Gransnet forums

Travel

WARNING is your passport valid for your trip?

(17 Posts)
Nonnie Fri 06-Oct-17 16:33:54

A friend has just been denied check-in for her flight to Malaysia because she and her DH only had 5 months left on their passports. I was aware that for many countries you need at least 6 months but clearly she and her DH were not.

Just putting it on here in case any of you are not aware.

oldgoat Fri 06-Oct-17 16:49:04

Thanks for the reminder nonnie
OH and I are going on a cruise around the Hebrides in May and my passport expires in March. Apparently we must have a valid passport just in case the ship has to sail out of British waters.

petra Fri 06-Oct-17 22:11:44

oldgoat
I would be a bit concerned that a cruise round the hebredies warned me that there might be a possibility that they might sale out of British waters shock

hildajenniJ Fri 06-Oct-17 22:28:28

We are going on our first cruise next August. We went yesterday to renew our passports as they were out of date. I was aware of the rules regarding the length of time left on your passport, but it's a timely warning.

MawBroon Fri 06-Oct-17 23:22:37

Perhaps The Hebrides are declaring UDI - has Nicola Sturgeon dropped any hints?
However I am shocked that this demand has been made. It would rule Paw out, he didn’t bother to renew his passport last time round on the basis he wasn’t going abroad,

FarNorth Sat 07-Oct-17 00:58:21

He won't be going on any UK flights either, then?
I hope you don't need any of those to get to the but and ben.

MawBroon Sat 07-Oct-17 03:35:43

Actually no.
Car would be the only way he could travel.

oldgoat Sat 07-Oct-17 04:54:05

Not only do we need a passport for this cruise around the Hebrides, but on-board spending has to be paid for in US dollars.

MawBroon Sat 07-Oct-17 07:38:48

That really is going too far!

Humbertbear Sat 07-Oct-17 08:42:16

Just another pointer - my husband cannot get travel insurance due to his medical conditions and we were unable to go with friends on a cruise round Great zbritain because the boat was due to dock in France and Dublin. Also, you need travel insurance if you go to the Isle of Man!

Auntieflo Sat 07-Oct-17 08:46:57

Why on earth/sea, does your onboard spending have to be in US$ ? ( I suppose the ship is a US vessel). Do you then have to go through all the faffery of exchange rates etc? I can just imagine the comments, if a boatful of US citizens had to pay for everything in GB£.

ninathenana Sat 07-Oct-17 08:48:37

I thought you could do internal flights with a photo ID. Pretty sure D has done that in the past. Unless tgey have clamped down since.

MissAdventure Sat 07-Oct-17 09:41:22

I used to fly to Scotland with an out of date passport. It could be up to 5 years out of date and still be valid for domestic flights.

oldgoat Sat 07-Oct-17 11:11:32

We are cruising round the Hebrides with Noble Caledonia. In addition to the passport requirements and on -board spending being in US dollars, they insist on us having holiday insurance and won't issue our documents until we forward the details. Apparently, this is because the vessel is not registered in the UK.
The cruise sounds lovely but I wish that we had read all the small print before we booked - thought it sounded like a British company!

Tweedle24 Sat 07-Oct-17 12:33:03

Not the same, I know, but once my husband’s flight to Glasgow was diverted to Reykjavik because of bad weather. Maybe, the cruise company is being extra careful in case they have to be diverted to a port outside the UK.

SueDonim Sat 07-Oct-17 12:56:12

The passport requirement will be in case of diversion to another country, possibly due to bad weather or maybe illness onboard ship.

My Dh used to work offshore and the helicopter home got diverted to Norway. Because few men had passports with them, they were kept under guard in a room at the airport until the helicopter was able to leave again.

oldgoat Sat 07-Oct-17 13:54:54

I don't fancy being kept under lock and key, SueDonim . I'm off to renew my passport now.