Gransnet forums

Travel

5* country hotel

(15 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 26-Feb-17 09:48:07

This may seem a bit previous but H will be 70 in April 2018.
I like to plan grin to be sure of getting exactly what we want.
Any reccomendations for a luxury country house hotel in Kent, Sussex, Hampshire., Berkshire. Gardens and views would be great.
Thanks

Moocow Sun 26-Feb-17 09:52:55

Have you ever tried trip advisor? I've found the views to be helpful/useful infinding places. Never been to any of the areas you list.

whitewave Sun 26-Feb-17 10:32:21

South Lodge near Horsham. 5*. We sort of use the restaurant as our local - it is a lovely country house. Churchill stayed there occasionally.

There are others I can let you know about if you are interested.

ninathenana Sun 26-Feb-17 13:13:26

Yes thanks Moocow I am registered with tripadvisor but would be interested to hear from other more mature guests.

MawBroon Sun 26-Feb-17 13:23:31

We liked the George in Rye, but I am not sure of its * rating. Lovely town to poke around in and nice places nearby too.

silverlining48 Sun 26-Feb-17 13:25:44

We often stay at the hythe imperial hotel in hythe kent. A nice old victorian hotel on the seafront. Lovely seafood restaurant 5 mi utes walk along the front. The town is attractive with the miniature dymnchurch railway to dungeoness down the road. Rye not far away. We spent our 40 th anniversary there some years ago. We like it.

Menopaws Sun 26-Feb-17 14:52:40

Balmer Lawn hotel, Brockenhurst, new forest, Hants. Excellent. Spa and swimming pool, excellent food, service, get room with balcony overlooking grounds, ponies and cows passing by all the time, new forest walks and cycles behind. Best week ever for a couple. Worth the money, have fun x

suzied Sun 26-Feb-17 16:31:46

You could stay at the Salutation in Sandwich hosted by Steph and Dom from Goggle-box. There's a lovely Gastropub round the corner and they have a beautiful garden. The Bell in Sandwich a lovely hotel. A good website is Sawdays special places to stay which has lots of tried and tested suggestions

suzied Sun 26-Feb-17 16:33:35

www.sawdays.co.uk/

granfromafar Sun 26-Feb-17 19:37:41

Have a look at Chilston Park country hotel near Maidstone, Kent. Listed as 4 star but have been to a wedding and afternoon tea there and it's wonderful. Beautiful setting and lots of places to visit nearby. Have a great time and well done for being so organised!

Norah Sun 26-Feb-17 23:26:41

We like the Manor House in Castle Combe, quintessential old UK. Also The Crazy Fox in Maidenhead is lovely, we love the breakfast and our GC love the river proximity.

silverlining48 Mon 27-Feb-17 11:32:39

menopaws We stayed at the balmer lawn many years ago, as did our daughters in laws, and both of us noticed an unpleasant smell despite there being a fair gap between Our stay and theirs. assume this no longer a problem.
They ought to have sorted it out by now!?

Menopaws Tue 28-Feb-17 04:50:03

Silver what a shame, I know they completely refurbed it a couple of years ago but still kept the interior authentic but as I said couldn't fault it and the only smell was the heavenly cooked breakfast!! Good luck wherever you go

grannypiper Tue 28-Feb-17 19:33:15

Ninathenana have you tried Groupon ? they have some fantastic deals, we managed to get a night in Edinburgh for £49

silverlining48 Wed 01-Mar-17 15:47:07

Menopaws good to hear the hotel has been refurbished, it Certainly needed it. A most unpleasant pong.