Gransnet forums

Travel

Speed Cameras 5 things you might not know 2017

(15 Posts)
Deeana1 Fri 01-Sep-17 19:37:33

1. Speeding fines now start at £100

Most people know that speeding fines have increased. They now cost £100 as a standard, rather than £60. However, many people are unaware that there is a new way to calculate speeding fines. They can now be based on up to 175% of your weekly income – meaning that fines can actually be significantly higher than £100.

This means that someone earning £30,000 a year (or £577 a week) could face a maximum fine of up to £866 for a speeding offence. The new guidelines advise that these higher rate fines should be used for more serious offenders, rather than (for example) someone doing 32 in a 30mph zone. More serious offences are known as Band C offences. They apply to anyone doing ‘well in excess’ of the limit on a particular road.

2. HADECS cameras work all the time

HADECS cameras are the ones put up by Highways England. They are the most cutting edge technology of the speed camera world. HADECS cameras are seen on motorways such as the M1, M6, M25 and M62 and they are in operation all of the time. There are different styles of these cameras, many of which are smaller than traditional cameras. Some use a radar system that takes just 0.2 milliseconds to register your speed – and your number plate.

3. Radar detection vans only work on one lane

Mobile speed cameras – or radar detection vans – are usually operated by the local police force. They tend to be used in accident blackspots. For police to use mobile cameras, there needs to be a sign up to alert motorists that they are present. Mobile speed cameras only work on one lane. However, this doesn’t have to be the lane they are closest to.

Mobile speed cameras also only work on a straight section of road. They have a range up to two miles but can’t see around bends or over hills.

4. You can sue the police for writing to you about speeding

If you have one of those people in your area who decides to invest in a speed camera, and starts snapping photos or footage with it, don’t immediately panic if they record you. If you receive a letter from the police based on evidence from that camera, you can actually sue the police for using an untrained camera operator. Not everyone can be a speed camera operator – only those from designated authorities like the police or Highways England can legally fulfil the role.

5. Traffic light cameras are multi-functional

Traffic light cameras do more than just watch for red light offences. As original traffic light camera models were replaced, new multi-functional models were installed. The new models mean that you can get a speeding ticket from a traffic light camera even if you didn’t skip the light.

ginny Fri 01-Sep-17 20:33:35

Interesting to know. Of course if you don't speed none of it matters really.

M0nica Fri 01-Sep-17 20:45:32

I think the OP's name says it all.

Deeana1 Fri 01-Sep-17 23:33:08

Sorry Monica I don't know what you mean about my name ?

Deeana1 Fri 01-Sep-17 23:35:18

Ginny yes you're absolutely right of course about not speeding, but sometimes just even 5 miles over the speeding limit could land you a ticket, and it's something new to me that the minimum fine is £100 now. Fortunately I've never had a ticket for anything ..touch wood now'... but it's always good to be well informed about new laws..

M0nica Sat 02-Sep-17 15:43:54

My apologies, I had not seen your name before and assumed you were one of those fly by nights, who thinks it amusing to tell us grandmother's what we usually know. I am afraid GN attracts them. They often chose names that are mildly insulting and I just looked at the last four letters of your name and assumed that is what you are.

As I said I do really apologise for jumping to conclusions without justification.

Ailsa43 Sat 02-Sep-17 19:14:46

Your apology is accepted M0nica , my name was Deeana 1 rather than what you read it as..

However I was so totally taken aback by the comments, I asked admin if my name could be chamged so other people don't take the same view as you with regard my name..

I've been a member of GN for several years, and read most days, I'm just not a huge poster .

Many thanks again for your apology.

emmasnan Sat 02-Sep-17 20:03:59

The fixed penalty is indeed £100 but the fine can be whatever the court decides.
Much of the information about speed camera enforcement is incorrect.

Ailsa43 Sat 02-Sep-17 21:38:08

Emmasnan this information has come directly from a trusted motoring site which gives regular updates on everything to do with motoring.

I can't argue with the fact that you find some of the speed enforcement info wrong because I only know what this site has printed..just yesterday...

As I stated in the Copy and paste from the website..that I posted..Speeding Fines START at £100

emmasnan Sat 02-Sep-17 21:53:07

The £100 fixed penalty was increased from £60 in July 2013 so is nothing new.
Speeding fines imposed by magistrates can be any amount they decide (taking guidelines into consideration) up to the maximum and are often less than £100. Laser camera vans can cover as many lanes as they can see in either direction.
What is this trusted motoring site? They are misleading people and need to be set straight!

Anya Sun 03-Sep-17 07:14:04

However, don't let that stop you posting Ailsa - that mix up about your name was quite amusing!

Luckylegs9 Sun 03-Sep-17 08:25:03

Deeanal, I didn't see anything untoward in you name. It was a very interesting posting, thank you. Don't change your name, just because some people make something out of nothing.

Ailsa43 Sun 03-Sep-17 09:15:41

Thank you for your support Anya and Luckylegs

The name change is a done deed now, but thank you anyway. smile

TriciaF Sun 03-Sep-17 14:21:56

So what are the speed limits in the UK now? We haven't driven there for many years.
In France they vary from 30- 50kph in towns and villages right up to 130kph on motorways.
Fines from 45€ upwards. And a variety of points deducted.
(You start with 12 here.)

Mamie Sun 03-Sep-17 15:27:57

You get the points back if you don't offend within 6 months though Tricia.
I like the big signs on motorway gantries that give the car's registration and say Trop Vite.
We saw a lot of that on our way south yesterday!