Gransnet forums

Travel

Kefalonia

(10 Posts)
callgirl1 Tue 04-Jul-17 00:59:06

Has anyone stayed at the Marina Bay studio apartments, or the hotel recently? We were there several years ago, and I`d love to go back again, but am interested in whether the steep dirt track leading from the main road to the beach area has been made into a proper tarmacked road yet?

callgirl1 Tue 04-Jul-17 00:59:59

I should have said that these apartments are at Mounda beach, near to Skala.

seasider Tue 04-Jul-17 07:39:40

I have wAnted to visit Kefalonia for years. Hoping to go in September. Please can anybody recommend a resort or area. Sorry to hijack your thread OP

pensionpat Tue 04-Jul-17 08:09:44

I loved Lixouri. You can take a short ferry ride to the main part of the island. You could also drive, but the breeze whilst on the ferry was brilliant.

Nanabilly Tue 04-Jul-17 08:45:06

We love all of kefalonia. The island is small enough for you to cover most of it while on holiday so you can find your own favourite bits for your next visit.
Been back many times but also quite a few years ago so probably many changes since then so probably best not to recommend places .
We were there when they filmed captain corelli film with Nicholas cage and we went to see the film set and we almost went to audition for parts as extras in the film but we had a trip planned for the audition day so could not go ..We almost cancelled the trip to audition .I wish we had done

Smithy Tue 04-Jul-17 09:23:46

Agree with comments, Kefalonia is a lovely island. I have been to Lassi which is beautiful, but like Lixouri as its flatter for walking. Some lovely beaches nearby and as said ferry ride is lovely and cooling.

Tegan2 Tue 04-Jul-17 11:43:50

seaside; I can't remember what time of year we went but I'm assuming it was September time; wasn't very warm and I've never seen rain like it. I did say when we arrived that it was very green for a Greek island, but never expected the sort of rainfall we experienced.It is a beautiful place, though.

Eloethan Tue 04-Jul-17 15:49:39

I agree with what others have said - virtually everywhere is nice. I particularly like Skala and Lassi.

callgirl1 Tue 04-Jul-17 18:09:01

We went in August, and it was way too hot for me, we certainly needed the optional A/C, I`d like to go again around Jun e time. I loved Mounda beach, and the apartments, but the road down from the main road was steep and unmade, only one taxi firm would risk it down there, so they could more or less name their own price. I`m hoping that it`s now a "proper" road.
The photos are of the apartments, hotel and beach, plus the complex`s pool, which is no longer an infinity pool, railings have been added across the back.

Moneyboss Fri 04-Aug-17 00:31:38

We went to Lourdas a few years ago. It was a very steep road from the top to the beach. You definitely need a car there. They were charging 7 euros each way for a taxi.