Gransnet forums

Travel

Northern Lights

(9 Posts)
Elegran Thu 03-Nov-16 10:21:11

Thanks for your replies. Those Iceland tours seem to be from May to September, TOW or they would be very good.

tiredoldwoman Thu 03-Nov-16 05:11:44

I've just used Riviera Tours to go to Krakow , very good but a wee bit pricey . They do Northern Light trips to Iceland from Edinburgh .

oldgoat Thu 03-Nov-16 00:19:01

It's been my lifelong ambition to see the Northern lights. They are sometimes seen as far south as Yorkshire, where we live. Recently we went to a dark night sky observatory in Northumberland where the astronomer suggested that we install a phone app. called AuroraNotifier. When the app gives a KP reading of higher than 4, he told us, there is a chance of seeing the lights.

Nelliemoser Wed 02-Nov-16 23:38:30

I have been to Iceland, the northmost part of Shetland and Northwest Scotland and not seen them. I am hoping I might see them in Iceland when I go again next year. I would be very upset if I had gone up there just to try and see them though.

Back in about 2000 I did see them in Cheshire not spectacular but you could see reddish "curtain" of light. OH who is a nightowl woke me up to see them.

Hilltopgran Wed 02-Nov-16 22:50:39

Sister went on a Saga holiday last year from Manchester to Iceland, most nights it was cloudy but they did get one quick view of them. She enjoyed swimming in hot pools more. To be more sure of success of seeing the lights she is going on a postal ship up the Norwegian coast to Artic circle for 10 days in February

grannypiper Wed 02-Nov-16 19:42:56

If its the Northern lights and not Iceland you want to see try Sutherland and Caithness

M0nica Wed 02-Nov-16 19:06:38

We went on one about 5 years ago. It was short notice and we organised it entirely ourselves. It was a lovely holiday, although the Northern Lights were barely visible because of the cloud cover

However there was so much mind boggling scenery to see and wonderful outdoor heated swimming pools that it hardly mattered.

We flew from either Heathrow or Gatwick. I cannot remember which.

grannylyn65 Wed 02-Nov-16 12:31:17

Went on a break to whale watch in Iceland. From Glasgow.

Elegran Wed 02-Nov-16 12:11:47

Has anyone any experience of short breaks to Reykjavik to see the northern lights? Preferably flying from Edinburgh.