Gransnet forums

Travel

Lift Off!

(12 Posts)
Stansgran Fri 16-May-14 18:01:37

Anyone fromLiverpool remember the lifts in George Henry Lee's where you could see all the workings from the stairs going round the back? It used to scare me as a child.

GillT57 Fri 16-May-14 11:11:38

I have an irrational fear of glass lifts,and it became even more irrational when we went on our first cruise last summer. When we got into a glass lift that shot up the outside of the ship, everyone was ooing and aahing at the view while I was standing with my eyes shut facing the solid wall. What made it even more irrational was that when we got to our cabin on deck 9, a long way up, I was quite happy to be on the balcony and lean over looking at the same view that I had avoided in the lift. Analyse that! confused

ninathenana Tue 13-May-14 18:22:28

I saw that too GK he's a lovely little chap. Such a good idea to prepare him in that way.
I'm not bothered by lifts and it's not the claustrophobia of a scanner that would bother me. It's that I can't bear the thought of laying completely flat for 40+mins. I could lay still but not flat on my back.

KatyK Tue 13-May-14 18:19:45

Grannyknot Oh that poor little boy. When I see things like that it makes me ashamed when I whine about nothing. My son in law, although a lovely big strapping lad, suffers with his nerves poor chap, so I can understand why he reached for the panic button.

Grannyknot Tue 13-May-14 18:06:17

I love the glass lift in my building, it's glass all round.

Katy I think it must be worse in those MRI tunnels if you're a large(r) person. I must admit all the information they give you, almost makes it worse "You're going to be in there for 30 - 40 minutes". "We will be strapping you in". And - "Here's the panic button!".

I was flicking through TV channels this morning, I think it may have been an item on the news, and the sweetest little boy was going through "play training" for his coming MRI with a helper and using a little toy MRI scanner that he could control. His openness and natural curiosity about it all was a joy to behold. Poor little thing, he was due for a brain scan. So innocent and adorable.

Daisyanswerdo Tue 13-May-14 17:50:35

If lifts had glass floors, I'd never get in one. It's bad enough as it is; I use them but don't relax while they're moving.

KatyK Tue 13-May-14 16:50:48

I worked on the 10th floor of a building for about 15 years and never used the lifts after being stuck in one some years ago. Everyone thought i was rather odd but I was a lot fitter than most at the time. On visits to London, I won't use the tube unless absolutely necessary. Last time we went we walked everywhere and saw much more. Well done Grannyknot. My strapping 6ft 3in son-in-law made them stop the scanner when he had to have one.

Tegan Tue 13-May-14 16:13:03

My ex and his pal decided to jump up and down in the lift going to my mum's flat resulting in it breaking down. I avoid lifts whenever possible; not because of that but because I hate feeling trapped. Grannyknot; I could probably go into a scanner even though I get claustrophobic but I'm sure I'd need the loo after 15 minutes or so blush.

J52 Tue 13-May-14 16:06:06

Famous of course, if it had been a farmhouse there would not have been a lift!grin

J52 Tue 13-May-14 16:04:57

Several years ago, my DH was trapped in a lift on a housing estate where the tower blocks were condemned due to being built in the same way as a farmhouse collapse.
He was on a fact finding mission with Local Authority officials. One said not to worry there was an escape hatch! Cost cutting during the build had meant no hatch! Fortunately, a security guard heard their shouts and they were released.
It took him years to go back into a lift. He's ok with them now, so you may eventually get better.x

Grannyknot Tue 13-May-14 15:13:21

DeeTales I can only share my recent experience - I was recently referred for an MRI (--I don't think I am ill-- I am not ill but the doctors are interested in monitoring the "benign lesions" on my liver that they think is probably a legacy from taking the contraceptive pill in the 1970s. But as you say, that's another story. And thanks for nothing, The Pill.

So, happy happy I skip off to the MRI appointment, only to discover once I am there that it is the "tunnel" variety (for some reason I thought it was going to be a "doughnut" and my head would stick out). So I panicked a bit because I don't like small spaces. I panicked even more when they told me that I would be in there for "up to 40 minutes".

So I said to the lovely staff "Give me a minute to consider please". In that minute I told myself that lots of people have to do a lot worse than this, basically told myself to "get a grip" "it's not as if you're going underground in a gold mine" etc. etc. Then I tell myself "Flick that calm switch on".

Up I hopped on to the table, didn't panic when they strapped me in, had a momentary panic about 20 minutes in when I need to cough and had to fight an urge to sit up (but I just bit really hard on the tip of my tongue which distracted me). Long story short, when I came out, the staff were swooning all over me, telling me what a great patient I was. I told them about the "calm switch" and I could see they thought I was a little bit mad grin.

Can you find a "calm switch"?

DeeTales Tue 13-May-14 14:28:18

or not as the case may be. For many years I have had a 'phobia' about lifts...and the underground...yet trains, boats and planes (even to Oz alone) no problem. Anyone else out there liftaverse? I love driving - anywhere - me in control I suppose. So I avoid lifts at all times but travelling can be challenging. Take last week in my hotel in Germany...NO STAIRS...and although I was only on the 1st Floor (my usual request) I would not go in the small lift...then the frightening adventure began...I feel a blog coming on.