Gransnet forums

Travel

Flight delayed due to hurricane - anyone else had this happen?

(6 Posts)
Glamorousgray Thu 06-Oct-16 18:56:55

Booked thru travel agents to travel to Orlando with DH and DD for first holiday in 10years. Just found out our flight with Virgin has been cancelled on Saturday and to be rescheduled for sometime on Sunday. We have paid for Friday night in airport hotel but obviously don't need the rooms now til Sat evening. So we will lose money paid for hotel and have to rebook rooms which travel agents say may be impossible at this late stage but can't do anything til airline confirms flight tomorrow . Has anyone experienced something like this?

suzied Thu 06-Oct-16 19:02:45

Will your insurance pay for the hotel? We were once delayed for over 12 hours when we were only going for a long weekend to visit a relative. No sign of when we could fly so we gave up and went home. The insurance paid out.

thatbags Thu 06-Oct-16 19:04:44

My nephew has, when trying to fly out of New York.

Rotten luck for you, glamgray. I do hope your whole holiday is not spoiled because of the bad weather.

SueDonim Thu 06-Oct-16 19:55:16

Try your holiday insurance. Though sometimes they won't pay out for weather-related things because it's an act of God.

NanaandGrampy Thu 06-Oct-16 20:15:29

This happened to us twice, once flying out of Manchester and a hurricane delayed us but only for a day.

The second was at Gatwick for the volcanic ash. We too had a hotel booked and when I rang they were more than happy to just change the booking so it's worth a try.

The only real problem occurs when several days flights are delayed , then there's just a backlog .

Hope it's just a short delay for you xx

Glamorousgray Thu 06-Oct-16 20:52:06

Thanks for replies. Don't think the insurance will pay anything as they class it as a natural disaster and as we have not set off for airport yet the airline won't cover any hotel costs.I think it may be an even longer delay due to backlogs, which will be upsetting(and expensive) but obviously my moans are nothing compared to the reality of being in Florida waiting to see what tomorrow brings