Gransnet forums

Travel

Coach trips/tours

(60 Posts)
jordana Wed 21-Feb-18 16:10:51

We don't know whether to try a coach trip this year. We drive to lots of places and stay at hotels etc and we do like the independence of stopping when we feel like it and go off the Beaten track. Now we are getting older and there is so much traffic now, I don't find it as relaxing as I used to so thought a coach trip might be an alternative. Has anyone been on holiday by coach? Only for the UK I might add

perry75 Mon 11-May-20 12:04:46

As most coach holidays are populated by seniors and people with limited mobility I am amassed that no one has come uo with a devise (ie: lift) to help these passengers get uo the 3 0r 4 internal steps from the cab area to the saloon. most modern coaches are able to lower the entrance to footpath level, the problem arises once this is negotiated. An example is my wheelchair bound wife can get onto a coach but is unable to negotiate the internal steps, if she was able to do this she would be able to reach her seat by holding onto the backs of the seats as she passed along the saloon who can come up with a solution to our problem?

M0nica Wed 10-Oct-18 22:15:22

Some years ago my PiL took themselves to Windermere by train (direct from their local station), booked a hotel and then booked day tours with Mountain Goat. They mixed tour days with days spent relaxing at the hotel. Mountain Goat

I have looked at their website www.mountain-goat.com/ , they now run tours in Yorkshire. They mainly use mini bises and go to places ordinary coaches cannot reach.

If you are unsure about coach tours, this might be the ideal alternative.

Ontheroad Wed 10-Oct-18 21:31:57

Thanks for the input folks, frankly Scribbles, you share my thoughts in the subject, I do think if early morning shopping excursions wanted an entertainer there would already be others doing it... I’ve written a little quiz already as suggested (I think I’ll draw the line at karaoke sans music at that time in the day...)

Scribbles Wed 10-Oct-18 18:56:34

Sorry, my post above should have been addressed to Ontheroad. (I have trouble multi-tasking these days....)

Gymstagran Wed 10-Oct-18 18:30:56

Hi travelsafar. Read the itinerary of the proposed trip carefully. Generally where meals are included the group is seated together. I've often gone on my own and find fellow travellers are friendly. If you want to sit with others it's usually possible likewise if you want to be on your own you can often do that too.

MiniMoon Wed 10-Oct-18 16:35:48

I'm going on a coach trip to the Trossachs next month. Early Christmas, it's entitled Turkey and Tinsel in the Trossachs. Five nights. I didn't fancy it when DH booked it, but now I'm really looking forward to it.

Scribbles Wed 10-Oct-18 16:12:55

If I thought I would have to endure "entertainment" on a coach trip, I wouldn't go! Is it really too difficult for people to watch the scenery going by or chat to the person in the next seat? If it is, then they can take a book and/or headphones with phone or Mp3 player.

Whatever kind of "entertainment" jordana lays on, at least some of the passengers will hate it.

travelsafar Wed 10-Oct-18 14:02:54

What about a quiz with a prize for the winner. You could also do Kareoke if you have a mike and people are willing to join in, they would have to sing without music obviously.

Ontheroad Wed 10-Oct-18 13:23:10

Has anyone been on a coach trip where there has been on board entertainment? I’m hosting a trip from Edinburgh to Gateshead for the Metro centre & my boss wants a guide on the coach but not to do a guided tour, more just keep the guests entertained (no radio or DVD allowed) any ideas? Or would you rather be left alone? It leaves at 7am after all...

Ontheroad Wed 10-Oct-18 13:12:56

Curious. Have any of you had a coach trip that had on board entertainment? I’ve been asked to host a trip from Scotland down to the Metrocentre in Gateshead. It leaves at 7am & I’m supposed to keep people entertained (not allowed to use the radio or DVD system) any ideas? Frankly would you rather just be let alone? I’ve got some pages of the story of things we will see on the road & a little quiz (that sort of thing)

travelsafar Mon 05-Mar-18 08:49:29

I am doing my first coach trip next month on my own.OH doesn't do holidays or outings. I am looking forward to it but my main concern is eating on my own.Some of you seasoned travellers may be able to tell me what to do. Do I just sit at an empty table in the hope that someone else will join me or do other travellers generally invite single people to join them?

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Mar-18 11:39:09

Well, you do normally have to eat at a certain time, but I've never seen that as any hardship. And of course they've to have a fixed time for the coach to leave, how else would it work? hmm If you don't want to be "regimented", just don't go on the excursions. Simple!

jordana Sat 03-Mar-18 23:14:18

That doesn't sound inviting blue. As you say, sounds like a school trip. Hopefully they are not all like that

Blue45Sapphire Sat 03-Mar-18 22:11:27

Went on a week's coach tour to Scotland, absolutely hated it, too regimented.Not so much the coach days out , but the hotels, being told when you had to eat, and having sittings for meals, it was like a boarding school - "coach A will be down for breakfast at 8am precisely and your coach will leave exactly 1 hour later on your excursion for the day." And your evening meal will be at exactly 8 pm and you will not be allowed to take your time over it because there is another coach group after you. Never again, ever....

Nelliemoser Thu 01-Mar-18 13:44:42

How does it do for Singles?
The general messages I am getting seem generally positive. I fully understand the points made about not having to drive.
The OH would not particularly like this and was a pain in the butt when we went on a U3A tour in Europe. Wandering off and delaying everyone. ( He has Aspergers and cannot deal with the social side very well at all. )

Blinko Thu 01-Mar-18 13:24:19

Thanks, Jordana, we're looking forward to it.

jordana Tue 27-Feb-18 12:48:56

I did that years ago. Great trip and bought some tulips whilst there

Blinko Tue 27-Feb-18 11:56:26

Amsterdam and the Keukenhof gardens in April with Shearings. can't wait!

jordana Sun 25-Feb-18 18:12:14

Thank you ladies for your ideas and tips etc. I have decided on a 2 day trip to the lake district and then if we like that, we may go a 4 day coach tour to harrogate and York at easter

annsixty Fri 23-Feb-18 20:31:24

When my SiL was widowed , she still wanted to holiday and I went with her twice on coach trips to firstly Eastbourne and then Sidmouth, both really good hotels.
Good trips nice companions and excellent drivers.
The only downside was entirely personal my SiL would not agree to single rooms and I found it very hard to share.
As an experience it was good and I would repeat it with single rooms, sadly my SiL has now died and I have a disabled H .

janc Fri 23-Feb-18 20:19:44

Try a short trip and take it from there?

jimmyRFU Fri 23-Feb-18 17:59:40

We have done the odd coach trip years ago. Then with the kids it was static caravans. Thinking we would be free to do and go wherever when they left home but now we are parents to a dog with long term health issues who no one will take care of. At 60 and 67 our holidays are over unless we do a caravan in the UK. Just as we thought we would be getting our lives back. Go for it. Book it all. Get out there.

grannyactivist Fri 23-Feb-18 17:49:35

I went on a Leger trip to the Dolomites a few years back and thoroughly enjoyed it. As has been said up thread, there was a 'lounge' area at the back with seats at a circular table and people got up for a mingle and a chat as suited them. There was a very frequent drinks service and the majority of the people on my coach drank like fish much to my surprise. Most people were 75+, but very jolly and everyone else was a seasoned regular with coach tours, hence a lot of people had met before on other tours. There was a lovely atmosphere, the drivers were brilliant and there was no music other than what you chose for yourself from the screen in front of you.

FlorenceFlower Fri 23-Feb-18 17:28:57

Many years ago, before I was married, I was in Australia working on my own and went on a two week coach and camping trip from Sydney to the Great Barrier Reef and back, through the Blue Mountains, etc. It was great, couldn’t have done it in the time on my own, and am still in touch with some of the people I met.

Have also been to Cuba, Albania and a couple of other countries with a female friend using VJV, Voyages Jules Verne, which were very good.

Last year I went with my husband to New Zealand for a holiday and he didn’t want to go to Hobbiton so I went on a one day coach trip without him, much to his amazement! I didn’t want to drive our rental car down there on my own, so the coach day trip from Auckland to Hobbiton was very relaxing. I met an amazing number of people, both single and married, all ages and from many nationalities (some Japanese, Koreans, Canadians, etc). Everyone was a fan of the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings, and I had a wonderful day.

My husband hates the idea of coach trips (never having been on one, it has to be said!) but in general I like them. As with any holiday, dont get upset by minor issues, or irritated by some other people being a bit bossy. Perhaps plan some free time on your own, possibly have a meal or two away from everyone else, and do take advantage of someone else doing the driving and organising.

Quite well off friends of mine go on several coach trips a year, either in the UK or Europe, they go in a group of five and join a bigger trip, they say they couldn’t drive to the places for the price, it’s always possible to order more wine (!) and you may meet people you really get on with. ?

Herbie9 Fri 23-Feb-18 16:11:36

We've enjoyed several coach holidays abroad but for now are exploring more of UK. Always look at Tripadvisor reviews which are very helpful. Our local coach companies pick us up locally on a feeder coach, some have a pick up from home service for a reasonable fee, but we haven't tried that yet. Experienced pleasant drivers and the luggage has always been handled by them and delivered to your room on arrival. Enough comfort stops en route. They are very good value and make for a relaxing short break.