Gransnet forums

Travel

Madeira

(6 Posts)
KatyK Tue 29-Dec-15 11:23:16

I need a bit of help please! We have booked a holiday in Madeira for next year. We have heard only good things about it and are excited to be going. However, I was telling someone at the weekend and she asked if I was a nervous flyer (which I am a bit but one of our party is extremely nervous about flying). Anyway, this person said that landing in Madeira is very scary shock She didn't elaborate but I have since Googled it (big mistake) and Madeira airport is listed in the top 10 scariest places to land. Can anyone reassure me please?

GillT57 Tue 29-Dec-15 12:13:41

Madeira airport used to have a very short runway which involved very sharp braking! But, it has now been lengthened, we were there last February and it is just like landing anywhere else. Relax! You will love Madeira.

suzied Tue 29-Dec-15 12:19:21

We were there last spring and the landing was fine. You'll have a great time as it's such a lovely place. Try to go to the indoor market in Funchal. Amazing flowers and plants.

Jane10 Tue 29-Dec-15 12:20:14

I agree. Don't worry about the airport. Its a beautiful island. Once you've been once you're guaranteed to return!

rosesarered Tue 29-Dec-15 13:06:52

We went last year, I never noticed the landing, it was all smooth, so don't worry about it.If you can, join a tour of the mountainous interior of the island, it's marvellous.DH is hankering to go again this Spring.

KatyK Tue 29-Dec-15 17:11:36

Thank you everyone.