Gransnet forums

Travel

Long term rental in Spain

(6 Posts)
Kateykrunch Sat 02-Apr-16 19:17:34

Hello to you all, I have never posted before, but having been reading posts with interest and understanding of some of the issues presenting for Grandparents. I feel that I may get some help with the following and would be really grateful for any tips, ideas, recommendations:-
We (OH and myself) would like to initially rent somewhere in Spain for around a month to give it a try (OH says, I will moan its too hot, dont like it, want to go home etc) and if we do like it, to then perhaps spend 3 months or more. I am 60 and OH is 62, so we are not pension age yet and OH does have some health issues which are controlled with prescription meds. So where do I start? We are off to Lanzarote on Tuesday for 2 weeks and will have a trawl around the Estate Agents to get some ideas, would I would really appreciate any insights from any of you who have been there, done that and have the T shirts so to speak. I really do look forward to hearing any comments and thank you in anticipation ?

chloe1984 Sun 03-Apr-16 09:56:02

We have spent three months from January to March in the Canary Islands and over the five years that we have been renting we have some things that are important to us. We rented through a reputable villa rental site, one that allows you to email the owner directly and asked if they would consider renting for a long period by doing this we have always avoided having to put down any sort of returnable deposit. As we never rent a car we always go a property near to a bus stop/ supermarket/ restaurants/ beaches , we don't like to be right in the middle of everything but a manageable walk away . We also need to have wi-fi so we can Skype family and keep up with banking/ emails etc. The only other thing we try and secure is somewhere that is comfortable as sometimes what is fine for a week or two is not always right for a longer period. Perhaps somewhere that has an alternative form of heating other than the sunshine as the evenings can be chilly. A washing machine is a good idea as sometimes you can negotiate a discount if you undertake the linen changes and light housework. We formed a good relationship with our owner and we look forward to our time there. Hope this helps you to make a decision.

Mamie Sun 03-Apr-16 10:08:32

We spend January in the south of Spain near Malaga (so that our son who lives in Spain can visit at weekends). We drive down over three days so we can take everything we need to be comfortable while we are there. We rent a three bedroom villa large enough for the family and this costs about 1000€ for a month.
The weather is normally about 20° and sunny, but the wind can be a bit cold sometimes. OH has arthritis and finds that he gets a good break from the pain while we are there. We shop, cook and generally potter around, enjoying the sunshine.

Kateykrunch Sun 03-Apr-16 17:01:38

Thank you so much Mamie and chloe1984, that is a brilliant start to my quest for info and gives me the basis for a check list in preparation for our adventure ?. I wonder if anyone else would be able to give any more snippets or recommendations, looking forward to hearing from you if you can. Thank you.

nookie Sun 03-Apr-16 17:53:04

Hola Katiekrunch. I live permanently in Spain and have been here for over ten years. You have the right idea with renting. Depending on where you decide to stay the area might have two sides to it. If you were to come over in the low season it is generally quite quiet. However come Summer certain parts have a night life that can go on until four in the morning. So be careful avoid appartments over bars and restaurants. The nightlife in the Summer months is of course outside. There are rules and regulations governing noise but this is Spain. Spanish people generally do not go out for an evening meal until after 22.00. They often have their children with them who have had a siesta and are beautifully behaved.

As for medical cover you should have an EHIC card which would cover you for emergencies. However it will not allow you to obtain any prescription medication. You can purchase some drugs here that are not available over the counter in the U.K. If you should go on to move here permanently then once you are in receipt of state pension you can obtain a SIP card and have access to the Spanish medical system. Which is extremely good. However should Britain leave the E.U. this might change.

When looking for a property to rent always go with a reputable Estate Agent. If you are coming over in the Summer then air conditioning is an absolute must. If you choose to live on an urbanisation then most likely there will be a communal pool. Prices can vary depending on how close to the sea you wish to be. But do your homework there are plenty of places available.

There are loads of things to do here and making friends is very easy. I moved here when I was 48 and after a while found that I needed to be doing something. I now do voluntary work and am President of an animal charity. I also help run a scheme putting Engligh speaking adults into Primary schools to help the pupils with their English. A lot of schools here are now bilingual and teach some subjects in English only.

If you would like any specific advice then I am only too happy to help. I live on the Costa Blanca in the far south.

Kateykrunch Mon 04-Apr-16 17:20:54

Thank you so much nookie, great info - I have already sent you a private message. Looking forward to any one else with snippets of best practice.