Gransnet forums

Travel

European river cruises Sept 2017

(4 Posts)
GrannyJune Fri 26-Aug-16 10:21:59

I think am managing to steer OH that a river cruise may be a good idea for next Sept to celebrate our Ruby Wedding. Has anyone experienced river cruises on Rhine or Danube in early to mid September. Suggestions on best companies, best itineraries, value and what not to miss.
Thanks for all suggestions GJ

kittylester Fri 26-Aug-16 11:19:30

We have done a few river cruises and absolutely love the Rhine. We have always used Riviera and been very pleased with them. The ships are lovely with fantastic staff and the tours are included and well worth doing. The dress code is smart casual. We travel by Eurostar rather than fly and usually go on the middle deck.

Lillie Fri 26-Aug-16 14:48:29

We'd like to do this too. The Rhein is a working river with lots of traffic, we've done some lovely day trips. The Moselle is prettier in our opinion.

What I would like is suggestions for a company which doesn't have too many British people on board! We like a mix of nationalities. What type of food is served in the restaurant?

Thanks for any pointers.

Jayh Fri 26-Aug-16 14:55:37

I sailed on the Danube with Viking Cruises last year. The passengers were mostly American and great company. The most memorable bit was sailing into Budapest in the evening when it is all lit up. We went in October and it was cold but I would certainly recommend it.