Gransnet forums

Travel

Greek ferries

(8 Posts)
Stansgran Thu 04-Jan-18 09:32:45

Has anyone done any Greek island hopping recently?
DH I think wants to relive his student life and do some island hopping using a firm called Sunvil. They have a good reputation but I wonder if they are for the young and able bodied. They use the local ferries. If I remember the ferries you have about a 10 minute turn round to get off with your rucksack and they can often veer off to another island if the spirit takes them. But that was 50 years ago.

whitewave Thu 04-Jan-18 09:43:41

Last time we went was about 5 or 6 years ago and perfectly fine. People of all ages use them, after all people of all ages live on the islands.

Fennel Thu 04-Jan-18 10:04:21

We went in the 70s and had a wonderful time. But we didn't use a firm like that - just flew to Athens, then crossed to get the ferry to Andros. Then here and there, unplanned. We had a tent and slept on the beaches.
I would think an important point is to pick a time to go when there aren't any high winds, if you're going to the Aegean. We went in August and a few days were unpleasant because of the cold winds.

jollyg Thu 04-Jan-18 10:40:18

Yes Whitewave, the people who live on the islands are a sturdy lot, and the F/Bs are just like a bus to them.

Until recently we always used the ferries, and found accommodation waiting for custom at the quayside when the ferry docked, except on Nissyros where there was no one, so we had to go on a hunt.

Many good friendships made in Greece that way.

You don't need a company to do that for you. And chose your time o travel

Sunlover Thu 04-Jan-18 13:03:05

My friend and I both in our 60’s did 3 weeks Greek island hopping in September 2017. It was great. We visited Leeds,Symi, Rhodes and Kos. We started and finished our trip in Bodrum Turkey.
We booked our ferries beforehand but think if we did it again we would be more flexible. Booked hotels on Booking.com.
We had no problems with managing the ferries. I would recommend this as a great holiday and it was lovely to see how each island differed. Enjoy.

Sunlover Thu 04-Jan-18 13:04:02

Leros! Not Leedssmile

ginny Thu 04-Jan-18 13:30:55

We used them last year. No problems. Maybe safety standards for embarking and disbarking are not quite the same as ours but we had no problems.

Stansgran Thu 04-Jan-18 17:37:05

Thank you . Most helpful.