Gransnet forums

Travel

Aeroplane travel

(9 Posts)
MrsE Wed 28-Sep-16 17:25:40

For the last five or six times that I have had plane journeys, I have developed a cold within a few days of returning home. Last time I tried using First Defence nasal spray but yet again I now have another cold and sore throat. Has anyone else had this problem and have they solved it. Thanks

petra Wed 28-Sep-16 17:53:30

Every time. Short of not breathing or wearing a mask I can't help.

Luckygirl Wed 28-Sep-16 18:04:04

SIL just back from America and has sore throat. At least it was on his return this time - the last few times he has been he has been ill whilst there, having picked up a bug on the outward journey.

NfkDumpling Wed 28-Sep-16 18:20:58

I usually get a bit of a cold after flying and often land with a bad headache but I wasn't sure if it was the claustrophobic stress of being shut in a sardine can for several hours or an on board bug. On our trip to the USA last year I was fine. I'd taken a friends advice and taken echinacea for a few days before flying and anointed my nostrils with Vick. It may have been coincidence, I'll find out when we go away this year!

absent Wed 28-Sep-16 21:31:53

Recycled air? Some airlines and some types of planes recycle more air than others.

aggie Wed 28-Sep-16 21:53:49

Vick is a great idea

chelseababy Wed 28-Sep-16 22:04:16

Yes got a cold after flying will have to try the above tips.

thatbags Wed 28-Sep-16 22:08:33

Apparently air in planes used to be better when smoking was still allowed because they kept bringing in clean air. Now they recycle more because there's no longer any need to get rid of smoke.

maybe people need to complain more.

mumofmadboys Wed 28-Sep-16 22:17:50

Hubby and I were both ill with respiratory infection toons after recent flight!