Gransnet forums

Travel

St Brelade, Jersey - ideas for places to go with a child please

(5 Posts)
cangran Thu 28-Apr-16 10:32:50

I've not been to Jersey before but St Brelade looked lovely and I've booked a hotel overlooking the bay for the whole family to celebrate my 70th birthday in early June. It's just for four days and, if the weather is good, I expect we will spend much of the time on the beach. As we won't have a car, can anyone suggest ideas for things to do/places to go locally or easy to get to by bus with a lively dgs (5), especially if the weather is not too nice?

Galen Thu 28-Apr-16 11:02:11

Bus services are good. Zoo is great but not sure if dogs allowed.

Marieeliz Mon 02-May-16 09:39:40

I have been to Jersey many times. My friend used to work in the hospital there. As Galen said the buses are brilliant and you can get on and off around the Island there are some lovely beaches with cafe's and sea food. Gorey is lovely for dogs to run on the beach. Nice small shops. St Catherine's is also good. All are accessible by public transport. I have never had a problem with the weather even in April. We took a walking group of 12 last year we had a super time. You can get a daily ticket. The zoo is not a zoo as we know it. It is for the animals not the visitors as it is a conservation zoo. So you have to hope you actually see the animals.

NotTooOld Mon 02-May-16 11:27:46

It is a lovely 'zoo'. It was set up by Gerald Durrell - are you watching the programme on Sunday evening TV? It is not a zoo in the old fashioned sense but was set up by Durrell for conservation purposes. It's a while since I was there but there was a lovely cafe and a good shop, too. You could spend a good half day or more there. As Galen says, dogs may not be allowed.

cangran Wed 04-May-16 12:26:48

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I guess I made a mistake in my request as I won't be travelling to Jersey with a dog but rather with my lovely 5 year old grandson (+ the rest of the family)! It's very helpful to know that buses are good.

I hope the weather will be nice enough to spend lots of time on the beach, walking and generally puttering around, but had seen a couple of places that looked fun for children (and had good feedback) and thought it would be something different to do one day if either were easy to get to by bus from St Brelade. Has anyone been to either of these with young children?

Tamba Park (St Mary)
aMaizin! Adventure Park (St Peter)