Gransnet forums

Travel

Help - JFK to downtown NY

(12 Posts)
schnackie Tue 24-May-16 15:13:13

I am far from a novice traveller, but have never been to JFK in New York. My family live about 150 miles away from the city (still in New York) and I thought I could get Megabus from JFK to Albany. (Megabus goes to and from the Boston airport.) Now I find I have to get from the airport, on my own (with very little luggage!) to downtown New York City, and I may not even be able to get out of the city until the next morning.
Obviously I am trying all the Google searches etc, but just wondered if there was anyone who makes this journey on a regular basis and might know about a train or subway connection that I cannot sem to find! Pulling my hair out here. Travelling next Tuesday 31 May. Thanks in advance!

wot Tue 24-May-16 15:34:31

Don't get a taxi; it will cost a fortune! Train is cheaper.

wot Tue 24-May-16 16:43:25

Im sure there are trains from JFK but cant remember the name of staion. Will ta ke you to middle New York.

schnackie Tue 24-May-16 17:14:34

Thank you Wot. I am making a bit of progress with websites etc. There is a train and there are also those minibuses that you book ahead which don't cost much. But so far, I wouldn't know where they would be taking me! Sleeping in the airport will be a last resort, but may have to do that and then get transport to city to catch Megabus in the morning. Ugh!

Riverwalk Tue 24-May-16 17:33:12

Yellow taxi from the official stand at JFK. The queue is monitored by airport staff and there is a standard fare to Manhattan plus tolls. Used to be $50. Google something like flat fare taxi from Jfk to Manhattan

schnackie Wed 25-May-16 14:46:41

Thank you Riverwalk. I have now found that I can get a train from Penn Station to Albany for only £25 so I may get a taxi to the city!

Stainedglass Sat 11-Jun-16 15:17:39

There is a NEw York forum on Tripadvisor and I have usually found it very helpful from people who are living there

dogsmother Mon 12-Sep-16 08:23:51

Advice please on traveling to New York.
I am going with, my DD it's her 21st treat, she's our youngest! Just the two of us.
We are staying in Times Square hotel next week, but have not arranged a transfer from JFK.
I reckoned a cab from the airport would be the best or maybe a subway train any views here?
Neither of us have been before!

Purpledaffodil Mon 12-Sep-16 08:47:53

We did the same for DD's 18th, even stayed in Times Square! Believe the advice above still holds; to get an official yellow cab from the rank at JFK. Our taxi driver even gave us a tourist commentary on the way and took us to see where John Lennon had lived. All included in flat fare, but we did give him a good tip of course! Enjoy!

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Sep-16 09:30:40

It's a few years since we went, but we got a bus outside the terminal (just a service bus, I think), and we got off in the Times Square area. Sorry I haven't time to google it now (I'm already tearing my hair out researching two upcoming trips of our own!), but it was so convenient and cheap that DD1 used it on her next visit, where she'd always just hopped into a cab before.

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Sep-16 09:38:24

Couldn't resist a quick google - I think this might have been it: www.nycairporter.com/

Maggiemaybe Mon 12-Sep-16 09:40:33

Though it doesn't sound as cheap as I remember. Which I suppose might be to do with the lousy exchange rate.