Gransnet forums

Travel

Port Sunlight

(15 Posts)
BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Wed 30-Sep-15 10:40:32

I have just finished my 'Summer' of travelling around Britain catching up with old friends and family. My latest was a trip to the Wirral. Whilst there my friend who used to work for Lever brothers tookme to see Port Sunlight, what a lovely place ! William Hesketh Lever certainly had a vision re workers houses. I do believe most of the houses are privately owned now but many by relatives of the original inhabitants. Have any other G/netters been? What did you think? Is there a G/netter who maybe lives there? I am so interested as to what it would have been like back when...As for the soap my friend said there was quite a few chemicals added so maybe not good for the face but I do remember my mother using it for washing clothes and the smell....which I still like.

Liz46 Wed 30-Sep-15 14:20:43

Yes, we live very close to Port Sunlight village and it is lovely. Did you go to the Lady Leverhulme Art Gallery?
The gardens are always beautiful but I believe the regulations if you live in one of the houses are very strict.
I worked in the offices from 1962 and they were good employers.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Wed 30-Sep-15 14:43:43

Hi Liz46 Yes the Gardens are very beautiful and we had exceptionally good weather which made them seem even more lovely. The LLAG was also well worth a visit. We just missed being able to see inside one of the cottages that has been purchased but maybe next time. There do seem to have been/be a few restrictions to living there but for such a lovely place probably worth it. I originally come from across the Mersey but never knew about the history....or didn't pay attention at school more like !!

Auntieflo Sat 10-Oct-15 20:04:31

A bit late to this post as I have only just found it, but we did visit last year on a trip organised by our coach tour holiday. It was lovely, even in the rain, and I must say it looked as though it would be charming to live there. Everybody on the coach was given a bar of their Sunlight soap. It was marvellous stuff, and not a bit like the poor substitute that can be bought online. While in their shop, I treated myself to some Pears soap ( a soft green) that smells divine, and some Vinolia soap. Lovely old fashioned soaps.
The houses were laid out, I think, in a similar style to the Cadbury housing in Birmingham.

annodomini Sat 10-Oct-15 20:53:26

It's a fascinating place. I've been there twice but the first time we were a bit rushed so couldn't enjoy the Lady Lever Art Gallery for as long as we wanted. The next time, we stayed there so long we almost got thrown out. Loved the exhibition of Wedgwood and the beautiful furniture. However, I am not a fan of Pre-Raphaelite painting, though I have to put up with it if I am with an aficionada.

BiNtHeReDuNiT14 Wed 28-Oct-15 17:40:28

Was offline for a while so missed your posts Auntieflo and anno Glad to hear you both enjoyed it as much as me. Will definitely be back for another longer visit at some point.

rosequartz Wed 28-Oct-15 18:32:20

Would really like to visit as DH's father used to work for Sunlight many moons ago.

mrsmopp Sun 20-Dec-15 01:58:28

Only just found this thread. I know Port Sunlight well as I used to go to school nearby in Bebington. Port Sunlight is lovely, and Lever was one of those companies that looked after their workers.
The Art Gallery is lovely - I bought some posters of Lever soap adverts to put up in the bathroom - they look great!
I love the Wirral and could happily move back there.

glammanana Sun 20-Dec-15 11:25:20

Mr Glamma worked at Levers in the lab until his retirement he worked there for many years,we where offered a cottage in the Village but refused as the occupants where the first workers to be called in if ever there was an emergency in the production or mixing of the soaps,and yes the regulations where very strict down to the colour your front door was painted even so it has always been a very well kept Village winning the Britain in Bloom award a few times,we still have friends who live there and visit often to go to The GreenHands Garden Centre which is a lovely afternoon out.*Mrs Mopp* it would be lovely to have you back on The Wirral we are in New Brighton on The River Front practically,fabulous views across The Mersey & Liverpool Bay.

Tegan Sun 20-Dec-15 12:06:49

I've missed this thread too. It's on my list of places to visit, along with Saltair. I'm fascinated by these villages built by forward thinking industrialists.

Jane10 Sun 20-Dec-15 12:34:36

New Lanark is also well worth a visit.

rosesarered Sun 20-Dec-15 12:55:58

Have seen a programme on tv about Port Sunlight, the house looks lovely,and as tegan says, these model villages are interesting bits of living history.Have been to the Bourneville one and know the Saltaire village in West Yorks very well.

Tegan Sun 20-Dec-15 19:33:28

Bournville is, I believe, still teetotal as it was built by Quakers.

oldgoat Sun 20-Dec-15 19:56:23

New Earswick village near York was built by Rowntree for their workers. Like Bournville, it still has no pub.

rosesarered Sun 20-Dec-15 20:27:43

I think they were all built by either Quakers, Methodists, or strict teetotal-ers, workers were never supposed to drink, or at least not be shown to be drunk or the family lost the house.