Gransnet forums

Travel

Ruby wedding trip ideas

(16 Posts)
GrannyJune Thu 18-Aug-16 09:27:04

Hi
coming up for our Ruby Wedding next Sept, looking for ideas or suggestions for a special trip. Main proviso being no long haul flights and no cruise, something relaxing with good food, and choices of things to do.
I look forward to hearing from you all.
We are active early 60s and looking for ideas.
Thanks

Jane10 Thu 18-Aug-16 09:45:06

We've already got our Ruby wedding trip planned for next year. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'long haul'. Our will involve about 10 hours total flight time.
Why are you so anti cruises? They can be fantastic. All sorts of cruises too. How about a river cruise in Europe somewhere? You can even go via rail if you want to avoid planes altogether. The Worlds your oyster and 40 years married is certainly worth celebrating!

GrannyJune Thu 18-Aug-16 09:58:08

Hi
we cruised Baltic last year and although we enjoyed it, it was not very relaxing as we had never been to any of the countries before so took advantage of trips to see, and maybe look at revisiting them later on our own. Max 6 hours for flights as have done some long hauls before and did not find it a pleasant experience. May look at river cruise as a possibility.
Thanks

KatyK Thu 18-Aug-16 10:06:41

We went to Venice for ours smile Beautiful with lots of wonderful churches and buildings such as The Dowager's Palace in St Marks Square. We walked around the city for miles and there seemed to be something wonderful around every corner. Yes, it's expensive (and can be VERY expsnsive indeed) but we fund little stalls that sold sandwiches at lunchtime for a few euros. If you take a gondola ride, you just ensure that you fix a price before you get on, although the water bus is reasonably priced. We've been 4 times now! We also like Madrid and Seville for reasonably short hauls. So many lovely places!

J52 Thu 18-Aug-16 11:43:29

We went to San Fransico, a fantastic place. But I expect it's too long haul for you. Why not treat yourselves to a luxury stay in Florence. If you like history and art it's magical. We went on a ( long) day tour to Sienna, San Giminano (?Sp) and Pisa, with lunch at an Italian vineyard. It would be lovely in September.

Teetime Thu 18-Aug-16 11:47:15

We are going on our first cruise for ours but a smaller ship and 7 hour flight. We are a little nervous but everyone says they love cruises and we wanted to go to New England and not spend a lot of time on a coach so its a cruise from Boston to Montreal next May.

Jane10 Thu 18-Aug-16 12:04:22

We're off to Cape Town with a 5 night garden route tour in the middle of a 2 week stay. Its also DGSs birthday so whole family is coming to share the celebrations with the SA family too. Should be fun.

KatyK Thu 18-Aug-16 14:29:10

And The Amalfi Coast is stunning smile

Galen Thu 18-Aug-16 14:36:34

Unless you've vertigo!

mumofmadboys Thu 18-Aug-16 14:54:21

You say you are active. Do you like walking? We did the coast to coast walk from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay .192 miles. We went with Mickledore. They arranged the hotels/ B and Bs, arranged luggage transfer each day and we had packed lunches. Fantastic holiday and a sense of achievement. You can do it as slowly or quickly as you wish as you walk by yourselves.

KatyK Thu 18-Aug-16 15:05:29

Oh yes Galen those mountain roads are not for those of a nervous disposition in Amalfi!

Stansgran Thu 18-Aug-16 19:52:52

We hired a lovely place in the Lakes and had a sort of open house for friends and relatives and our daughters treated us to The Drunken Duck for a meal. Our golden is a couple of years away (if we're spared as they say in the NE) and I would like to hire a boat on the Nile and invite family but DH keeps spluttering into his beer whenever I mention it. Shrouds and pockets I keep saying.

petra Fri 19-Aug-16 11:22:52

Stansgran you should get a good deal on a holiday in Egypt wink

HildaW Fri 19-Aug-16 16:33:22

I do not see myself as a typical cruise customer , as both OH and I are often happy with our own company - that being said a high end River Cruise has been a huge hit for our respective 'big' birthdays. The boats we chose had no more than 120 other passengers and the whole experience was a delight. We met so many fascinating and entertaining people at dinner in the evenings but could be on our own during the days if we chose not to go on the included trip because these small river boats will moor up at a pretty town or city and you can usually just walk off on your own or they would always organise a shuttle bus so that you could please yourselves.

GrannyJune Thu 25-Aug-16 08:48:09

I think am managing to steer OH that a river cruise may be a good idea for next Sept.. Has anyone experienced river cruise on Rhine or Danube in early to mid September. Suggestions on best companies, best itineraries, value and what not to miss.
Thanks for all suggestions GJ

Sunlover Thu 25-Aug-16 09:56:08

My hubby and I have just come back from a cruise around the Croatian coast. Amazing holiday. Small boat with only 30 people on board. Some meals included. I have travelled to many places but found this part of the world absolutely beautiful. One on my best holidays ever. No children, peaceful and amazing scenery. I recommend.