Gransnet forums

Travel

Wales...Self Catering

(25 Posts)
cazthebookworm Sun 12-Feb-17 11:07:55

Can anyone recommend a small cottage or similar, private, but withing walking distance of local amenities, level and close to the coastal path in Wales. Thanks sunshine

Anniebach Sun 12-Feb-17 11:54:39

Which coastal path?

LadyGracie Sun 12-Feb-17 12:35:06

We've had a couple of lovely cottages from Menai Holidays, reasonable prices too.

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Feb-17 12:53:40

I absolutely loved staying at Llangranog near Cardigan. On the coast but not flat. Must go back soon!

Greyduster Sun 12-Feb-17 12:56:45

Try Quality Cottages, Cerbid, West Wales. They have a website. We have been renting properties in Pembrokeshire from them for some years and have never been disappointed. They are nice people to deal with. We walk the coast path a lot and have always had properties within close striking distance of it.

callgirl1 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:04:11

Hengaeau-farmcottage.co.uk
We stayed there a few years ago, it`s actually on the farm, not far from the main house, but in it`s own garden, and is lovely. But be prepared for sheep in your garden at times!

callgirl1 Sun 12-Feb-17 19:44:37

These were taken on the little patio.

grannyqueenie Sun 12-Feb-17 22:04:50

Absolutely agree that Llangrannog and the surrounding area is beautiful mumofmadboys , another beautiful area in Wales is the Maddwach Estuary, particularly near Arthog, we've been going there for over 40 years. There are rental properties on The Crescent which is a stunning location overlooking the ever changing estuary, but I can't remember who they're with.

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Feb-17 22:27:47

I have never heard of the Maddwach estuary but will look it up. Thank you!

Anniebach Sun 12-Feb-17 22:29:42

All,of Wales is beautiful smile

merlotgran Sun 12-Feb-17 22:36:56

Pembrokeshire coast is stunning. We spent many happy holidays in Little Haven near Haverfordwest.

cazthebookworm Sun 12-Feb-17 23:11:11

Thanks so much for the responses, I am going to check them out on the internet smile

Jalima Sun 12-Feb-17 23:17:59

He wanted to come in callgirl grin

callgirl1 Sun 12-Feb-17 23:33:41

Actually Jalima, he/she was quite friendly. The property has it`s own gate across the top of the path leading from the farm. There were cows in the field next to the path, with a 3` wall around, but they weren`t stupid, the little buggers climbed on the wall and walked along till they got past the gate, then a couple jumped off, but the farmer was soon there to herd them back, not that we minded them, all part of being on a farm.

f77ms Mon 13-Feb-17 07:07:42

Pembrokeshire is beautiful , loads of lovely coastal walks but not when it is windy grin St Davids and Haverford west are two very nice places to stay.

Greyduster Mon 13-Feb-17 07:52:14

Same here, merlot; one of our very favourite places, and the place we took GS for his first seaside experience!

gettingonabit Mon 13-Feb-17 09:10:57

Have you thought of Aberdovey? It's beautiful and there's always apartments for hire right on the seafront overlooking Cardigan Bay. Try The Lookout; s/c apartments, nice and modern, at about £80 per night. All with sea views.

Not a great deal in Aberdovey itself, but only 10 miles from Machynlleth which has everything.

Gorgeous scenery - the bottom end of Snowdonia-and a great base for travelling about, particularly on the Cambrian Coast Line.

cazthebookworm Tue 14-Feb-17 14:04:22

Thanks again for your suggestions. I eventually settled on Tenby where there are plenty of amenities, on the level, and apparently a coastal bus service which you can flag down anywhere, so not having a car, should be handy. I found a little one bed house just off the harbour, seems ideal, going in June and looking forward to itsmile

mumofmadboys Tue 14-Feb-17 14:36:38

Have a great holiday and please report back!

Greyduster Tue 14-Feb-17 19:15:29

We used to live at Manorbier and I would catch the bus to shop in Tenby. Manorbier Is a nice village with a good beach, a castle and easy access to the coast path. Left up to Freshwater and right back toward Tenby via Lydstep and Penally. If you can manage it the trip across to Caldey Island is well worth making. I wish I was coming with you! ?

Jalima Tue 14-Feb-17 20:12:03

We had a lovely holiday there years ago and we watched Penelope Keith visiting villages in that area, including Manorbier, the other night on tv.
Here's a link:
www.channel4.com/programmes/penelope-keiths-hidden-villages/on-demand/63027-004

cazthebookworm Wed 15-Feb-17 08:41:30

Yes I saw the programme Jalimaa friend textd me when it was on, all a lovely area which spurred me on to find somewhere. I have done a street search around Tenby Greyduster, and it looks exactly as you say, and to have everything I wanted....I will make the trip across to Caldey Islandand and be thinking of you !! Thanks again.

Jalima Wed 15-Feb-17 10:55:17

DH is hankering after going there again, it's years since we went.

cazthebookworm Wed 15-Feb-17 20:45:03

Perhaps you should, especially as you enjoyed it so much, I am sure you won't be disappointed.

Greyduster Wed 15-Feb-17 21:22:12

Our time living in Manorbier was the start of a long love affair with Pembrokeshire. We go there most years. Have covered most of it now from Tenby up to St Dogmaels and it never palls.