending the night at Mitchell, we headed up to De Smet , where we visited the homestead where Laura Ingalls Wilder experienced some of the adventures covered in her "Little House on The Prairie " stories .

I learn"t there , that she was 65 years of age , when she started writing these stories !!!!!!!!

Nonu Thu 20-Jun-13 17:39:10

Thanks , Ana , Ihope you enjoyed reading my little musings ,I have spoken to all family and some friends , now going to have a little hour here , as himself has gone to a retirement "DO" , don"t know how he can manage it , then I suspect "Jet -lag" will set in, so beddy byes for me , have unpacked , sorted washing , can you guess who used every garment he took with him ?? I will give you 10 bob if you can ? lol

Ana Thu 20-Jun-13 17:08:48

Nonu, what a wonderful record of your experience! Well done, Mr N.
Welcome back, by the way! smile

Nonu Thu 20-Jun-13 17:02:15

Although I have to say Mr N , writes a diary every day whilst we are over there , then types it all up when we get back . I secretly admire him for that how he can remember the next morning , what we did the previous day. His is more personal to us though. grin

Nonu Thu 20-Jun-13 16:58:49

Butty , thanks , glad you enjoy them I find it is nice to write things down then they become a permanent memory for me .

Ana Thu 20-Jun-13 16:57:09

I was about 17 when I saw Easy Rider and I can still remember the shock! I just wasn't expecting that ending.

Butty Thu 20-Jun-13 16:51:53

Nonu Deliverance is one of the scariest movies I have ever seen!
Always interesting to hear news of your road trip.

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Jun-13 16:46:48

Haven't seen either of those films, but did see the documentary - and stuff from that Michael Moore chap.

Enviousamerican Thu 20-Jun-13 16:42:34

I guess news can be conflicting. I'm constantly amazed when I read your papers on line the US stories we don't get.

Nonu Thu 20-Jun-13 16:33:49

Deliverance is one of my all time favourite movies , even though it scares the pants off me, watching it .

Ana Thu 20-Jun-13 16:28:27

Envious, according to some of the news reports in this country, that's exactly what people in the US are doing - running out in droves to buy guns! confused I watched a documentary the other night which gave the information (whether true or not) that apparently gun sales have gone through the roof.

Enviousamerican Thu 20-Jun-13 16:22:18

BTW Easy Rider and Deliverance were movies made to shock people.

Enviousamerican Thu 20-Jun-13 16:14:30

NfkDumpling, pick up truck+gun=a hunter.Please don't worry about getting shot.Also the gun law debate hasn't caused people to run out in droves to buy guns.

Nonu Thu 20-Jun-13 15:44:09

Nfk , very nice too , a place I"ve not been to .

Don"t forget to let us know back on the "Ranch" how you are doing smile

NfkDumpling Thu 20-Jun-13 15:38:16

We're off to Africa in the autumn - once that's paid for we'll start planning a USA trip. I must confess I had been a bit put off by all he recent gun law hype - and we did see the odd shot gun laying casually in the back of a pick up.

Nonu Thu 20-Jun-13 15:32:36

Anno , Thank you .

Nfk, you are right about Estees park , but Steamboat Springs is prettier , you will have to go again.

{smile]

NfkDumpling Tue 18-Jun-13 08:38:00

I'm hooked! We just touched on your tour on our last trip, but it was several years ago. We went through Rocky Mountain NP just as it opened after the snow. Fantastic. Is Estees Park that town which looks just tooo beautiful to be true?

annodomini Mon 17-Jun-13 20:27:00

That's a really lovely account of your trip, Nonu. I enjoy your travelogues. The tourism authorities in the US could employ you to do their publicity!

Nonu Mon 17-Jun-13 19:46:26

17/5/13

hello there a little update

In Wyoming we set off along The Beartooth Highway, this is an incredible 68 mile scenic byway, during which we drove past 11,000 ft, Mountain Peaks at eye level, the snow was still there in such quantities , that people were using the ski slopes as we passed. Many recken this is the most scenic drive in the USA and don"t think I would disagree.
Later in the afternoon we visited "Medicine Wheel" which is an arrangement of large stones , high in the Mountains with what appears to be a spiritual significance for 1st nation Americans.
Next day in the little town of Buffalo, we did a tour of the "Occidental Hotel" , where the author stayed whilst writing the stories on which the TV series "The Virginian" was based.
We then mioved onto Laramie and visited the Wyoming Territorial State Prison , built in the late 19th Century, where Butch Cassidy spent 18 months, the only time he was ever imprisoned . For cattle rustling. we also saw the gallows and the gas chamber . All a bit creepy to be a bit frank.
Next day through the Snowy Mountain Range and the Medicine Bow Forest. On route we had the magical experience of seeing a large Brown Bear ambling across a meadow 25 yards from the vehicle , lucky or what!!We ended up at Steam Boat Springs, [so named because the Springs reminded the early Fur trappers of the sound of a Steam Boat]

Next day onto the Rockie Mountain Park where we drove for over 30 miles through stunning Mountain Scenery, saw lots of Wild life, Deers, Elk and Big Horn Sheep [which is a rarity apparently].

Spending night just outside National Park at Estees Park.
Now moving onto Denver, the Mile High City , before flying home.

All gone too quickly, still have to go home before can return .

This trip has been different to many others, as we have had the soul soothing feeling of a deep inhale of crisp Mountain Air. Redefining "Road Trip" on wide open , traffic free highways.
TO be highly recommended!!

Bye for now sunshine sunshine to ya"ll

Nonu Tue 11-Jun-13 16:06:30

NFK mmmm is about right !!! smile

Today we are off to Laramie and will visit the Old State Prison for a guided tour , electric chair and all , at Rawlings en route . Like the sound of that , will post & let you know how it went also our adventure over the Beartooth Mountains earlier this week .

Sel , garden getting a bit overgrown , or travelling out West , think we know the answer to that one????? Enjoy Istria

Temps already 90 d. only 9am

sunshine wall to wall

Sel Tue 11-Jun-13 09:26:11

Wow Nonu five weeks. I've never had a holiday approaching that. My OH is still working so time is constrained but how great if you can do it. Not sure I could cope with the packing - although I have heard they have shops in America smile

I have been to many parts of the US but not where you are so would be interested to hear more when you're back. From your descriptions, it sounds both awesome, in it's real sense and very interesting.

I'm off next week to Istria, Northern Croatia, somewhat closer to home so will catch up on my return.

Ok, so you've not put on any weight but I bet your garden will be a mess grin

NfkDumpling Tue 11-Jun-13 07:07:29

Mmmmmm....... Sounds mmmmmmm!

Nonu Tue 11-Jun-13 00:38:12

NFK
No it is a small car, but a little beauty, we would Never go off road. We always now go for a smaller vehicle and are paying roughly 2 pound a gallon.

Don"t forget also when we are finished , we will have driven 5,000 miles give or take , so as someone said "Every little helps" I will be looking for your posts next Spring .

SEL . No, 5 tremendous weeks , you would be consoled by my weight gain but you will be wrong sauceboat , as I am being very healthy and eating loads of smoked salmon {which I love anyway] and salad .

We never dine out in the evening, after our adventures. We hop into Wlmart or where ever pick out our scoff and hunker down. Pop our grub into the Mic. as he and I usually eat at different times . Very nice, watch some tv with the odd glass of vino and his Sierra Nevada.

So you will have me back in a week or so . Boo Hoo !11

{smiles] to all

Sel Mon 10-Jun-13 23:40:28

Nonu Have you emigrated?? How long is this road trip? It sounds absolutely wonderful. I am jealous and yet strangely consoled by the thought that you've probably put on loads of weight. Cowboy portions grin

Stay safe.

NfkDumpling Mon 10-Jun-13 21:55:44

Just looked up Choice Group - very good value. Is the hybrid 4x4? 50 mpg is brilliant. I really hanker after an RV but I suppose you (and DH) are right about the mileage - and there's a lot of mileage isn't there!

Next spring!

Nonu Mon 10-Jun-13 16:11:42

You really should NFK , Montana is gorgeous.

We rented a car and then stay in Hotels , as an when , + we stay with the Choice Group and gain points for every nights stay which gives us a few free nights .

I have never really fancied an RV , they seem so big and unwieldy ., plus they are gas guzzlers , the vehicle we are driving is a Hybrid so when we drive round the Citys it doesn"t use gas , we are also getting 50 miles or so to the gallon , which is a steal , so we are getting more bang for our buck.

Get yourself over here . sunshine