Gransnet forums

Travel

Airport parking

(15 Posts)
silverlining48 Mon 07-Aug-17 09:22:12

We are visiting our daughter and have been online to book airport parking at gatwick. Which ever site i looked at they all had the same off site companies with the same prices. So no competition and for just 2 days i thought exorbitant. We usually park on airport and noticed they were mot on the sites so checked gatwicks own onsite parking and found prices substantially lower than the off site companies. So am onsite with quicker easier transfers and savings too.

franjess2000 Mon 07-Aug-17 11:41:45

Try parkonmydrive.com

This is where people rent out space on their private driveways. I have used it twice and both times had an excellent experience. You make have a walk or bus ride to the airport but it's much cheaper than the rip off airport carparks

HildaW Mon 07-Aug-17 13:16:49

We do something different - we get a, local to us, taxi firm that is very reliable to pick us up from home and drive to the airport. Its not necessarily a cheap solution but so much less stressful - the company always contacts us a couple of days prior to the pick up to ensure all arrangements are unchanged and then we can relax and enjoy the holiday. We knew they were good at their job as they have a contract with a local private school to collect unaccompanied school children from abroad. When we return exhausted from a long flight we are then picked up as arranged and delivered home. Some travel companies include such an arrangement in their holidays as well - its such a relief knowing you do not have the long drive home.

JackyB Mon 07-Aug-17 14:17:38

We have used services where you park your car way away from the airport in a carpark (they have very good security) and are taken by minibus to and from the airport. It is considerably cheaper than parking at the airport (certainly Frankfurt airport is astronomical even for a couple of hours).

However, the last time we did this, the minibus to get us back to the carpark was considerably delayed, and then only took half the passengers and had to come back even later for us. It was late at night and we still had a 2-hour drive home when we got to our car. Next time, I think we'll just stay in an airport hotel and go home the next morning!

MawBroon Mon 07-Aug-17 18:44:18

Depending on how far away you live think of booking a car and driver. They are generally superior to your average mini cab and to know that you will be met and can relax all the way home is such a relief. In the event of your flight being diverted you can arrange for them to be at the correct airport too (the driver will check flight times etc)
I live in N Bucks and when I went to Sweden a few weeks ago my taxi to Heathrow was 8£80 each way, including waiting time.
Worth every penny.

J52 Mon 07-Aug-17 19:02:23

We also have a car and driver to the airports. I always think the holiday starts then, especially if it's an early morning flight.
Knowing that you will be picked up on return is great especially after a long haul flight. The drivers monitor the flight and know if it's delayed.

Auntieflo Tue 08-Aug-17 08:34:07

Another vote for a driver and car to the airport. We did this last year and it was well worth it. Mind you, coming back the driver went by a very convoluted route, but as we had paid a fixed fee, we didn't worry, as long as we arrived home safely..
Not flying this year, so coach or car smile

Welshwife Tue 08-Aug-17 09:09:41

Last time we flew to USA for family visit we looked at going to the airport by train etc and then I looked at Heathrow car parks - they were just a few pounds more than public transport. For five weeks parking it cost less than £140 with a bus to the terminal. We actually parked in the car park for terminal three as travelled out on an America. airlines plane but returned on a BA so terminal 5 - worst part was getting back to Term3 for the bus to pick us up and take us back to the car!

silverlining48 Tue 08-Aug-17 09:19:40

A bargain welshwife, it cost us over a third of that for just 2 days parking next week at gatwick. Will check out the park onmydrive option next time, suggested earlier. Thanks for that.

Norah Tue 08-Aug-17 09:43:48

We often hire a car and driver. Cheaper to all the days at the carpark.

Marmight Tue 08-Aug-17 10:44:07

I use valet parking at Edinburgh for short trips. It usually works out cheaper than a 2 way taxi fare and I hate parking in off site car parks and waiting for the courtesy bus, usually in the wet and dark. It's great to
drive within feet of the airport, pass the keys over and then return to the car ready and waiting. If I'm away for a long time, I organise a lift or a taxi.

silverlining48 Tue 08-Aug-17 13:41:27

We live only about 45 minutes drive to the airport, but a return minicab is twice the cost of airport parking.
We are a bit wary of valet parking as you cant be sure where your car will be parked whilst you are away. prefer to keep car keys with us.

DoubleD Thu 20-Sep-18 16:44:09

It's a bit expensive to use airport parking. If you are traveling, it takes time. Airport parking is ok if you will back in few days, but not any longer

DoubleD Mon 24-Sep-18 13:58:28

UPDATE: I have found a service for such things. You can check online avalailabilaty of parking and book it here if you will need it in future
gotoairportparking.com/london-gatwick-ap
Cheers

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Sep-18 14:27:51

Always use car and driver.

Last time we parked at Gatwick, our plane was diverted to Heathrow on the way home, flipping nightmare to get coach and 2 very tired children back to the car after a 9 hour flight.
No compensation as it was due to a "Hurricane".