Gransnet forums

Travel

Ronda, Spain

(20 Posts)
callgirl1 Sun 27-Aug-17 23:49:23

Has anyone on here been to Ronda? I`m trying to pluck up the courage to go away on my own next year, and love the look of Ronda, but wondered how easy (or not) it will be for me to get around with reduced mobility.

Eloethan Mon 28-Aug-17 01:03:04

We had a day in Ronda when we travelling in Spain. Despite it being a rather overcast day, it was very enjoyable - an interesting place with fantastic views from the bridge. It was quite a while ago so I don't recall too much but if you do an internet search I'm sure you will be able to find a lot more information about what there is to do and see and whether it is suitable for people with reduced mobility.

I

annsixty Mon 28-Aug-17 02:02:58

We also did a day there when holidaying in Nerja.
It didn't seem the sort of place to spend a holiday to me but a day can only give a taste.
Do lots or research as Eloethan suggests.

Welshwife Mon 28-Aug-17 08:11:52

It is as the others say a lovely place with great views but I would wonder about getting around - or indeed getting about once there - it is in the middle of the mountains and I seem to remember driving for sometime to get there. We were staying not far from Algeciras and drove down to Marbella afterwards.

annsixty Mon 28-Aug-17 08:21:14

It was a very difficult place to get to by car and the drive was hairraising at times but is often included on coach trips so there must be easier routes than the one we took.
I wonder if a coach trip could be your answer callgirl perhaps classical Spain which would take in some lovely places like Seville, Granada and probably Ronda as well.

Oriel Mon 28-Aug-17 08:22:37

We stopped off for a day but I don't think it's somewhere I'd want to spend any longer than that. However, saying that I remember that there is a Parador Hotel overlooking the gorge. If your budget would stretch to staying there it would be an amazing place to stay.

tanith Mon 28-Aug-17 09:02:32

Here's the tourist info address for Ronda if you email them they will answer your questions and send you information.

[email protected]

Jalima1108 Mon 28-Aug-17 09:21:59

We had a day there when we were staying on the coast at Puerto Banus. Unwittingly we had picked a festival day and it was wonderful, all the little girls were dressed up in their Spanish dresses and everyone was drinking sherry in the streets grin
I don't know what it would be like for a longer holiday though.

Day6 Mon 28-Aug-17 09:41:28

I get the impression Ronda is one of those places on the coach tour itinerary.

I am glad I went and the views are wonderful but I am not sure there is enough there to want to spend more than a day looking around. It does get busy too.

You have had some great advice already which I cannot add to but I do hope you pluck up the courage to treat yourself to a holiday. There are some fabulous tours of wonderful inland Spanish towns and cities.

lemongrove Mon 28-Aug-17 09:57:02

callgirl no, do not stay, only visit Ronda with reduced mobility.Actually stay in Nerja, on the coast, fairly flat everywhere, nice place to stay, friendly with lots of cafes and flowers and clean.

trisher Mon 28-Aug-17 10:05:56

I did a day visit as well but would love to go back. However I agree about it not being suitable for reduced mobility, as I remember it was quite hilly with lots of pebbled (cobbled?) narrow streets. The Parador was fantastic and if I could afford it I'd stay there if I went back. It's somewhere for a few days rather than an extended holiday I think.

Eglantine19 Mon 28-Aug-17 10:15:46

There are two roads into Rondo. The first one was so hair-raising we came back on the other, longer one. It was even more scary!
We found a day in Ronda was plenty. There's not really a lot for visitors but if you want to live for a week in a Spanish town it's fine.

NanaandGrampy Mon 28-Aug-17 13:04:56

We stayed for a week Ina glorious villa with a pool just outside Ronda. Book a meal at the Parador , the food was great ( I had roast suckling pig) . The cobbles on some streets are not great for mobility scooters but the main road is fine . Lots of seats and cafes to people watch.

I didn't have any problems.

whitewave Mon 28-Aug-17 13:09:07

Ronda is extremely hilly with many of the streets cobbled.

So only you can really know if it is doable callgirl

It is worth a visit though if you can make it.

whitewave Mon 28-Aug-17 13:11:47

And I would add that you might like to ensure there is no bull fighting festival on as it would be very crowded - there is a bull ring in the centre of the town and for me I'd rather not be around when such cruel activities are taking place.

callgirl1 Mon 28-Aug-17 17:19:41

Thank you for all your very helpful replies. I`ve been looking at hotels in Ronda, but if I want somewhere near to the bridge, it`s going to cost me dearly, which I can`t afford, so I may, reluctantly, give it a miss. It actually seems busier than I wanted as well, I was looking for somewhere old and quaint, but quiet, with just a few shops, and great scenery. I don`t even know yet if I`m brave enough to go it alone, regarding a holiday, just dreaming at the moment.

trisher Mon 28-Aug-17 18:38:10

callgirl I don't know how limited your mobility is but when I was searching for holidays that might suit my mum came across this www.limitlesstravel.org/tours/#great-british-tours
They do short breaks in the UK as well as foreign holidays, this might be a good place to start if you are a bit nervous. Do go for it holidays on your own are great.

Jalima1108 Mon 28-Aug-17 19:46:03

We also saw a bullfighter on his horse on the festival day. Now, before I am castigated, I am totally against bull-fighting and think it should be abolished - but I must admit that he did look spectacular in his outfit riding that huge prancing horse!

Jalima1108 Mon 28-Aug-17 19:47:10

What about Mijas? That is not far away, not on the coast but near and also not far from Ronda.

callgirl1 Tue 29-Aug-17 17:00:47

I posted last night, but it`s not here. I was just thanking Trisher for the info, I will look into that site.