Gransnet forums

Travel

Travelling with grandchildren

(10 Posts)
Humbertbear Fri 04-Sep-15 20:45:38

If you are taking the children abroad you have to have a letter from the parents notarised (is that the word?). I think you also have to have copies of the parents passports.
I would love to take my GC on holiday but I also think it will be pretty tiring. Don't put too much in the diary for the following week.

Penstemmon Fri 04-Sep-15 10:01:07

www.seaviewisleofwight.co.uk/self-catering-holidays/salterns-village-cottages/

We spent a week with our DGC here (2-9) at Easter. Can recommend it. Easy walk to a small beach and not far to drive to the very many attractions on the IoW! Hopefully in August you won't need coats on!

Jane10 Fri 04-Sep-15 08:52:29

Small children might not be as bothered about sun as you minimo. The 'adventures' mentioned above could be such fun. Enjoy it when it happens. Have a happy time! I've got my DGS this w/e and have lots of little requests in from him of things like 'snakes and ladders' and a walk in the woods. Not big things -just time and attention. Can't wait!

valeriecoughlin Thu 03-Sep-15 21:18:30

Whoops that message should read now they are 9 and 16 years old. January we are taking the Clamping on Seven Mile Beach near Sydney

valeriecoughlin Thu 03-Sep-15 21:15:48

We took are grandchildren away all school holidays to a cottage in Dorset when they were 2 and 3. Very fond memories. If they wanted to sleep in our room we put in a mattress. Lots of Art beach museums and cooking. They are in Australia now. We are taking them now 9 and q1, Glamis at Seven Mile beach.
Enjoy it and store up wonderful memories.

minimo Thu 03-Sep-15 17:14:34

Until 9! yggdrasil - if mine sleep till that time I will be over the moon. I do like my morning sleep smile. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I hand't thought of caravanning but I suspect the kids would love it! Just need to make sure we do our research on other things to do in the area in case the weather is rubbish. I was hoping to fly only because I thought we'd have a better chance of sun but I take your point Jane10...

Jane10 Thu 03-Sep-15 17:07:15

Avoid flying if you don't have to. Hanging around at airports etc as well as the flights can be a nightmare. The holidays suggested above seem ideal.

yggdrasil Thu 03-Sep-15 15:41:35

We've just got back from Croyde Bay. In a caravan with a 5 & 3-y-o.
Not my sort of holiday but they loved it. Shows in the morning and evening, beach in the afternoon. (the tide was right for that).
Ther was bingo and adult stuff after 8:30 but we didn't bother with that, put the kids to bed and relaxed. They didn't wake up till around 9 most mornings :-)

hildajenniJ Thu 03-Sep-15 14:50:06

We spent a lovely week with four grandchildren in a caravan at the Rosneath Holiday Park in Argyll in July. The GC are 8, 6, 4, and 2. We stayed there as they only live 3 miles away, and their mother was handy if we needed her. The GC loved it. It was away from home, they loved the caravan, a static one with three bedrooms, two shower rooms, and all mod. cons. There was plenty for them to do, the childrens' club had loads of activities for them, games and crafts. The 2 yr old painted some lovely pictures which all ended up being a muddy brown colour. It was only a small park,xand quite quiet as we were there before the English schools broke up for their summer holidays.
I hope I have given you an idea. We had a fabulous time. Enjoy them while you are still fit enough!!

minimo Thu 03-Sep-15 14:01:12

I've volunteered to take my grandchildren on holiday with me (and my husband) for a week next August. They'll be 3 and 5. Am I mad? Will I cope!? grin. They've been to stay with us on their own for a few days so we're used to that but going away will be a whole new kettle of fish.

More to the point, has anyone else been away with their grandchildren (no parents). Where did you go? We haven't decided on a destination or anything yet. Thinking local but a short flight should be doable? Or will it!
What should we be aware of? It's a long way away which is probably just as well as I think this will require some planning...