Gransnet forums

Travel

Anyone retired abroad...from the UK?

(39 Posts)
SueinHull Thu 17-Nov-16 14:05:54

Hello As my husband and I are reaching maturing age we have decided to up sticks and move abroad, perhaps Hungary. We have talked and researched about this for a few years and now finally I think we are ready to go. Has anyone done this, if so, where, and have you any regrets?grin

jura2 Thu 02-Nov-17 19:52:11

Trial visits can be very unrepresentative of the reality on the ground. The Gers and Auvergne for instance can be gorgeous during the Summer holidays- all the cute towns and villages with people sitting on café terrasses, sipping delicious local wine, etc- and then come late October and holiday homes are closed until Easter, many restaurants closed to, and everyone gone- then come the holwing cold winds and snow.

Fennel Sun 29-Oct-17 14:42:12

As you say, Luckygirl, being able to speak the language is the first priority. Also to read and write it.
I think the french accept the british fairly well in small numbers. It's when they begin to outnumber the locals, and make no effort to integrate, that they can become hostile. As in a few parts of France.

Luckygirl Sun 29-Oct-17 14:33:04

And on our many trial visits, we listened to what was going on around us and took careful note of the attitude of the locals to the Brits - mostly very welcoming but not always what one might have hoped!

Luckygirl Sun 29-Oct-17 14:29:23

Our decision to move to France some years ago fell at the last fence as my OH was diagnosed with PD and we felt it was important to stay near our families, both for us and for them.

Before we went, these were some of the things we did/took into account:
- language - we both spoke passable French (I did A level and OH came from a family of linguists) and felt that it would rapidly improve when there.

- activities - we were both actively involved in music and we researched in great detail the opportunities there, even joining a choir as guests for an evening to get the feel of things. I also worked on a magazine and made contact with a local English mag, who said they would be delighted to have me on board.

- inheritance laws - very important to have full awareness of this.

- house buying protocols and tax issues

- culture and political system - we researched in some detail. You sound fairly casual about the political climate in Hungary - I would take a close look if I were you as this will determine the mindsets of your neighbours, and thus your communication with them.

- food - I am semi-veggy and the meat, meat, meat culture in France was something I had to take into account.

- grandchildren - as they came along we were glad we had not moved, as our involvement in their lives has been a privilege and a beacon of happiness in what has sometimes been a challenging life.

- health services - if you are retiring there, then you would do well to assume that your health will not always be as now.

- and lots lots more!!

jura2 Sun 29-Oct-17 14:10:51

Bonne chance smile

Fennel Sun 29-Oct-17 13:17:02

We live in France, in the Gers. Not far from where Carol lived at one time, though we never met.
It's so beautiful and peaceful, driving is a pleasure.
And we're going back to busy SE England.
But it will be good to be "back home", in spite of all the problems there.

jura2 Sun 29-Oct-17 12:56:40

Sorry ' may ask?

Of course we could never ever buy property near them in Surrey - and would have to go back to the East Midlands- we are so lucky that we were able to keep a small property there- so we could return at any time should we have to.

jura2 Sun 29-Oct-17 12:54:03

Where are you Fennel, if I amy ask?

jura2 Sun 29-Oct-17 12:53:10

So so sorry to hear that Fennel - it is so hard isn't it. When you are young retirees, in good health - it all looks so different. The stress put on UK retirees at the moment re Brexit is massive- worry about reciprocal health care, huge housing cost in UK compared to France, Spain and even more so, Eastern Europe and the re-sale market just disappearing. Hope you find a way to make it work for you x

Fennel Mon 23-Oct-17 17:59:28

Jura wrote
"but if I ever was widowed- I would want to return to UK to be near daughters and grandchildren."
We've reached that point now, our health is failing.
But we don't want to leave!

jura2 Mon 23-Oct-17 17:01:46

dianad- so sorry for your loss. I've known several women (and men) in the same difficult position - it is so hard. And as you say, selling a property abroad can be a nightmare. Most expats have bought homes which were 'cheap' as compared to UK as they were in rural areas where the French just do not want to live (Dordogne, Auvergne, etc) - and the only prospective buyers are expats. With the concerns over Brexit, £ exchange rates and future accessibility to health care provisions - that market is very wobbly. A friend has been trying to sell a wonderful house in the St Emilion area- lots of interests by curious (nosy) people - but no offers!?!

Different for us, as after 40 years in UK, married to a Brit- we decided to move here, in French speaking Switzerland near French border- in retirement. Little did we know that the Swiss Franc would keep going up, and the £ tumble so quickly- and now nearly 60% less than when we moved here 8 years ago- and with a possible further 10 to 20% in the offing if Brexit goes belly up, and the UK with it- and the possibility of also losing reciprocal health care and have to pay huge sums for private health care (around £500 a month each). We have many friends here, we both speak French fluently, etc, - but if I ever was widowed- I would want to return to UK to be near daughters and grandchildren.

Elsacraig Wed 18-Oct-17 17:45:16

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's given me insight into areas that I hadn't considered. Sorry for your loss. I hope you are more settled now.

dianad Mon 20-Feb-17 08:22:39

I lived in Spain and France for 14 years, and learned the language in both countries whilst living there. Its essential to do so because you integrate better and show more respect for the people of your host country. Health insurance is expensive and as you get older, it increases in cost. Conversion rates of sterling into the currency of your chosen country can impact on your spending power.
Bureaucracy can be a nightmare as there are so many layers to negotiate and this can be exhausting and frustrating.
However, the lifestyle in both countries is very different and a challenge if you embrace it.
The things I missed were such things as coffee and cake at any time of the day, the shops being all day, and being easily able to visit cultural events and sites without having to travel for long distances
However, the only reason I returned was due to the death of my husband as afterwards I felt very lonely and isolated, the adventure was no longer fun. This is something I hadn't taken into account, So, my advice would always be to try it first for two years and keep a property in the UK so that you always have somewhere to return to as selling your property abroad can be an impossibility.

Justdoit Thu 09-Feb-17 09:58:17

Hello Sue and fellow travellers,

Yes. I moved to Thailand when I hit 65, been here 4 years now and it`s got the friendliest people I have ever met, it really is a pleasure to be living here.

I am living in the main city because I love live entertainment like Blues, Jazz, and Rock & Roll and they do have a lot of it here.

The shopping complexes are some of the finest in the world, not to mention the arcades and markets and bazaars. and a lot of cheap stuff too.

If you like Thai food there is literally thousands of restaurants and cafe`s plus English pubs.

It`s very hot all the year around average 30 plus, the best time to visit is last 2 weeks in December and January because the temperature can drop down in the evenings I have known it to be 18 Deg overnight and around 26 in the day.

The Beach is about 2 hours away and brilliant.

SueinHull Thu 24-Nov-16 16:16:24

@TriciaF ....Yessss that's what my husband kept talking about, he watched it and got himself all excited. Gave him the idea of Hungary. I am not one for the primitive lifestyle but there are certain aspects I do like. Keeping chickens, goats, pigs etc, cooking outside but I could not be cut off totally from the rest of civilisation that's scary lol!

TriciaF Thu 24-Nov-16 14:13:17

I wonder if you saw the Ben Fogle programme about people who go and live in the wild? We watched one (recorded) the other night, about a couple who went to live in a very primitive house in Hungary. I think they paid about £5000 for it.
They had neighbours who seemed to be very friendly.

SueinHull Thu 24-Nov-16 13:13:04

@Petra...Lake Balaton is lovely, I think we may spend Christmas there. The hot thermal springs in Heviz (south of the lake) are hot for swimming all year round, so it will be quite a treat to swim outdoors in winter.

SueinHull Thu 24-Nov-16 13:09:26

@MargaretX In answer to your questions.... no I do not know the political bias in Hungary, only from reading Al Jazeera I have gathered there may be media restrictions...not really relevant to our situation, but I would be pleased if you could enlighten me further. Secondly, there is no work in Hungary for the Hungarians so they tend to leave their houses and pursue work elsewhere in the EU. Its a buyers market, particularly for foreigners. The reasons for choosing Hungary are detailed above in previous posts I have made.....its a beautiful country, cost of living is cheaper and crime levels are extremely low. As for language, DH seems to have a "language mind" (unlike me) and picks up language very easily, so I have no worries about being "cheated". He has just returned from his viewing trip to Hungary and we have chosen a property. Our intention is to visit Hungary again shortly and carry on our adventure. As an after thought...another reason for choosing Hungary is you can put your property in your children's name (under 18) therefore avoiding Capital Gains/Inheritance Tax when you are no longer around. In the UK it stands at 40%!!!!

MargaretX Tue 22-Nov-16 21:31:59

Perhaps if you play the violin or some other instrument you would be more than welcome in Hungary.
I can't see any other reason to go there, you will have noticed the political bias in Hungary? if not, check it out.

Has DH Finnish in his 9 languages? Hungarian is like Finnish but seems to be impossible to learn but from what I hear they do speak English but relying on that lays you open to be cheated.
Why are properties so cheap? Does nobody want to live there?

I admire your sense of adventure, my new life here with a German husband was a mixture of happiness, excitment and lots of homesickness and getting the children through the German school system was hard.
Best of luck.tell us what you decide.

petra Tue 22-Nov-16 19:53:11

SueinHull we have been to lake Belaton many times, beautiful. I also love their spa towns, unbelievable. Also Hungary is not too bad a drive to come back to U.K. for visit.

Christinefrance Sun 20-Nov-16 13:04:39

We have been very happy here in France despite language problems, think you get out of things what you put in. We have become involved with village activities and helped neighbours where we can. In turn neighbours have been welcoming and friendly, we are the only english people living in the village permanently but have never encountered discrimination. We also volunteer at an English library in a nearby town which is also an information and integration centre supported by the local Maire.
Rural France is very peaceful but not for everyone, much like the UK fifty years ago.
We have not regretted the move although French bureaucracy drives us mad at times.

SueinHull Sun 20-Nov-16 11:38:39

Hi nellgwin, yes done a bit of research about medical issues, dentistry etc. All seems very straightforward for Hungary. Hungary have double the number of doctors and hospital beds than UK...big bonus. As for the weather, deep snow in winter which is very good for hunting (my husbands passion) and nice hot not humid summers...which I love. Glad you had a successful move to Portugal, I have heard the people are very welcoming.

nellgwin Sun 20-Nov-16 11:33:13

Oops! Hungary

nellgwin Sun 20-Nov-16 11:31:48

Hi Susan in Hull, We moved to Western Algarve Portugal two years ago. We went through the legal system to receive free heath care and residency. Unfortunately the lack of doctors and nurses mean that we have to get private Hecate and as we both are over seventy we cannot get health insurance. Apart from that we have no regrets would never return to the UK. We are also lucky that most people speak English large British expat community,but Portuguese people are so friendly. I have also joined a multi expat choir and we sing in all the chorus languages. Love it, love it. Just make sure of legal aspect of living in a foreign country and go for it. Do you know how cold it gets in Hungry?

SueinHull Sun 20-Nov-16 11:30:45

Azie, ohhhh I feel your frustration. The friends thing you talk about, the estate agent we are using have a UK office and an office in Hungary. They have an expats monthly meeting if you want to get involved. I NEED people and don't want to be totally isolated. We want land to be semi-self sufficient, chickens, goats even pigs. Although I find the internet my best friend at the moment lots of researching. As Grannyknot says....most Hungarians speak English, the children are taught it in school. I read a blog the other day that the morals, ethics and way of life in Hungary are very similar to 1950's England. Leave their doors open, look after each other, children play in the fields etc. I am lucky, my other half speaks 9 languages but I don't....learning Spanish currently, although not much use in Hungary!! Lol. Think the best thing is TONS of research, lots of exploring, and then go for it. Life is too short to spend it in unsettled UK.