Gransnet forums

Travel

Europe after Christmas

(6 Posts)
Luckylegs9 Fri 19-Feb-16 09:47:16

Having been on my own for most of this year, not so bad in the spring and summer, I have made the decision to take an extended break next January and February. Can you suggest anywhere nice and warm suitable for me please.

TerriBull Fri 19-Feb-16 10:16:03

Whilst not mainland Europe, we took a break in December to Gran Canaria. This was a first, I had never visited the Canary Islands before, pretty much because I thought they wouldn't appeal. During our stay the weather was fantastic, sunny mid to late 70s. I was pleasantly surprised, I believe the temperature doesn't fall below 70 degrees in the coldest months of January and February. I would certainly go back for winter sun, we loved where we were staying in the south of the island, Maspalomas, we didn't visit the capital, Las Palmas, which I understand is the 8th or 9th largest city of Spain and it's islands and not devoid of culture, I believe Christopher Columbus stopped off there on his way to the Americas. Gran Canaria has a green and mountainous interior with lots of pretty villages.

rosesarered Fri 19-Feb-16 11:15:34

Spain, or Madeira? Gran Canaria or Tenerife.All, warmer places to spend time in Winter.

Daddima Fri 19-Feb-16 11:40:41

Old Man and I go to Gran Canaria every December. As Terri says, there's lots to see. Las Palmas old town is lovely, as is the beach, but it's worth remembering that the temperature in the north of the island can be quite a bit cooler than the south.

Lavande Fri 19-Feb-16 13:42:31

We are seriously thinking about one of the Canary Islands next winter. Some friends used to regularly pack up for a few months over winter and head to Malta.

petra Fri 19-Feb-16 20:40:29

Malta is not the prettiest of islands, and no beaches to speak of, and it can be chilly at this time of year. But the hotels are really good value with plenty of entertainment.
Gozo is much prettier and quieter.