Gransnet forums

Travel

Buffet Breakfast

(152 Posts)
cassiedawn Mon 25-Apr-16 09:57:23

is it just me or do you find it distasteful when people take extra food like fruit etc away from a buffet breakfast. We have just spent a weekend away and saw enough fruit to make a fair sized fruit salad being stuffed into pockets and a handbag and slices of meat and cheese wrapped up in a serviette. I will admit to eating more than I would usually but I would never take any extra it seems like stealing to me.

Jalima Wed 27-Apr-16 16:09:00

Jalima you say you took a Danish pastry for Ron...... Was he hiding out in your room? grin

Lateron grin rosesarered

annodomini Wed 27-Apr-16 15:33:29

Oh dear! When I was on a Ramblers' half-board holiday, the hotel breakfast in Seville was a mountainous buffet and we could have eaten all morning! However, I wore a dress with capacious pockets and used to take away an apple (or two) for elevenses and lunch, rather than eat them on the spot which would not have raised any eyebrows.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 27-Apr-16 14:03:28

Might this be getting a little boring now? smile

Zorro21 Wed 27-Apr-16 13:35:11

Ha Ha that made me laugh too !

moonbeames Tue 26-Apr-16 23:06:32

I couldn't agree with you more Synonymous. These business's have to make a living usually they provide a beautiful breakfast that we eat at the time. It is not meant to feed us for the rest of the day. I do think its very unfair to take things and put them into a bag for later. (akin to stealing)

Katk0548 Tue 26-Apr-16 22:50:39

I have seen the restaurants that charge for leaving food. I think it's certainly common in the Far East. I think it's to discourage people from taking loads more food than they can possibly eat and just wasting it ( and I've certainly seen this happen). I've never been penalized for leaving a small amount of food that perhaps I didn't like or found I just couldn't finish.

Witzend Tue 26-Apr-16 22:25:44

Re doggy bags - IMO it is quite a different thing to ask for a doggy bag if you have been served too much at the table, from taking a lot of extra food from a buffet to eat later.
Friends of ours regularly ask for doggy bags at pubs where the portions are huge.
The dogs are always happy when they've been for a pub lunch. smile

Mind you we have occasionally asked for a 'human bag' after mistakenly ordering too many dishes at a Thai or Indian.

phizz Tue 26-Apr-16 22:11:55

When we were on a coach trip in Germany we were specifically requested not to stock up on food for the rest of the day at breakfast time. We were also told this is a particularly English habit.

It made me ashamed to be British.

Jane10 Tue 26-Apr-16 21:44:18

My Dad, when staying in a hotel, used to have a room service breakfast. He couldn't usually finish it all. He didn't want to hurt the hotel staff's feelings so he'd take the uneaten items away to dispose of once he was away from the hotel. He was a real old fashioned gentleman who didn't want to give offence to the kitchen staff! It was very typical of him. I do miss him.

princesspamma Tue 26-Apr-16 21:42:00

To the lady who reported me - thank you. I did wonder if perhaps I was being harsh, and seeing stereotypes where none existed, but I think what you did was confirm for me what I often think here - I don't fit here, and I don't think I want to either.

rosesarered Tue 26-Apr-16 21:38:54

Jalima you say you took a Danish pastry for Ron...... Was he hiding out in your room?grin

granjura Tue 26-Apr-16 21:32:02

LOL my DH is British, not Swiss, and we met in London, not Switzerland? lol
Clapham Junction in fact- how romantic.

Jalima Tue 26-Apr-16 21:14:14

Is there something he is not telling us gj?
He told me he has never been to Switzerland (although he has travelled the world) hmm

cruisegal Tue 26-Apr-16 21:10:03

If you want to see gluttons !! I was lucky enough to be on a cruise for my 70th Pride of America there was more food on the plates than I eat in a week my sister said have they finished ,yes that is the seconds mind you the size of the people matched the amount of food the alarm often went in the lift to signal overload smile

GillT57 Tue 26-Apr-16 21:01:52

Agree about the cruise comments, janeainsworth we have been on quite a few and have never seen people pigging out at buffets or anywhere else. There is so much good quality food on offer there is no need to pack yourself a lunch from the breakfast buffet. Frankly, I hate to see people doing that, and despite all the good reasons given by others on here, I have always felt it shows a mean streak and is penny pinching.

granjura Tue 26-Apr-16 20:50:20

Are you married to my DH O) ?

Jalima Tue 26-Apr-16 20:39:04

I mean the cats!!

Jalima Tue 26-Apr-16 20:38:22

DH would say leave them to their own devices to keep down the mice; the better they are fed the more they breed etc etc.

granjura Tue 26-Apr-16 20:35:16

Jalima I always take any left over food from my à la carte meal for the stray cats- much to DH's embarrassment.

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 26-Apr-16 20:24:52

I would have to stuff some in my handbag!

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 26-Apr-16 20:22:24

it was this one gj. Queen room with brekker plus £59 (for two)

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 26-Apr-16 20:20:01

Or feed all the poor disabled beggars on their streets.

Jalima Tue 26-Apr-16 20:18:19

There was so much food at the buffet at a hotel we stayed at in Spain that I was tempted to fill a bag and go and feed the stray cats (I could see one man feeding them across the road).
But - is that a good idea or not?

granjura Tue 26-Apr-16 20:16:30

I'd love to go and stay at the St Pancras Marriott- one day I will- lol, but not for the breaky.

granjura Tue 26-Apr-16 20:15:45

Well, I must say I would not ever even begin to think about tipping food in my handbag!? lol. But yes, if there is one item you didn't like, you could put it in your paper serviette and put it in- but it would certainly make you think about not going for 3rds and then leaving most of it- or taking a large portion of something new, only to find you don't like it. I think it's a great idea.

'That's £20 for all-you-CAN'T-eat': Restaurant 'fines' diners at Chinese buffet for leaving food on their plates

By Emily Allen

Published: 18:04 GMT, 16 May 2012 | Updated: 06:42 GMT, 17 May 2012

A Chinese restaurant offering an all-you-can-eat buffet is charging customers £20 in 'wastage' if they leave food on their plates.

Managers at the Kylin Buffet in Ocean Road, South Shields, have put up a notice urging diners to eat up all their food - or face the penalty charge.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2145387/Restaurant-fines-diners-Chinese-buffet-leaving-food-plates.html#ixzz46xfqEIAW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook