Gransnet forums

Travel

Travel insurance for cancer sufferers (in remission)

(11 Posts)
Rosiebee Sun 03-Sep-17 13:50:27

We went through our Nat West Bank. We have to pay something each month for a Platinum Account, which includes holiday insurance and then, a premium for DH's medical conditions. It may sound expensive but the cover is for the full year and is world wide. When he was first diagnosed with cancer, 7 years ago, most firms charged for each holiday and restricted where you could go. As long as we are able we will try to have a Big Trip each year going to far flung places. One Hong Kong / Thailand trip had to be cancelled at the last minute because of a medical issue and the bank refunded the cost of holiday, which we rebooked for following year. Off to Canada and USA in two weeks, because we can. That's our motto now. smile But be very open with any firm about medical conditions because if you leave something out, you could come a cropper if anything went wrong on holiday. Remember these are businesses not charities.

Madgran77 Thu 31-Aug-17 07:01:04

AllClear insurance ...I have used them several times

grannyticktock Wed 30-Aug-17 22:34:10

When my husband had cancer with no prospect of a cure, many companies would not insure him at all, or wanted a sum that exceeded the cost of the holiday. Eventually we found that the insurance that comes with the Nationwide Flexplus current account would cover him. The account now costs £13 a month but you can recoup some of that in interest. You don't have to make it your main bank account. He had to pay an extra fee, but it was still much better value than anything we found elsewhere, and it was worldwide, annual travel cover.

Their main criterion seemed to be the number of treatments or drugs you're currently using, rather than your past medical history, and they didn't ask nearly as many intrusive questions as some other insurers.

It made a huge difference to his last couple of years, and allowed us several more lovely holidays together.

Daisydaughter Tue 22-Aug-17 13:24:55

Thanks all. Will Post back with how I get on. Insurewith will not even give a quote till 6-12 weeks after surgery, so have had to postpone booking anything until mid-September. I'm not on any drugs, and nor is my husband, so will also try Holidaysafe as recommended above.

jaymbee36 Tue 22-Aug-17 11:32:25

Hope you manage to find an insurance you can afford, let me know how you get on.

Marydoll Mon 21-Aug-17 13:02:06

Jaymbee Thanks for that info. Mine is about to expire and the cost is more expensive than a holiday.

jaymbee36 Mon 21-Aug-17 12:40:30

I had cancer of the womb 4 years ago and as I have family in America found the insurance was costing more than the flights - £1100 for 7 weeks and £600 for 4 weeks until I contacted Holidaysafe - recommended by a member of Gransnet - where I got 4 weeks cover for £161. They go about getting your information a different way by asking what drugs you are taking instead of what you are suffering from.

Daisydaughter Sun 13-Aug-17 09:32:20

Thank you for the advice. Also need a letter from our GP to say we are fit to travel I believe.

glammanana Sat 12-Aug-17 18:21:16

We got a really good quote from Staysure,also heard insurancewith is good we are going to get a quote from them prior to deciding on insurance for our October holiday.

Moneyboss Sat 12-Aug-17 18:13:25

I haven't used them myself but a friend said insurancewith.com are reasonably priced, also Euro tunnel do insurance for people with pre-existing illnesses.

Daisydaughter Fri 11-Aug-17 19:08:51

Can anyone recommend a reasonable insurance company for travellers with cancer.p? Both my husband and I have been diagnosed and treated for different types this year.