Gransnet forums

Travel

Day out by train

(18 Posts)
tanith Thu 06-Oct-16 15:37:51

We live in West London and now the cooler days are coming we thought a few day trips out by train would be nice but where to go. Don't mind a journey of up to 2hrs away from any mainline station in London somewhere we can have a wander for 3+ hrs before the return home.. Not bothered about shops as long as there is also something interesting to see even if the weather isn't too good.
Any suggestions people?

oldgoat Thu 06-Oct-16 15:56:08

York is only two hours from London by train. Lots to do even if it's raining. The Railway Museum is close to the station and free. It houses several Royal Trains and lots of fascinating railway memorabilia. In fine weather you could walk around the walls, visit the Minster or look at the Medieval streets.

Riverwalk Thu 06-Oct-16 16:02:43

What about Cambridge from Kings Cross, Birmingham & Liverpool from Euston, or a bracing day in Brighton from Victoria, all do-able in a day.

You could always go out west to Bristol or Bath from Paddington - you may be able to pick those up more locally to you.

ninathenana Thu 06-Oct-16 16:05:59

All good suggestions, my immediate thought was Oxford. I love a day trip to Brighton and a visit to 'the lanes'

Soupy Thu 06-Oct-16 16:11:01

How about Brighton? There's the Pavilion, the Pier and lots of little shops/cafes.
Or any of the cathedral towns - Ely, Winchester, Salisbury?
Depending on changing trains then there's Cambridge, Norwich.
www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/OfficialNationalRailmaplarge.pdf

tanith Thu 06-Oct-16 20:05:54

Thanks lots of good suggestions particularly fancy York and Norwich we've done Brighton a lot and I'm particularly a 'shop' person but thank you for all the ideas.. I've written them down so I don't forget wink

Treebee Thu 06-Oct-16 20:06:38

Come up to Bletchley and visit Bletchley Park which is a five minute walk from the station. There's so much to see, mostly undercover.

tanith Thu 06-Oct-16 20:28:05

That should of read I'm NOT a shop person...

Treebee we have family in Bletchley and keep meaning to go to Bletchley Park thanks for the reminder...

J52 Fri 07-Oct-16 08:02:36

Birmingham, great museum and art gallery; fascinating jewellery quarter with a time capsule workshop museum. The new library is also interesting Archtecturaly, but is shut some days due to council cuts! shock

whitewave Fri 07-Oct-16 08:20:41

How about Arundel? I think it would be possible from Victoria. Lovely bird wetlands, Castle, restaurants walks by the river, boating on the lake and of course shops.

kittylester Fri 07-Oct-16 08:23:15

If you go to Brummie book for the back to backs -absolutely fabulous!

LullyDully Fri 07-Oct-16 08:25:58

I was going to suggest Birmingham. If you like art the museum has the biggest collection of Preraphaelite paintings in the country. The cathedral has Burne Jones Angel Windows. You can walk from New Street Station or Moor Stret through squares and fountains, through Symphony Hall and over the canals. Lovely on a warm day. ( moved about 4 years ago and understand they have filled in the floosie in the Jacuzzi which is a shame I loved that in full flow.J52)

kittylester Fri 07-Oct-16 08:36:14

I did not type Brummie - Brum!

oldgoat Fri 07-Oct-16 12:11:35

We've been to several exhibitions at the NEC and now go a day early so we can go site seeing in Birmingham. Had to book way in advance to see the 'Back-to-Backs' but it was worth the wait. The interiors will be familiar to some posters on the 40s thread! We also enjoyed a ride in a narrow boat through the Gas Street canals and visiting the BBC studios in the Pillar Box where you can film yourself reading the weather forcast.

KatyK Fri 07-Oct-16 12:24:41

Come to Brum. I agree re the Back to Backs. My DH used to be a guide there. We also have all the restaurants and cafes along the canals, where there is
also a Sea Life Centre. The Mail Box is also worth a visit.
Symphony Hall usually has its doors open when there isn't a concert on and you go in and have a look.

gettingonabit Fri 07-Oct-16 12:32:25

Cardiff!! Castle, shops, museum.....lovely flat walkable little city.

Alima Fri 07-Oct-16 12:50:03

Do take into consideration the utter chaos on Southern Trains when planning your day. Just thinking Arundel is lovely but not so good if the trains are up the creek.

tanith Fri 07-Oct-16 12:51:45

Thanks everyone all your suggestions duly noted smile