Gransnet forums

Travel

Hotels in Crete

(9 Posts)
Daisydaughter Fri 11-Aug-17 19:05:02

Thinking of going to Crete for a week from 2 September. Need a bit of luxury as we have had a challenging year. Looking for recommendations for accommodation, preferably a hotel, but could be self catering. Needs to be near/on a beach with a choice of restaurants nearby.

Eglantine19 Sat 12-Aug-17 08:52:24

Not ignoring you Daisydaughter. I stayed at lovely hotel in Crete about 18 months ago but just can't find the details at the mo. I'll get back to you hopefully.

Tegan2 Sat 12-Aug-17 11:50:13

There's nowhere better to go if you've had a 'challenging year'. I haven't been to Crete for a long, long time but found the place incredibly relaxing; spoke to many people there who agreed with me that there's something almost 'spiritual' about the place. I know that sounds a bit bonkers, but the fact that other felt the same must mean that it has a magical quality. We used to stay at Chania and I'd sunbathe in the morning/late afternoon and walk in the orange groves and hillsides every afternoon. I'd love to go back!

dogsdinner Sat 12-Aug-17 12:14:11

Almyrida Residence hotel nr Chania is a luxury smallish hotel right on the beach with loads of tavernas along the seafront.

For larger luxury hotels quite a few along the beach road near Georgopolis, but the bigger ones tend to be outside towns. Chania has some lovely luxury hotels but in town not nr beach.

Have a great holiday, weather should be still hot and sunny then.

Moneyboss Sat 12-Aug-17 18:07:40

We've been to Georgioupolis twice and really enjoyed ourselves. The bigger hotels are a little out of the town, there is one hotel, but I can't remember which one, that runs a bus into town and back. If you do decide on this resort please give the Fereniki hotel a miss, it's the only hotel I have made a complaint about, it was awful.
Agios Nikolaos is lovely and has some nice hotels too, though again, the bigger hotels are on the edge of the town.

Daisydaughter Sun 13-Aug-17 09:30:39

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. Will look into them. ?

SueD Sun 13-Aug-17 10:06:09

Our very first holiday together - some 37 years ago- was to Crete. We stayed at the Creta Maris hotel which was wonderful. It was springtime and the wild flowers in the hills and the peach blossom just added to the mix. A memorable Sunday morning bike ride along the coast with snow topped mountains one side of us and beautiful beaches the other side followed by lunch in a very Cretan taverna. We need to go back!

Daisydaughter Tue 15-Aug-17 19:16:06

Am hoping to go to the Amyrida Residence which looks great. Can't book yet as can't get travel insurance quote for a few more weeks due to recent surgery,

Daisydaughter Tue 22-Aug-17 13:40:10

Just checked out Creta Maris as possible alternative to Almyrida and it is all sold out in October! Must be good.