Gransnet forums

Travel

The Spanish do like a bit of noise, don't they?

(4 Posts)
jinglbellsfrocks Mon 04-Apr-16 09:31:20

We happened to pass a church in Valencia on Friday evening when a wedding party was coming out. So, of course, we hung around to see the bride. Out came the happy couple and were showered with the usual coloured sugar. All very sweet. But then - the whole street literally exploded in noise! And I was terrified! It turned out to be a load of really loud fireworks being let off - just off a crowded street - without a word of warning to anyone. They let them off just inside a little side street which, of course, amplified the sound even more. It was deafening! If that had happened in London, there would have been sirens and blue lights everywhere! grin

And then, another day, in a small town out in the mountains somewhere, they were having a religious parade, with priests, and Jesus and Mary statues being carried aloft - and VERY loud drumming! It was, literally, deafening! And, worringly, there were very small children amongst the drummers. What must that have done to the hearing of those children?! shock

Apart from that, Valencia is really beautiful, and the people are lovely, and so friendly too. smile

Pippa000 Mon 04-Apr-16 10:40:03

It must be a Mediterranean thing, here in Cyprus people 'speak' at a volume only usually heard when shouting. Even in a tiny Taverna. I can hear my neighbour two door away on her mobile as I type. Even the birds shout!! As for the fire crackers at any time and so called hunters with shot guns on a Wednesday and Sunday in the 'hunting season' outside our house, even get shot gun pellets in the swimming pool!!

tiggypiro Mon 04-Apr-16 14:00:11

I'm so glad you enjoyed Valencia jingl. I remember well all the firecrackers at DS's wedding in Valencia. I had been warned about them but failed to tell my sister who jumps when a Christmas cracker is pulled. Lets just say she remembers that wedding !! If you think that the wedding firecrackers are noisy just be thankful you were not there at the time of Las Fallas or in Beijing at New Year !!

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 04-Apr-16 14:32:47

It is such a beautiful city tiggypiro.

What was the drumming all about though, at the parade? Huge drums that they banged as hard as they could. They went all round the town. Reminded me of the old English custom of 'beating the bounds' to get rid of evil spirits.

I must read up about it on the net.