Gransnet forums

Travel

can anyone tell me please

(8 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 18-Nov-17 18:29:37

Are you allowed to take a crochet hook on a flight with Virgin. Has anyone ever done this?

Being as i am on a long flight later this week i thought it would help to pass the time to crochet and have something useful at the end to show for the time sitting down!!! lol

NfkDumpling Sat 18-Nov-17 18:31:34

I doubt it, although a plastic one may sneak through.

Grannyknot Sat 18-Nov-17 18:38:01

travelsafar I have on more than one occasion taken on a long haul: wooden/bamboo crochet hook (I thought it would be better than trying it on with a metal one) and circular knitting needles grin - at least one flight was Virgin.

I held my breath for the X-ray but not as much as a murmur from the staff.

Good luck.

The worse thing that can happen is they take it off-a you. Mid-flight a flight attendant stopped and said "I wish I'd brought mine".

mostlyharmless Sat 18-Nov-17 19:14:45

One of my daughters works as cabin crew for Virgin.
She's here for the weekend so I've just asked her about taking crochet hooks on a flight and she says people take knitting needles so thinks a crochet hook would be fine. Plastic might be better than metal as it wouldn't trigger any alarms.

travelsafar Sat 18-Nov-17 21:21:06

Many thanks for replies, I will take a wooden one to be on the safe side.

storynanny Sat 18-Nov-17 21:24:25

I always take wooden or circular needles and plastic or wooden hooks on all flights, never had a problem.

nanasam Sat 18-Nov-17 21:39:04

I'm off to Sydney next week and will be taking my knitting on board Singapore Airlines. They don't seem to have any restrictions on needles but scissors are not allowed.

travelsafar Wed 22-Nov-17 09:35:31

I found some plastic ones in local charity shop yesterday so will take those to be on the safe side. Once again thanks for help everyone.