Gransnet forums

Travel

japan

(5 Posts)
susandevon53 Sun 17-Apr-16 14:42:01

Hi everyone, has anyone been to Japan, my friend and i are going on 13th May to Kyoto and wondered if you have any tips that might help us, also did anyone find the language a problem.

kittylester Sun 17-Apr-16 17:42:41

Japan is lovely and Kyoto is fascinating. We've been 3 times. The language can be a problem but I understand that there are more English signs about than when we last went.

The people are really friendly and helpful and, if you stand about looking confused someone is sure to take pity on you and offer help.

Try to visit Hiroshima and Miyajima and an Onsen. Be prepared for beautiful manners and superb customer service.

I'd love to go back.

gettingonabit Sun 17-Apr-16 18:35:44

Yes, I've been, but not recently. I found it VERY expensive. We blew our budget on a bullet from Tokyo to Kyoto (it goes past Mt Fuji).

The people are so polite and well-mannered. They actually bow! It's lovely, and feels really safe.

Parsleywin Sun 17-Apr-16 18:56:39

Susandevon,

I am properly envious! I've watched lots of travel progs about Kyoto and Japan and would love to visit. Will you see the cherry blossom? In Kyoto there seem to be lots of businesses run by 14th or 15th generation families. Kimono designing, art scrolls, puppetry, speciality foods etc. I love that a skill could be a way of life for so many generations, and don't think we have many like that here. I have the impression that the Japanese still appreciate lots of traditions from the past in tandem with embracing new technology. I also saw a moving programme this week where an American visited Hiroshima.

I hope you enjoy your trip, and please do report back to share your experiences!

susandevon53 Sun 17-Apr-16 19:04:16

Thank you all for your messages,we will miss the blossom but it should be pretty with all the flowers starting to come out.
Their seems to be so much to see and we we will be their for the Aoi Matsuri festival which we are really looking forward to.
We hope that the terrible earthquakes are far enough away not to worry about, so sad to see the destruction it causes.