Gransnet forums

Travel

August in La Rochelle

(9 Posts)
JaneAnn Sun 08-Oct-17 18:04:40

Can you advise me whether air con is desirable?

Oriel Sun 08-Oct-17 19:18:10

I've spent time on the Ill de Rey which is just off the coast from La Rochelle. It does get very hot. Do you mean air con in a rental property?

Welshwife Sun 08-Oct-17 20:04:22

I think it depends on the construction of the house as much as the outside temperature. We have a mobile unit which we sometimes use but not often.
I have a ceiling fan and I find that is great when it gets very hot but our house has insulation and the actual build means it retains the cool anyway. If you are going to a stone house the walls are often so thick the house remains cool.

JaneAnn Mon 23-Oct-17 11:25:53

yes I did mean air con in rental accommodation - very very few have it

Welshwife's response is very interesting

Mamie Mon 23-Oct-17 11:37:48

I would want it in August. We are in Normandy and have it in our bedroom. We have stone walls, good insulation and shutters but we had 30° at times upstairs this year.
If the property is a typical holiday home, then I would say definitely.

Nandalot Mon 23-Oct-17 11:41:02

I don’t think it is needed. We had a small holiday home between La Rochelle and Royan and used to go in August and didn’t need it. We used to shut the bedroom shutters on the sun side during the day. We didn’t even have a fan.

Mamie Mon 23-Oct-17 11:44:50

We used not to need it. This summer we had temperatures in the high thirties for days at a time and this seems far more frequent than when we first moved here.

JaneAnn Thu 26-Oct-17 09:38:19

Thank you all. In the end I have booked an apartment in an old building, without air con, but £1500 cheaper than the only air con place I could find that might be suitable - I'll be able to buy a lot of fans with £1500 if it is too hot!!

Very excited about our trip - myself and two grand-daughters.

J52 Thu 26-Oct-17 10:38:33

Loved La Rochelle. Take an opportunity to eat outside at a harbour side restaurant and watch the world go by.
Hope you enjoy it.